Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PD Weekend 2019 Storm Threats

WxUSAF

Just now, Hurricanegiants said:

Wow. LWX anything but bullish in their 3:00 update. A whole lot of nothing. Even the Mon/Tues was a mix bag.  Favoring warner side of temps mostly as well. Ugh. Hopefully later models will turn that around. 

Most days, it depends on the forecaster.   Woody! used to be the worst.  

2 minutes ago, Hurricanegiants said:

Wow. LWX anything but bullish in their 3:00 update. A whole lot of nothing. Even the Mon/Tues was a mix bag.  Favoring warner side of temps mostly as well. Ugh. Hopefully later models will turn that around. 

They upped the wintry precip chances to likely on Saturday so their confidence increased a bit after the 12z runs.  Temps look marginal to begin the event so I'm sure they'll be mixing somewhere, so seems like a reasonable forecast at the moment.  

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Even if there isn't a move north near game time, I'd be psyched to see accumulating snow falling during the day.  There are so many close and good breweries with big windows in any direction nowadays, that I'm not worried. :drunk:

With it being 60 the day before, I do wonder about accumulations, though...But we need a shift north--right now we've only got about 11 inches on the year. And with next week's system not seeming to get any colder atm...we may need every inch we can get!!

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

With it being 60 the day before, I do wonder about accumulations, though...

Antecedent warmth can be easily overcome with proper rates.  Mid Feb sun angle combined with barely freezing temps will be harder to overcome.  Better start early and better thump.  I know I am screwed, as usual, with light rates that will lead to wet streets and sloppy trashcan lids.

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Antecedent warmth can be easily overcome with proper rates.  Mid Feb sun angle combined with barely freezing temps will be harder to overcome.  Better start early and better thump.  I know I am screwed, as usual, with light rates that will lead to wet streets and sloppy trashcan lids.

We're on the board with our first one!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

So you are somehow going to get good rates without thick cloud cover to mute radiation?  

You’re specific problem is downaloping. That will make rates lighter and cloud over thinner which makes you more susceptible to radiation issues. I’ve lived in a valley shadow effect area before in PA I know what it’s like. But that’s a local problem. 

5 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Icon looks... better? Precip reaches further north a bit

May have to suffer through rain but my experience is it will quickly go to snow.  Unless it’s way north.  Accumulation is another story.  Not sure about that.  Cut in half whatever is advertised.  

Just now, jayyy said:

And good grief, stop with the sun angle nonsense. How many times does it need to be 50-60 one day, snow the next and stick for people to stop with this nonsense? It’s the heart of winter for us. If temps are 30-31 and it’s snowing, it’ll stick. 

Maybe. If it's 30-31 and not snowing that hard during the day and it's 60 the day before, it's going to have a tough time sticking any time of the year, much less this time.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So you are somehow going to get good rates without thick cloud cover to mute radiation?  

You’re specific problem is downaloping. That will make rates lighter and cloud over thinner which makes you more susceptible to radiation issues. I’ve lived in a valley shadow effect area before in PA I know what it’s like. But that’s a local problem. 

True.  No, I likely won't get good rates; that's usually my problem.  Not sure I get the point you were making.

21 minutes ago, jayyy said:

And good grief, stop with the sun angle nonsense. How many times does it need to be 50-60 one day, snow the next and stick for people to stop with this nonsense? It’s the heart of winter for us. If temps are 30-31 and it’s snowing, it’ll stick. 

completely disagree especially near the cities.  not sure if it's really a sun angle thing, but we're generally a rate dependent town.  we're not minnesota.  our temps are fringe at best and we usually need rates for it to become a legitimate snowstorm.  light snow just doesn't do much here when surface temps are borderline, like Saturday is looking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Depends on rates.  Light snow is not sticking this time of year during the day at 31F.  Good rates will overcome.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hurricanegiants said:

Mount Holly not impressed either at this point for event 1. Going warm. Even if moisture makes it into their southern PA and SNJ zones they are thinking snow to rain with maybe an inch.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

completely disagree especially near the cities.  not sure if it's really a sun angle thing, but we're generally a rate dependent town.  we're not minnesota.  our temps are fringe at best and we usually need rates for it to become a legitimate snowstorm.  light snow just doesn't do much here when surface temps are borderline, like Saturday is looking.

Bingo.  I've seen light snow melt on contact for hours in late December at 30F. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic