Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 12th-14 Redeveloper Nowcast/Obs

Baroclinic Zone

18 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Sleet mixing in here.  50/50 sleet snow  14.6  Only 3" ish has accumulated

I apologize for my 3" ish post.  I have some other stuff to deal with tonight so eyeballed railings.  Snow has been so fine the railings are not good representation.  Went out and did a few measurements on flat open surfaces.  its almost 5.5" 

Back to sleet 

ddd.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

I apologize for my 3" ish post.  I have some other stuff to deal with tonight so eyeballed railings.  Snow has been so fine the railings are not good representation.  Went out and did a few measurements on flat open surfaces.  its almost 5.5" 

Back to sleet 

ddd.jpg

Nice. Give me my golden bust award back.

Any ideas on why the ptype was zr with this DTW sounding? Peak warm nose of 1.2C with 30mb of depth and a cold boundary layer underneath. DTW reported 0.41" of ice accretion via ASOS. Toronto and Hamilton also had a lot of freezing rain today even when the soundings look predominantly suggestive of IP with a relatively high (750-800mb) warm nose with lots of cold air underneath. 

2019021212.72632.skewt.parc.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Was the peak warm nose warmer and thicker than that 00z sounding? Was the most maximized near the warm tongue? Those are two questions I would ask.

That was 12z, I'm not sure about stuff before and after for DTW. The model soundings for YYZ  from 12z for 18-21z this afternoon/evening generally had fairly small and high warm nose near 1 C, but they ended up with 4 hours of zr. Is there some sort of cloud microphysics/lift arguments for zr with less pronounced warm noses? idk. 

rdps_2019021206_015_43.65--79.38.png

nam_2019021206_015_43.65--79.32.png

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Heard that things are a mess in Franklin County...

At least all 4 of our  school districts have delayed openings

Roads, by all accounts were a disaster since 3pn.   My neighbors just drove back from the airport in Hartford, they said I 91 was still completely snow-covered and they finally got off in Easthampton and took Route 5/10 back to Greenfield.

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Back to sleet 

ddd.jpg

Ha, big difference there, almost double what you estimated. 

9 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah, that makes some sense. I was thinking something similar. Thanks. 

I'd agree with that...DGZ looks not totally saturated....if it was, then it would totally be a sleet sounding, but all the precip generation looks like it may have been below that level.