Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17th, 2019 Snow Event

cyclone77

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Me Too! Lol. I love Winter and never get tired of it. We've certainly had a better Winter here then theyve had on the East Coast, but its been much better for the Western portion of the subforum.  Last Winter I ended up with 62.5" of snow, however about 53" had fallen by this point. So far this Winter season, I am at 23.9".

I see with this event Chicago is going to lock in an above average snow season. I had mentioned earlier, Chicago had only beaten Detroit one Winter out of the last 8. This Winter they are well ahead.  Detroit seasonal average is at 42.4", and so far this season, 24.2" has fallen so we have a ways to go. I am liking tomorrow for some fresh snow however.

At 41.5" for the season, here to your east in Toronto we've had above normal snowfall to date. When I get home I'll have to check how BUF and CLE are doing for the season. Could it be a rare and elusive DTW screwhole? :stun:

I already had 0.7” at 7am from that initial wave of moderate heavy snow which is a good head start. 

LOT, DVN, and DMX radar loops all look pretty solid right now. Starting to think this is an overachiever across some portions of this area. Good radar returns about to come back into parts of western metro and nice uptick looping DVN. 

Latest hi res continues to suggest widespread 4-5” with higher amounts across far northeast IL from added lake enhancement/lake effect. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

I already had 0.7” at 7am from that initial wave of moderate heavy snow which is a good head start. 

LOT, DVN, and DMX radar loops all look pretty solid right now. Starting to think this is an overachiever across some portions of this area. Good radar returns about to come back into parts of western metro and nice uptick looping DVN. 

Latest hi res continues to suggest widespread 4-5” with higher amounts across far northeast IL from added lake enhancement/lake effect. 

Yep, woke up and saw that first batch lifting north and got pretty nervous, but the radar has really blossomed over the past 1-2 hours. Much more optimistic for a 3"-5" event here!

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

At 41.5" for the season, here to your east in Toronto we've had above normal snowfall to date. When I get home I'll have to check how BUF and CLE are doing for the season. Could it be a rare and elusive DTW screwhole? :stun:

Lol Buffalo is doing great because of Lake effect snow. Cleveland not so much.  Detroit, Cleveland, pittsburgh are between 24-26", Indianapolis, Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati are between 15-20". The east coast is a snow lovers disaster. I would not consider it a screw hole , it's just that areas just to the North and West have had above average. Definitely not DTW's year, that is for sure, but I still say we have not been in a true screw hole since 1995-96. By that I mean places all around us North South East and West are getting above average snowfall while we are not.

LOT update

.UPDATE...
909 AM CST

Snowfall rates have been impressive within pockets of moderate to
briefly heavy snow this morning across the NW half of the CWA.
Various reports indicate 1 to locally 3 inches has already fallen
within an axis from Lee to Lake(IL) counties. Snow ratios under the
heaviest snow bands appear to be 20:1 or even slightly higher.

Much of this is being forced by a combo of low-level WAA/isentropic
lift with some assistance from an upper trough axis wrapping around
the upper low over NW IA. A notable back edge to the heavier precip
rates tied to the upper trough axis is currently across the southern
CWA counties and should clear the northern CWA by noon.

Given the heavier snow rates across the northern Chicago Metro, had
considered expanding the winter weather advisory to Kane/DuPage/Cook
counties. However, with a majority of the accumulation having
already occurred, higher impacts remaining confined to mainly the
morning hours, and the expectation for only light snow to continue
this afternoon and evening, felt an SPS was a better option to
message the ongoing heavier snow.

Huge bust here. Had a feeling. Dry slot screwed me. I80 north keeps getting richer this winter. Pretty frustrating. Hoping that deformation band out by DMX can somehow get here later but thinking that will be north. Models kept showing that more precip would blow up further south and wrap into my area but that never happened 

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Easily the best rates of the season right now.  Absolute pound town out there underneath this enhanced banding.  Wasn't expecting anything like this with this system, so a nice surprise. :guitar:

This was actually after heaviest flakes move thru, by the time I got bundled up to go out to shoot! Just raining pancakes.

• Like 1

Only a light dusting here so far.  Models show some redevelopment later and still looks like a rather prolonged lake snow setup (even though rates may never be that heavy), but it could remain more on the IL side for quite a while.  So all in all, may still get a couple inches in an ultimate grinder event.

I'm sitting at 4.2 inches.  These bands keep lifting north of Cedar Rapids, allowing the dry slot to poke in here.  I really hope this latest band can remain over us so we can reach six inches.

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Huge bust here. Had a feeling. Dry slot screwed me. I80 north keeps getting richer this winter. Pretty frustrating. Hoping that deformation band out by DMX can somehow get here later but thinking that will be north. Models kept showing that more precip would blow up further south and wrap into my area but that never happened 

Yeah, southeast Iowa is getting the shaft as well, just like last storm(no mix this time, just a dry slot).  Down by Keokuk there isn't even an inch on the ground.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'm up to 5.1".  As expected, this wave moving across Iowa this afternoon is dropping nice, fluffy dendrites.

Very nice!  Some nice enhancement from your area towards the nose of Iowa on radar atm.  How much do you have on the ground total now?

Just started to snow again after a break.