Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 12th-14 Redeveloper Nowcast/Obs

Baroclinic Zone

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I see 7.4”/1.21” at Auburn, ME. It’s hard to believe there wasn’t any sleet in that. Lots of 7-9” totals with well over an inch of liquid. 

Had to be some sleet grains in the last couple inches or so, Certainly looked like it with a closer inspection, Just did a core, 8.8"/1.26'", That's just a shade under 7:1, Growth was ok not great but small flakes, It was pretty dense though.

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We definitely had garbage ratios for a while. Sometime between 8 and 11 it picked up, but I passed out after my last mid.

There was so much water in the pack that the shadows had the blue glacial color.

Ratios were not great, I was up around 3 am and it had that sand look to the flakes as they were quite small.

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

One thing that sucks this year is the amount of ice in our driveway. worst it's ever been. It's literally a sheet of ice ~0.75" thick. Snowblower chains are no match. Friday RN will only add another layer. Sun doesn't hit the area much in winter.

capture1.jpg

You do know the make potassium chloride that is safe to use on ice, Folks have this misconception that it just melts it all away, Its made to work down to the surface so you can chop it up and out, I sold ice melt products for over 20 yrs...........lol

39 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sebago 8.0”/1.16”...if that is all snow that’s about as bad as it gets for ratios from pure cold snow.

These ratios were pretty bad.  Man snow, all base no treble.  Heavy as shit to shovel despite being cold.

Got the snowpack back over 20" and don't have to worry about any settling, that's for sure.  No air in this stuff.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You do know the make potassium chloride that is safe to use on ice, Folks have this misconception that it just melts it all away, Its made to work down to the surface  so you can chop it up and out, I sold ice melt products for over 20 yrs...........lol

My wife insists we buy the "pet friendly" stuff for our cats. I'm like "f that". Seriously, will it melt nearly an inch cause I assumed I wouldn't even bother if it was going to require several bags. Do you recommend a specific big box brand?

Just now, Lava Rock said:

My wife insists we buy the "pet friendly" stuff for our cats. I'm like "f that". Seriously, will it melt nearly an inch cause I assumed I wouldn't even bother if it was going to require several bags. Do you recommend a specific big box brand?

If you don't care about it being to friendly, If you have a Paris Farmers Union around, Go in there and buy a coupe 50lb bags of Calcium, Get the "Flakes" not the pellets as you get better coverage using less, These next couple days in the 30's will help.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had 7.4" of extremely dense snow at 7am.

No sleet that I could see but ratios have to be 7-8:1.

Its dumping huge flakes now, deform type snow so we may add a couple more inches here quickly.   

Gotta love the backside deform snows though.  Little comma head moving through.

IMG_2237.GIF.1eb7ac5b2118ba44abc4c067a29a582b.GIF

Plus the Ull is coming . Gonna be a great day on the hill before the 60 mph winds show up

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If you don't care about it being to friendly, If you have a Paris Farmers Union around, Go in there and buy a coupe 50lb bags of Calcium, Get the "Flakes" not the pellets as you get better coverage using less, These next couple days in the 30's will help.

I agree.  Just to add, you'll need a good amount and let it work the next couple of days.  Each day go out and chop around the edges and another layer on the remaining ice.  I made the mistake once of letting too much ice build up on my driveway and now I put down a preventive layer if we are expecting ice or to get rid of any remaining snow.  It makes clean up that much easier because the bottom layer is all melted it makes it harder for the ice to "stick".

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I agree.  Just to add, you'll need a good amount and let it work the next couple of days.  Each day go out and chop around the edges and another layer on the remaining ice.  I made the mistake once of letting too much ice build up on my driveway and now I put down a preventive layer if we are expecting ice or to get rid of any remaining snow.  It makes clean up that much easier because the bottom layer is all melted it makes it harder for the ice to "stick".

That's correct, Don't be afraid to apply it often, It will make the ice become porous and easier to chop out.

27 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I use kitty litter. Stuff works great for me.

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had 7.4" of extremely dense snow at 7am.

No sleet that I could see but ratios have to be 7-8:1.

Its dumping huge flakes now, deform type snow so we may add a couple more inches here quickly.   

Gotta love the backside deform snows though.  Little comma head moving through.

IMG_2237.GIF.1eb7ac5b2118ba44abc4c067a29a582b.GIF

Nice striations. Looks like CSI stuff.