Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 11 -12 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

36 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

You hope you can hang onto sleet a bit longer, but it's gonna take a while to scour this low level cold out. 

Skew T's on the HRRR have the 900mb level over freezing by 6pm in the city.   I unfortunately think this looks a period of like ZR.  Shorter for the coast, could be a few hrs interior. 

Maybe a dumb question.  Are there current state soundings/skew T's for any location or specific locations that one can find?  Or is that kind of data only available to the folks who collect the data from balloons and other sources for input into the various models?  I'm assuming there's some set of global/local soundings that get fed into the models and then they use the model physics to calculate the soundings for locations over time, which would obviously have some error bars associated with them.  I keep looking at HRRR and other soundings for my location and others in the future, but was curious what my actual sounding is right now, because we changed to freezing rain around 4:30 pm with a surface temp of 29F and I thought we'd stay sleet based on the HRRR soundings for the future (showing ~2500+ feet of column below 32F to freeze the melted snow from above).  Clearly either the model was wrong or my interpretation of the model was flawed - probably some of both, as the model still had me at 29F at 5 pm and we had risen to 32F as of 5 pm.  Any insight?  TIA.  

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Sleet picked up the last 20 minutes and we're now up to 1.75" of snow/sleet combined, as of 4 pm, and it's sleeting pretty heavily right now and the radar looks very juicy. Still 29F, so hoping this next hour or so of heavy precip is sleet and not freezing rain. HRRR still showing sleet for the NB/Edison area until about 6 pm or so; could have a bit of freezing rain after that for an hour or two.  Kids having a blast across the street (small sledding hill) and the local roads are horrible.

We now have freezing rain in Metuchen; it surprisingly started around 4:30 pm while I was shoveling (after we reached 1.8" of sleet/snow) with a temp of 29F.  It's now up to 31F as of 5:10 pm and trees, cars, walkways that were cleared, etc., are icy.  Be especially careful if you're cleared your driveway/walkway, like I did before it changed.  Hopefully, this doesn't last too long.  

Some major accidents out there, too - bus just overturned on the Turnpike in Woodbridge - freezing rain is some dangerous stuff, although I think we'll be above 32F in the next hour, with NB now at 33F, but models are showing extended freezing rain tonight north of 78 and especially north of 80.  

2 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

I was wrong on this storm----I predicted a changeover to rain early--instead it went to sleet and stayed as sleet.  Probably about .5 inch snow

Everybody was wrong on some part of this one - nearly impossible to get more than half of it right, lol...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

We now have freezing rain in Metuchen; it surprisingly started around 4:30 pm while I was shoveling (after we reached 1.8" of sleet/snow) with a temp of 29F.  It's now up to 31F as of 5:10 pm and trees, cars, walkways that were cleared, etc., are icy.  Be especially careful if you're cleared your driveway/walkway, like I did before it changed.  Hopefully, this doesn't last too long.  

Some major accidents out there, too - bus just overturned on the Turnpike in Woodbridge - freezing rain is some dangerous stuff, although I think we'll be above 32F in the next hour, with NB now at 33F, but models are showing extended freezing rain tonight north of 78 and especially north of 80.  

That's my concern and it was def right to cancel local schools today, I'm really surprised RU-NB toughed it out, but I guess most students live on campus. Newark closed, more commuters there. Still, nice to have an event and the new Craftsmen did a nice job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I hardly saw any ZR during the 80’s. 

In the 70's I remember them, and the 90's. The 80's didn't feature too much winter weather. There would be some light events, then a few big storms from time to time, every few years. All memory is somewhat subjective; that's why memoir writers get into trouble sometimes; they may remember things differently than others do. I'm not talking about the ones who just make stuff up. I can remember fishing trips with fellow anglers when we can't agree what year and sometimes what fish we were catching!

Hi,

The following are two graphics that I think are useful in determining snowfall potential.  The first is the NWS ensemble probability for various amounts of snow and freezing rain.  In this case, for a local briefing I used the prob for snow exceeding 4", issued prior to 4am this morning by the NWS.  It ... and if you haven't seen or used this,  its good stuff.  It showed not that a great a chance for exceeding 4" along and s of I84. 

I also added a graphic for consideration:  Anytime the NAM FOUS has 0 or +C at T5,  it sleets or rains, barring excessive VV in the ideal dendritic growth zone (saturated -12 to 18C).  Anyway, here's a 00z/12 look at the NAM 3KM T section for HPN.  Note the modeled 0C aloft approaching HPN ~17z, when the sleet began mixing in.   If the model changes with time, that needs to be considered.  In this case, the warming aloft was pretty stout early on. 914260440_ScreenShot2019-02-12at5_44_16PM.thumb.png.fd562296d75d6dcc24d282122d14b514.png

I view both of these tools as helpful reality checks, especially NAM inside of 60 hours. 

Any questions?

Later, Walt

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 5.36.56 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Warming up quickly now, as it just hit 33F around 5:50 pm, so the freezing rain risk is now over for us...enjoy the rest of it, folks up north...

Fascinating storm: clearly showed that 1.8" isn't always 1.8" - was actually about 4-4.5" of "snow equivalent" and had an impact like a 4-5" storm, IMO. Was nowhere near snowmageddon, but was certainly a close 2nd to the 11/15 storm for this winter. That one was so impactful because of the timing, starting after everyone was at work and had had lunch and the lowball forecasts from almost everyone right up until it started.

• Like 1