Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 11 -12 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

1 minute ago, NittanyWx said:

I am, just speaking in generalities.  I don't see much of a diff between lower HV and CT surface temps for the bulk of the day.

Vis down, roads covered in Stamford already.

As long as the wind stays out of the east it will likely stay warmer along the coast than up here only 25 or so miles north of Stamford. The microclimates around here are pretty cool to observe. What's the temp there now? I'm at 17*.

ANd just like that it is sleet. We will not seen anywhere close to the high end. really needed that early start. Not surprised. Conditions are not terrible and Rutgers will resume classes at noon. Kinda sucks for my son, has classes til 8. Should just be plain rain by then but I don't trust these forecasts. Could be ice. Worst thing to drive in IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Checking in with my " nothingburger " coming down at a good steady clip,  EVERYTHING is white in New City 26 degrees

It won't be a nothing burger up there. However, it is not that bad down here in CNJ ( techincally this is barely NNJ but whatever ) but still not a nothing burger. If you don't drive carefully you can get hurt, simple as that.

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's gonna be a problem scouring out the low level cold, dews for many places are still in the low 20s or even teens. 

I expect the ice to linger a lot longer than expected.

That's my worry, that the ice hangs on. This is the thing that people underestimate. It's not all about accumulations.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

ANd just like that it is sleet. We will not seen anywhere close to the high end. really needed that early start. Not surprised. Conditions are not terrible and Rutgers will resume classes at noon. Kinda sucks for my son, has classes til 8. Should just be plain rain by then but I don't trust these forecasts. Could be ice. Worst thing to drive in IMO.

The main reason you may be sleeping more than anything is you’re likely in that hole where the echoes are lighter.  The dual pole radar argues not too many places in this forum should be seeing sleet right now 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Going to go for a JebWalk - can't just sit inside and watch this stuff, folks - get out and enjoy it - absolutely ripping snow here right now.  

Glad I got out in it when it was pouring snow, since it's now 90% sleet as of about 9:55 am.  We got 3/4" of snow before the change.  Now let the sleetfest begin - hope we can get at least 1" of sleet out of this.  Roads are treacherous - I can see Route 27 from my house and people are moving very slowly, as everything is covered.  As I've said countless times, 1" of sleet is the same mass as roughly 3" of 10:1 snow and roads aren't going to be better with sleet, especially since sleet will melt more slowly than snow (much lower surface area to volume ratio). 

Latest HRRR has me at sleet, with surface temps at or below 32F until 5 pm with another 0.3" LE or so of sleet falling (would be ~1" OTG) - seems like precip forecast has really gone down, though.  Changeover to rain would be around 6 pm as modeled, with a total of 1" LE for the storm, meaning about 0.5" LE as rain - if it's that late, the pm commute will be a tough one.  12Z NAM, on the other hand, also has me changing over between 4 and 7 pm (probably 5 pm - only soundings from 4 and 7), with 0.6-0.7" total LE as frozen and a total of 1.4" LE for the storm, so another 0.7" of plain rain.  

Just now, RU848789 said:

Glad I got out in it when it was pouring snow, since it's now 90% sleet as of about 9:55 am.  We got 3/4" of snow before the change.  Now let the sleetfest begin - hope we can get at least 1" of sleet out of this.  Roads are treacherous - I can see Route 27 from my house and people are moving very slowly, as everything is covered.  As I've said countless times, 1" of sleet is the same mass as roughly 3" of 10:1 snow and roads aren't going to be better with sleet, especially since sleet will melt more slowly than snow (much lower surface area to volume ratio).  Latest HRRR has me at sleet, with surface temps at or below 32F until 5 pm with another 0.3" LE or so of sleet falling (would be ~1" OTG) - seems like precip forecast has really gone down, though.  Changeover to rain would be around 6 pm as modeled - if it's that late, the pm commute will be a tough one. 

The question is will that be a freezing type rain; if so that is very serious for the evening commute.

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

As long as the wind stays out of the east it will likely stay warmer along the coast than up here only 25 or so miles north of Stamford. The microclimates around here are pretty cool to observe. What's the temp there now? I'm at 17*.

Down to 22.  I live about 4 miles north of the Merritt, my desk is in Stamford.  Down to 19 at the house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The main reason you may be sleeping more than anything is you’re likely in that hole where the echoes are lighter.  The dual pole radar argues not too many places in this forum should be seeing sleet right now 

Yep snow has lightened significantly on Staten Island and I just heard some pingers hitting the window. Hopefully that's not the last of the snow :(

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Already turned too sleet here on the Middlesex/Union County NJ border - was it really necessary to close schools and declare a State of Emergency ?:facepalm:

Yes. It isn't all about accumulations.  School days are built in to the calendar. Unlikely we'll use them all this year. Perhaps they should do SEM by county, as clearly some will be more impacted than others.

6 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Already turned too sleet here on the Middlesex/Union County NJ border - was it really necessary to close schools and declare a State of Emergency ?:facepalm: what is the economic impact ????

Yes I think it was warranted. In fact conditions will be more dangerous due to the icy conditions expected. 

HRRR has been trending colder and colder too.

2 minutes ago, Mark McIntyre said:

Yeah that mixing line is fast approaching, it's pretty much right on top of EWR - SI - JFK

Only like a half inch at most here, not even fully covering the ground, kind of disappointed. Could easily bust on the 2-4" that was predicted, although the sleet line will slow some as it encounters the colder air to the northeast. It's only 26/20 at LGA and colder here in the residential areas north of Pelham Pkwy so I'm a little worried about ice.