Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 12th-14 Redeveloper Nowcast/Obs

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Locked in thru weekend . 30’s next 2 days. Just get thru Friday

Friday will be the day it needs to survive. If it stays kind of in the 40s with a lot of cloud cover then it will prob survive to weekend....but if we tickle 50 with sun, it's gonna vaporize pretty fast in the sun exposed spots anyway. But meh, I don't need to keep this pack...it's not very robust. Hopefully we get two events early next week and then maybe I can think about trying to get a deep pack for a couple weeks.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Had as much as about 4.5" last night with the sleet but then the ZR and cold rain matted it back down to about 2.5-3" this morning. Prob almost an inch of water in it. Lol. 

About the same here.  I cleared the lighter stuff yesterday off my driveway and had about 4".  After that there was about 1" of sleet and then freezing rain leaving me with about 3" this morning.  That stuff should have some staying power!

30 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I' m not sure I want to chop up 800sqft of ice:huh:

Pardon the pun but break it up.  It's not all going to come up at once so put down some ice melt today and chop a little this afternoon around the edges or loose parts and put down some more ice melt.  Chop some more tomorrow morning and expand on what you loosened today.  Put down some more ice melt and repeat on Thursday.  It should come up pretty easily.

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

These ratios were pretty bad.  Man snow, all base no treble.  Heavy as shit to shovel despite being cold.

Got the snowpack back over 20" and don't have to worry about any settling, that's for sure.  No air in this stuff.

PF

How did the slopes recover now that dense snow has covered the ice? I have a window to come up and ride tomorrow night through Sunday. Not liking the prospects of more rain. 

22 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

About the same here.  I cleared the lighter stuff yesterday off my driveway and had about 4".  After that there was about 1" of sleet and then freezing rain leaving me with about 3" this morning.  That stuff should have some staying power!

We had 4.4” and with the sleet and zr and temps staying in 20’s.. it locked it in pretty well. Friday’s the only day that might hurt it

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I left this morning with probably 3 otg.  A lot of water in it so we’ll see how long it takes to melt.

Jerry,  this snow will have a lot more staying power with all that sleet mixed in.  I will be curious to see how long it takes to melt in Metro Boston.   We are almost 2 months past solstice so the sun has more power now.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s gonna go quick. 

Yeah, my 3+ inches of snow and sleet was already down to about 2 inches of snow and slush this morning after overnight rain with temps in mid to upper 30s.  Didn't even bother to clear the driveway, and could already see the pavement thru the slush in some spots.  Gonna go fast south of Boston!

• Sad 1

Swept 1.4" (0.13" LE) off the board at 9 last evening, and at 7 this morning depth was 8.4-8.8", the average of 8.6" (1.11" LE) bringing the cocorahs report to exactly 10" of 8:1 snow.  Only other Maine reports of 10"+ as of 15 minutes ago was Temple, 9 miles to my west.  Franklin County ftw (until Aroostook gets done - they may get some 18+ reports there, and 50" pack.)   GYX said that dendrite growth wouldn't be all that great.  When I finished clearing the driveway at 8:30, maybe another 0.3" on the board, with very light snow/fzdz.  Haven't had any high ratio snow yet this season, but the total is well AN and there was 34" at the stake this morning.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jerry,  this snow will have a lot more staying power with all that sleet mixed in.  I will be curious to see how long it takes to melt in Metro Boston.   We are almost 2 months past solstice so the sun has more power now.

I think it all comes down to the water equivalent. I'd take the snow over the sleet anyday. That 1" of sleet would've been 3" of snow with the same staying power.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Swept 1.4" (0.13" LE) off the board at 9 last evening, and at 7 this morning depth was 8.4-8.8", the average of 8.6" (1.11" LE) bringing the cocorahs report to exactly 10" of 8:1 snow.  Only other Maine reports of 10"+ as of 15 minutes ago was Temple, 9 miles to my west.  Franklin County ftw (until Aroostook gets done - they may get some 18+ reports there, and 50" pack.)   GYX said that dendrite growth wouldn't be all that great.  When I finished clearing the driveway at 8:30, maybe another 0.3" on the board, with very light snow/fzdz.  Haven't had any high ratio snow yet this season, but the total is well AN and there was 34" at the stake this morning.

We've  been into the FDZ over the last couple hours but i see those echoes that were over VT are now making there way here, So we will see if we can flip back to snow and add another 1" or so in the next couple hours or so.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

We've  been into the FDZ over the last couple hours but i see those echoes that were over VT are now making there way here, So we will see if we can flip back to snow and add another 1" or so in the next couple hours or so.

If those areas could bring another 2", I'd have the season's 1st overperformer - P&C forecast was 8-12.  Highly doubt that happens.

Caribou raking it in

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Melting an inch of W.E. is gonna take some effort. I'd be surprised if it all goes by the end of Friday. It might be one of those typical February deals though where the sunny side of a street gets whacked pretty good but the shady side looks untouched.

Depends on where you are too...places that got to 38F last night for hours already got hit pretty good even if there's pack left. They probably lost a chunk of water in it. Those that hovered near or below freezing won't go nearly as easily.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

What's their all time record? '07-'08 right? I think they almost made 200 that year but failed.

Correct.  They had 198 that season.  Oddly, their pack never got deeper than 36", far from their top mark of 62" in 1977, a good winter (146") but no comparison with 07-08.  That record winter had some thaws, and apparently some wind - the 14.5" dump at the equinox all came with temps mid 20s but added only 4" to the pre-storm depth.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Correct.  They had 198 that season.  Oddly, their pack never got deeper than 36", far from their top mark of 62" in 1977, a good winter (146") but no comparison with 07-08.  That record winter had some thaws, and apparently some wind - the 14.5" dump at the equinox all came with temps mid 20s but added only 4" to the pre-storm depth.

And Eastport kicked there butt a few yrs back with 200"+...............lol

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Melting an inch of W.E. is gonna take some effort. I'd be surprised if it all goes by the end of Friday. It might be one of those typical February deals though where the sunny side of a street gets whacked pretty good but the shady side looks untouched.

Depends on where you are too...places that got to 38F last night for hours already got hit pretty good even if there's pack left. They probably lost a chunk of water in it. Those that hovered near or below freezing won't go nearly as easily.

Scooters been trying to melt all mine since 7:00 last night in texts when he warmed above freezing