Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 11 -12 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

36 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Sleet is much easier to deal with at 30 degrees then it is at 17 degrees...….

This makes no sense - why would it matter?  Below 32F is below 32F and melting won't occur strictly based on temp at either temp.  Now, if you're throwing in the factors of treated roads and indirect sunlight during the day, yes, of course sleet will melt faster at 30F than 17F - but still much more slowly than snow at any temp, which was the original point.  

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

This makes no sense - why would it matter?  Below 32F is below 32F and melting won't occur strictly based on temp at either temp.  Now, if you're throwing in the factors of treated roads and indirect sunlight during the day, yes, of course sleet will melt faster at 30F than 17F - but still much more slowly than snow at any temp, which was the original point.  

That's why I said "deal with" = treated roads and indirect sunlight factor !

Just now, kat5hurricane said:

Not enthused by this at all. A couple of inches of snow with a period of sleet washed away by rain, seen storms like this many times in the NYC area and it rarely amounts to much. Yawn

That possibility is still very much on the table IMO.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doorman said:

GFS Kuchera

GFSMA_prec_kuchsnow_072.png.d83f68057b79ea1112132e48f41d5a95.png

with a gully washer in the mix @ 10pm Tues Night

GFSMA_prec_ptype_051.png.53e3b65348da504fd5d0041cec9d0bdd.png

What else is new, yea I think I'm gonna have to drop my snow total prediction to 1-3 for the city. The mid level warming trend on the models is just too strong to ignore. Still hope sleet hangs on for a while before the flip to rain, it's very unpredictable for the metro area.

We have an official dusting with light snow falling at 29F...hope that incoming band hits us and doesn't skirt just north of us - that could be a 1/2" band...

Edit - and of course, that entire 20 DBZ band weakened to 15 DBZ right on our doorstep - still snowing at a light to moderate clip - guessing we get a 1/4" out of this - will measure later...

5 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

What else is new, yea I think I'm gonna have to drop my snow total prediction to 1-3 for the city. The mid level warming trend on the models is just too strong to ignore. Still hope sleet hangs on for a while before the flip to rain, it's very unpredictable for the metro area.

You never know. The models can also be underdoing the low level cold like we saw with past storms. Like Neg NAO stated , this will be a nowcasting event.

13 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

6z runs weren't encouraging at all, especially losing the GFS. At least there should be some frozen precip. Can't catch a break at all! Hopefully that high holds its ground king enough for something halfway decent.

This is like a broken record. I just need a snow day at this point, even if it's  a bust.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

6z runs weren't encouraging at all, especially losing the GFS. At least there should be some frozen precip. Can't catch a break at all! Hopefully that high holds its ground king enough for something halfway decent.

Expect 1-3 inches and hopefully we end up getting more.

6 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

A snow day isn't going to happen this time around although alot of schools are either closed or delayed for inland areas.

If sleet is called for and it is coming down my schools will close, unless it starts well after around 5 am. If the sleet is progged to quickly changeover, then no. We have closed many times for 2-3 of sleet.

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

WHat happened? Went to bed and WNYC was expecting 2-4 in the city. A couple overnight bad runs again?

This is just not the year for snow.   Recently, this storm would have somehow figured out how to drop 4 inches in NYC.   Tmw will be lucky to see one inch before the sleet and rain take over 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

If sleet is called for and it is coming down my schools will close, unless it starts well after around 5 am. If the sleet is progged to quickly changeover, then no. We have closed many times for 2-3 of sleet.

Wow really?

19 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

WHat happened? Went to bed and WNYC was expecting 2-4 in the city. A couple overnight bad runs again?

1-3 to play it safe 

13 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

This is just not the year for snow.   Recently, this storm would have somehow figured out how to drop 4 inches in NYC.   Tmw will be lucky to see one inch before the sleet and rain take over 

I wouldn't be shocked if we see more than 2 inches . Have to see how the CAD plays out.

6 hours ago, RU848789 said:

We have an official dusting with light snow falling at 29F...hope that incoming band hits us and doesn't skirt just north of us - that could be a 1/2" band...

Edit - and of course, that entire 20 DBZ band weakened to 15 DBZ right on our doorstep - still snowing at a light to moderate clip - guessing we get a 1/4" out of this - will measure later...

Ended up with a pretty 1/4" coating on everything.  Take anything I can get.  

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic