Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17th, 2019 Snow Event

cyclone77

^

always get a kick how jaded the board gets if we've had a decent run of winter weather by mid February. Only 30 days ago the board would have been lit up stressing over every model run for a potential moderate event like this. Here's hoping we can have an eventful run through mid March and than a quick change to a warm spring.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

^
always get a kick how jaded the board gets if we've had a decent run of winter weather by mid February. Only 30 days ago the board would have been lit up stressing over every model run for a potential moderate event like this. Here's hoping we can have an eventful run through mid March and than a quick change to a warm spring.
I'm in same boat as you. Pass on nonsense of last March-April unless we get a big dog locally.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I’ll be in Boston for this one, but hopefully we’ll have something fun to track for mid week.

Speaking of which, Boston hasn’t done great this year.

super bowl and world series. here's hoping their next 10 inch snow is 2028.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mimillman said:

I’ll be in Boston for this one, but hopefully we’ll have something fun to track for mid week.

Speaking of which, Boston hasn’t done great this year.

Boston is having an epically bad winter. Season to date they are at 4.8", average to date 29.0". And they were forecast to have a historically snowy Winter. 

Things are looking on track for a nice advisory event for many of us.  Forecast soundings from the 3km NAM show the DGZ deepening as Sunday afternoon goes on over Iowa/northern IL, so hopefully we can keep lift going as long as possible to take advantage of that.  4"+ looks like a good possibility for a good chunk of the DVN cwa.  One thing's for sure, it's nice not to have to worry about p-type, or potential ultra-sharp gradients with this one.  :guitar:

• Like 3

Too bad this wave is dampening as it goes east. Good part of Iowa up to the Mississippi River get a solid advisory to possibly warning criteria snow. Though it falls over a long duration. Nam snowfall output looks very odd. It is very blotchy and sporadic. Doesn't make sense with the simulated reflectivity it is showing. RAP and HRRR to me have a more realistic snow swath 

Too bad this wave is dampening as it goes east. Good part of Iowa up to the Mississippi River get a solid advisory to possibly warning criteria snow. Though it falls over a long duration. Nam snowfall output looks very odd. It is very blotchy and sporadic. Doesn't make sense with the simulated reflectivity it is showing. RAP and HRRR to me have a more realistic snow swath 

I believe the NAM12 is suffering from unrealistic dry air issues that cause that splotchiness to the output. Have seen this issue several times the past few winters. Best way to compare is how you did with the simulated reflectivity vs the QPF/snow output. Other models look much more realistic as you said, including RAP/HRRR.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Most models seem like D-1" here. NAM trying to spit out 2-4". Even the HRRR and RGEM aren't as amped as the NAM. 

We are in the prime DGZ with some ul support, though it's shearing out as it heads east. Not expecting much more than an inch, but there's a chance for a bit of a surprise. 

I agree. The 12z NAM setup would be interesting if it pans out with easterly flow and favourable ratios. Will be curious to see what the HRRR shows once it gets into normal 18 hour range.