Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 11 -12 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

Just now, allgame830 said:

Agreed... funny though you don't see omega and snowman19 posting because there predictions were flat out wrong!

They expected rain sooner, and in some areas there was some brief drizzle but it switched back. RIght now is an all out sleet event. Sleetstorm must be in his glory.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Sleet mixing with snow again here in SW Suffolk after just pure sleet for a while.

Mostly very light snow / IP mix here, but over the past couple of minutes there were a couple of rain drops.  12z 3k NAM soundings had the temperature just nicking 0C way up around 800 mb as of noon and slightly over at the same height by 1pm.  Nothing that would seem to support FZRA.  I don't think it's wrong on the whole, but this isn't a linear transition.  There's little blobs of warmer air floating around aloft, probably at lower levels. 

Temperature is still 26.

8 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Sleet mix started about 5 minutes ago in Smithtown.  About 60% snow as of 11:55.  Precip is light.  26F 

1" of snowfall.

Its been all sleet in Hauppauge for the last hour or so ... about 1/2" on the ground.   Seems like the north shore has held on to more snow than sleet, my son sent me a picture from Wading River that looked like over an inch, similar to your report.

Nice to have a thread to report on!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Mostly very light snow / IP mix here, but over the past couple of minutes there were a couple of rain drops.  12z 3k NAM soundings had the temperature just nicking 0C way up around 800 mb as of noon and slightly over at the same height by 1pm.  Nothing that would seem to support FZRA.  I don't think it's wrong on the whole, but this isn't a linear transition.  There's little blobs of warmer air floating around aloft, probably at lower levels. 

Temperature is still 26.

Something for everyone today with the eventual transition to some low topped convection for tonight.

• Like 1