Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Parts 1 and 2 Obs - 2/10-2/12 Winter Storm

KamuSnow

2 minutes ago, BBasile said:

It's currently cloudy with some lingering flurries, temp is below freezing, and yet the snow is still melting.  The sun is kickin'!

Yes, in fact at this time of year, the UV index is a 4 or 5 with clear skies. or, the equivalent of mid-October

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Okay although it may have started melting by the time you head back.  It's already 32 here in NW Philly and melting!

Yeah I can see very small traces in Woodbridge Township Nj just south of Linden. So it checks out that there was light trace amounts in southern Newark, NJ this am.

Just now, CarLover014 said:

What site is that?

It's not a site.  It is the GRLevel 3 program that I have installed on my computer and it pulls nexrad and other data for display - http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3_2/

I am considering getting another (smaller - 2-in-1) i7 laptop so I can purchase their GR2Analyst program - http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst_2/

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It's not a site.  It is the GRLevel 3 program that I have installed on my computer and it pulls nexrad and other data for display - http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3_2/

I am considering getting another (smaller - 2-in-1) i7 laptop so I can purchase their GR2Analyst program - http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst_2/

Oh, okay. I've heard of that program. Is it worth the money?

22 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

It's alot better than Radarscope (IMO).  You can customize the maps and it polls and posts the LSRs.  I think quite a few use the WU nexrad maps which are good but I like seeing the LSRs that pop up on the display as systems move (you can hover your mouse over them to see what was reported) so I can get a verification of what is actually happening on the ground in a particular area vs what the radar is showing.

They offer a free limited trial (that I think has all the functionality) so you can try it out before you buy.  I did that and felt it was worth it for me and how I monitor the weather!

ETA - here is an example from a year ago - 2/17/18 - where you can see the LSRs (if you click on one you get more detail regarding where and exactly how much and/or what else is being reported and by whom - "social media" or "ASOS" or "EMS" person, "COOP" etc) -

radar4-02172018.png

9 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Why a new machine for Analyst?  

6 minutes ago, CarLover014 said:

For me it was.  It's almost necessary for weather geeks. lol  

Here's an example of GR2Analyst with the volumetric mode.  It's nice to have for detecting hail cores and updrafts in thunderstorms, plus you can use level 2 data.  I think it's like 3 times the price of GRLevel3, though.  

Untitled.png

Just now, BBasile said:

Why a new machine for Analyst?  

Because I am live-streaming 6 IP security cameras on this machine at the same time too. :lmao:

1 minute ago, BBasile said:

For me it was.  It's almost necessary for weather geeks. lol  

Here's an example of GR2Analyst with the volumetric mode.  It's nice to have for detecting hail cores and updrafts in thunderstorms, plus you can use level 2 data.  I think it's like 3 times the price of GRLevel3, though.  

Untitled.png

I wanted to put that on something more "mobile" that I can use almost like a big "tablet". I wanted it to also be a touch screen so I can can pinch and zoom in/out (my current machine is not a touch screen).  And yup it is up there in price but then I don't subscribe to pay model suites or to met blogs so the cost isn't that much different for my hobby purposes!

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Because I am live-streaming 6 IP security cameras on this machine at the same time too. :lmao:

I wanted to put that on something more "mobile" that I can use almost like a big "tablet". I wanted it to also be a touch screen so I can can pinch and zoom in/out (my current machine is not a touch screen).  And yup it is up there in price but then I don't subscribe to pay model suites or to met blogs so the cost isn't that much different for my hobby purposes!

Ah, gotcha.  I'm on a gaming rig that I don't game with, so no troubles there.  lol.  I like the idea of having the program mobile, though.  Like a better Radarscope.  

Here's me during weather, all geeked out.  Haha

20190211_113621_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha.  I'm on a gaming rig that I don't game with, so no troubles there.  lol.  I like the idea of having the program mobile, though.  Like a better Radarscope.  

20190211_113621_HDR.jpg

Almost 20 years ago I had bought some cases and mobos (and a dremel too) and was building machines - including caseless ones, for a SETI farm (and overclocking the CPUs to boot) to sortof do what you have above but had so many other hobbies going on at that time that I never got around to actually getting it done. :axe: :lmao:   As it is, I'm still splitting this hobby with a couple others and even with me being retired, it's still crazy!!

At least with a 2-in-1 I could plop it in front of me and keep the laptop on its current stand to the side.  I have a desktop across the room with a 24" monitor and that machine is long overdue for an OS upgrade (I run linux on it) but.... other stuff intervened (like the Android Pie upgrade on my Note 9 phone a couple days ago that left me scrambling to re-configure the stuff that One UI changed on my home screen). :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Almost 20 years ago I had bought some cases and mobos (and a dremel too) and was building machines - including caseless ones, for a SETI farm (and overclocking the CPUs to boot) to sortof do what you have above but had so many other hobbies going on at that time that I never got around to actually getting it done. :axe: :lmao:   As it is, I'm still splitting this hobby with a couple others and even with me being retired, it's still crazy!!

At least with a 2-in-1 I could plop it in front of me and keep the laptop on its current stand to the side.  I have a desktop across the room with a 24" monitor and that machine is long overdue for an OS upgrade (I run linux on it) but.... other stuff intervened (like the Android Pie upgrade on my Note 9 phone a couple days ago that left me scrambling to re-configure the stuff that One UI changed on my home screen). :lol:

lol.  Well, if you want a couple hobbies that keep you busy and interested, computers and weather are it.  They never stop changing!

How sketchy would a drive from Northeast PA (Elk Mountain) back to my hometown in SEPA be after 4 or 5 PM tomorrow?  Most likely not working tomorrow and might want to get some riding in before we get washed away.  Looks like the changeover to mainly sleet up there won't be until around 4pm.  I feel like with the relatively warm temps, salt should keep the roads free of ice.

Not too worried if I cant make it up though, I had a lot of awesome powder trips in VT this year already, but it would be nice.  I have an AWD Subaru with all seasons, it handled -20F (-65 windchill at Magic Mtn 1/21) and nearly 40 inches of snow (Smugglers notch 1/8-11) so far this year, so what's a little ice? 

Also, I ended up with 1.5 inches.

Just now, BBasile said:

lol.  Well, if you want a couple hobbies that keep you busy and interested, computers and weather are it.  They never stop changing!

Back then I also had 3 fish tanks - 2 of them saltwater marine tanks, where one of those was a reef tank (meaning continual measuring of the temperature and salinity and adjusting the lighting because the metal halide lamps back then were not as compact as they are today)... plus I was creating a home theater and buying Adcom amps and one of the earliest Dolby Digital 5.1 decoders, Parasound speakers and a laserdisc player (before the DVD players came out), etc.  This is not counting my gardening. :drunk:  I over-program myself sometimes. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

How sketchy would a drive from Northeast PA (Elk Mountain) back to my hometown in SEPA be after 4 or 5 PM tomorrow?  Most likely not working tomorrow and might want to get some riding in before we get washed away.  Looks like the changeover to mainly sleet up there won't be until around 4pm.  I feel like with the relatively warm temps, salt should keep the roads free of ice.

Not too worried if I cant make it up though, I had a lot of awesome powder trips in VT this year already, but it would be nice.  I have an AWD Subaru with all seasons, it handled -20F (-65 windchill at Magic Mtn 1/21) and nearly 40 inches of snow (Smugglers notch 1/8-11) so far this year, so what's a little ice? 

I don't think AWD will make any difference when driving on ice.  You'll still slide.  I suppose you would be okay if you are on main roads/highways but if you are driving around anyplace with an elevation on secondaries or back roads, those might be dicey (water on top of ice).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

will mean NOTHING with heavy sleet.  It wont be pretty

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

so what's a little ice? 

A lot worse than snow.  lol

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Back then I also had 3 fish tanks - 2 of them saltwater marine tanks, where one of those was a reef tank (meaning continual measuring of the temperature and salinity and adjusting the lighting because the metal halide lamps back then were not as compact as they are today)... plus I was creating a home theater and buying Adcom amps and one of the earliest Dolby Digital 5.1 decoders, Parasound speakers and a laserdisc player (before the DVD players came out), etc.  This is not counting my gardening. :drunk:  I over-program myself sometimes. :D

A buddy of mine is into fish tanks.  Way too much maintenance for me.  I would definitely kill all the fish.  lol

So, you also like all the expensive hobbies, I see.  haha

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I don't think AWD will make any difference when driving on ice.  You'll still slide.  I suppose you would be okay if you are on main roads/highways but if you are driving around anyplace with an elevation on secondaries or back roads, those might be dicey (water on top of ice).

Just now, hazwoper said:

will mean NOTHING with heavy sleet.  It wont be pretty

Yeah, I'll likely hold off then.  Not worth risking it for 7" of wet snow and having to drive back in an ice storm.  

A lot worse than snow.  lol

A buddy of mine is into fish tanks.  Way too much maintenance for me.  I would definitely kill all the fish.  lol

So, you also like all the expensive hobbies, I see.  haha

The fish were fun though - actually the non-fish like my anenomes and cleaner shrimp and brittle star and sea urchin were even cooler.  Yup. In hock up the whazoo. Finally paid all of that off about 8 years ago. :lmao: 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BBasile said:

20190211_113621_HDR.jpg

Is that an RGB mousemat? Looks really cool! Just this weekend I upgraded my case that I originally built for a fully enclosed (non-windowed) ~2007 spec machine to something way more modern with a tempered glass window. So of course I had to RGB the heck out of it. :) One of these days I'll have to clean up my battlestation area for to take some glamour shots.

Sorry for the off topic comment, everyone. But hey, was expecting it to be way more weathery today (even WCU canceled all classes???) but it looks like everything is happening just to our south, for this first punch at least. Oh well, at least I'll be able to smoke some meats in the driveway later this afternoon.

• KamuSnow changed the title to Parts 1 and 2 Obs - 2/10-2/12 Winter Storm