Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PD Weekend 2019 Storm Threats

WxUSAF

13 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Worse, trending the wrong way. 

The LPC and heavy precip .75” isn’t shifting south. The confluence to the north is flexing and shifting south. Relax that slightly and precip comes back north. A north trend is never a gaurentee but the system isn’t getting weaker it’s just that precip is getting sheared off. Any slight relaxation or strengthening of the confluence will have big implications for how far north precip makes it or doesn’t. At least the core of heavy precip isn’t really moving south and the lpc isn’t getting kicked down to georgia. 

My goal for today is that things don’t get worse than what the 6z Euro just showed. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

This is a December redo. Models picking up on stronger confluence as we approach the event. Uggg.

I was thinking the same thing. 

The wave guide over North America sucks for this threat, and the confluence is never lined up for us, even worse for areas to our NE. 

Amazing too, no storms to the benchmark yet , and it is mid Feb. 

Disturbances fly in and exit right.  Maybe that changes at the very end of Feb,  if we get the trough to set up in the East,  as alluded to by many here. 

As for the short term threat, and even longer term ,say what you want about the EPS snowfall trends but it seems it is going to possibly be correct regarding less snow here than others thought , from just three days ago. Needed to have consistency and we lost it about three days ago. 

Lastly these threat this winter have been either coastal hugger, or surpression or cutter. And the Midwest in the target zone and the SE ridge more Nina like. We need a shake up on a grand scale. 

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Must.

Suppress.

Inner.

DEB

Ok, I'm back. :)

I'm doing pretty well suppressing mine.  We all gotta hang in there.  Plenty of time to move back north.  It's disheartening though to see we're having the same problems...suppressing flow from our north.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

Suppression Depression for Saturday evening. Monday and now Thursday is worryingly north for me. 

Looks like we're entering an active period. Hoping for one nice one to end February

wow.  Toms River....my home town.  TRHS East...Go Raiders!  So 2 places I have lived where the snow climo is a bag of flaming turds.   

Just now, stormtracker said:

I'm doing pretty well suppressing mine.  We all gotta hang in there.  Plenty of time to move back north.  It's disheartening though to see we're having the same problems...suppressing flow from our north.  

Yeah and then our other problem likely returns just after that. Ridge builds in the Caribbean then expands NW, and probably nothing in the NS to compress the flow to offset it.

We really do fail every which way around here lol.

While DC/NVA are certainly not out of it, we need the southern trend to halt today and keep us close.  If RIC can stay the bullseye today with EZF on the northern edge of 3”, I’d feel good for getting that last 24 hour push north to get NVA/DC into the 3”+ totals.  

I’m hosting a bunch of family this weekend in Deep Creek including six nieces and nephews who really want to see snow...even just 2-3” there would be great for them.  

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah and then our other problem likely returns just after that. Ridge builds in the Caribbean then expands NW, and probably nothing in the NS to compress the flow to offset it.

We really do fail every which way around here lol.

It’s actually kind of funny...a little bit of the ridge would help us this weekend but we can’t get it when it could help.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

While DC/NVA are certainly not out of it, we need the southern trend to halt today and keep us close.  If RIC can stay the bullseye today with EZF on the northern edge of 3”, I’d feel good for getting that last 24 hour push north to get NVA/DC into the 3”+ totals.  

I’m hosting a bunch of family this weekend in Deep Creek including six nieces and nephews who really want to see snow...even just 2-3” there would be great for them.  

I don't want another 12/9.... 

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You don’t have any snow on the ground up there?

41 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

The LPC and heavy precip .75” isn’t shifting south. The confluence to the north is flexing and shifting south. Relax that slightly and precip comes back north. A north trend is never a gaurentee but the system isn’t getting weaker it’s just that precip is getting sheared off. Any slight relaxation or strengthening of the confluence will have big implications for how far north precip makes it or doesn’t. At least the core of heavy precip isn’t really moving south and the lpc isn’t getting kicked down to georgia. 

My goal for today is that things don’t get worse than what the 6z Euro just showed. 

To illustrate here is the last couple runs from the GEFS...yeah i know don't use ensembles blah blah...but I think it gives a better picture of where we are at right now. The core of the heavy precip really hasn't moved that much over the last couple runs. Rather, the light stuff to the north has gotten shaved off. Notice on the 6z run the max actually increased to our south. This system has plenty of juice. Get the confluence to relax a touch and we'll be in business. 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_eus_fh66_trend.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

To illustrate here is the last couple runs from the GEFS...yeah i know don't use ensembles blah blah...but I think it gives a better picture of where we are at right now. The core of the heavy precip really hasn't moved that much over the last couple runs. Rather, the light stuff to the north has gotten shaved off. Notice on the 6z run the max actually increased to our south. This system has plenty of juice. Get the confluence to relax a touch and we'll be in business. 

This was really good post.  Seeing this way makes more sense vice just assuming the system is just weak sauce.  the coffee is just a strong in the cup but the steam is being blown off the top above the rim...we are the top above the rim

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

I don't think there has been a storm this winter that has trended south just prior to precip falling!

If we are starting to draw a connection between the 12/09 storm earlier this year, then NOVA stands in a great spot right now. Most people don’t appreciate the final north jump that storm made because it wasn’t enough for most, but it the jackpot zone jumped 100+ miles from where the GFS had it 48 hours out. The EURO struggled too. Snow got to Mt. Vernon when it was modeled to struggle to get all that much past CHO.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

If we are starting to draw a connection between the 12/09 storm earlier this year, then NOVA stands in a great spot right now. Most people don’t appreciate the final north jump that storm made because it wasn’t enough for most, but it the jackpot zone jumped 100+ miles from where the GFS had it 48 hours out. The EURO struggled too. Snow got to Mt. Vernon when it was modeled to struggle to get all that much past CHO.

Exactly!

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Probably nothing but the NAM will actually be North some.  Confluence is a little quicker lifting as after the deeper punch from the north.

Agreed. The confluence was stronger early in the run but moved north sooner. And maybe that is what ends up saving us in the end. 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Again ..we're are seeing a stronger vort as Showme has been  pointing out .its all about the confluence 

Yeah.  A trend this year has certainly been to amp as we close causing a north shift following a de-amp in the mid range. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic