Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PD Weekend 2019 Storm Threats

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

I mean we are looking at like a 100 mile swath (north-south) of snow. Any deviation north or south will put us outside of the main snow when using the 00z euro as a basis of control.

Somebody on our forum will be on the outside looking in...hope it's not us but as far as I can tell I dont have control over it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LP08 said:

A nudge south and a little drier but here is the zoom look.  I think most of the Northern half of the forum would like this look 90 hrs out.

Euro Precip 6z.png

Thanks. This is going to be a serious IMBY event if it ends up being a fairly thin stripe of snow on the north edge. Too bad it can't be a more region-wide one, but it's looking like there will be plenty of folks outside looking in, whether high and (relatively) dry or cold and wet.

That said, I like the wiggle room for in my 'hood here in central Fairfax County.

• Like 2

Snippet from Mount Holly AFD this morning on the first system this weekend. Good stuff as usual-

System 1 (Saturday)... A potent trough in eastern Canada and a weak perturbation to its southwest in the central plains is the initial setup for the extended forecast (starting 00z Saturday). The trough is expected to pivot northeastward as a kicker vort max digs southward through Ontario. Meanwhile, the perturbation will reach the Ohio/Tennessee Valleys by 12z Saturday, but appears not to be influenced tremendously by the eastern Canada trough. As such, the central U.S. perturbation may tend to shift ever-so-slightly southward as the digging Ontario vort max impinges on it. As the perturbation moves into the Mid-Atlantic during the day, it will tend to get sheared in the confluent flow downstream. However, as the kicker vort max to the north approaches, the perturbation may re-intensify in the lee of the Appalachians, particularly given favorable jet dynamics (left- exit region of a zonally-oriented 250-mb jet streak). The end result appears to be snow to the north of the associated surface low. Of course, it`s all about location (location, location), and the operational model runs did appear to shift somewhat southward overall.

QPF is nothing to sneeze at with this system, with up to a half inch possible in a six-hour period. This would be a healthy pumping of snow where it occurs, though also fairly short-lived. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, LP08 said:

A nudge south and a little drier but here is the zoom look.  I think most of the Northern half of the forum would like this look 90 hrs out.

Euro Precip 6z.png

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

.50" line moved south a touch but my biggest takeaway is the overall system looks fairly juicy still if not more so then 0z back thru Tenn,  WV, Kentucky. 

I'm not opposed to a 50 Mile bumpy bump north fmby :whistle:

I don’t know man, I would love that and I think as LP said in my first quote, I like where we are. Looks juicy back there and the euro has lead the way in that regard. We’re now almost 3 days out, this one isn’t in NC like December. Call me optimistic.

• Like 1

I like where we sit right now for Saturday given all the obvious concerns about the narrow band. It does look like it's a decent thump of snow, so it's half inch or more per hour rates, which should hopefully be enough to stick to roads even during the day with temps at freezing and road temps warmed from the high temps on Friday.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic