Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
February 12th-14 Redeveloper Nowcast/Obs

Baroclinic Zone

14 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Yes, it has to do with the beam height. You're seeing "sleet line" at a certain distance away from the radar because it's where snow aloft is melting into rain and refreezing back as sleet few thousand feet above the ground. Think of it as a mix zone with snow, rain, and sleet. The closer you are to radar, the lower into the atmosphere the radar beam is hitting so it's seeing mostly same stuff again (which is sleet in this case).

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the explanation. 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn, only around 4" down there?  I had the SVT ski resorts as more.  Maybe you can get 3" of sleet now.

The NAM didn't have us getting much more than 4-5". Maybe we get a little upslope action on the backside tomorrow AM? 4.5" or so now, heavy sleet. 

The wind has definitely been a under appreciated/forecast part of this storm. Classic freight train sound coming from just above the surface. Perpendicular winds to the mountains + high inversion = wind.

Just now, wxmanmitch said:

The NAM didn't have us getting much more than 4-5". Maybe we get a little upslope action on the backside tomorrow AM? 4.5" or so now, heavy sleet. 

The wind has definitely been a under appreciated/forecast part of this storm. Classic freight train sound coming from just above the surface. Perpendicular winds to the mountains + high inversion = wind.

True, unfortunately the NAM usually does mid-level warmth well.

• Like 1

Apparently Logan has reported 1.9" officially. Close enough to what I have in terms of accuracy but of course they just couldn't report at least 2".

If this is the last accumulating snow for BOS this year (I don't think it will), when was the last time BOS did not report at least a 2" snowstorm for the season? Ever?

Wonder if KBOS season cracks 5" tonight 

Yep pings arrived in Fenway ~ 6:20pm.

NAM was spot on. HRRR was always 30min-1hr behind in sleet advance. Euro was my reason for the higher end of 3-6" range in Boston area, but that too was too cold.

RGEM... has been off this season, I didn't give any weight.

And most importantly: 18z GFS still has snow/sleet line at MA/CT border at 0z lol

1 minute ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Apparently Logan has reported 1.9" officially. Close enough to what I have in terms of accuracy but of course they just couldn't report at least 2".

If this is the last accumulating snow for BOS this year (I don't think it will), when was the last time BOS did not report at least a 2" snowstorm for the season? Ever?

We know they had it twice. But I would have to look back later. I doubt that’s ever happened.