Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, weathafella said:

So who do we trust?  

I'd lean toward the NAM....I am not quite biting on it full though. There's still some synoptic features that give me a little pause....the warm push could run into some temporary resistance, Omega will play a role too.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd lean toward the NAM....I am not quite biting on it full though. There's still some synoptic features that give me a little pause....the warm push could run into some temporary resistance, Omega will play a role too.

70/30 blend with NAM and the other stuff is what I went with.

The paint peeling pinger fest probably good for an inch of accumulation on top of whatever snow falls too.

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

70/30 blend with NAM and the other stuff is what I went with.

The paint peeling pinger fest probably good for an inch of accumulation on top of whatever snow falls too.

Yeah, the sleet will initially have prob like a 4 to 1 or even 5 to 1 ratio since 900mb is so frigid...like -10C...lot of pixie dust.

NAM is colder at Logan in the T1 sigma level on the FRH FOUS. Never higher than 0 C  at that level 

probably signals close to warning ice after several inches of sno ORH to ASH ... nasty storm should that pan out   But I have feelin this may be an inch of PLs again for many n of the pike

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice fresh supply of cold coming down in lower levels as John alluded to. Good luck scouring that out. 

Yeah honestly .. I don't see that happening.  I mean the warmth can fist all it wants above 900 ... Ptype fine .  But the surface locks at or less than freezing in this

shoukd be a warning for dual/ aggregate impact 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gotta love the old school dumbfounded look on this....Scooter and Phil ripping S+ while ART/SYR/ALB are getting scalped....lol

Feb12_00zRGEM23.png

Don't know exactly how the NAM and RGEM algos print out sleet but based on the soundings I just checked it appears as soon as any layer breaks the 0 c line the algos show sleet. I remember this from years ago.

Principal forecast issues

• Liquid equivalent to sleet ratio
  • Erosion of a sleet producing melting layer, supporting snow at the expense of sleet
    • If due to melting, evaluate soundings for presence of a near freezing isothermal layer. More likely to occur when the thickness values in the 850/700 mb layer are in the 1550-57 range.
    • If due to cold air advection, note trends in the 850/700 mb partial thickness values. 
    • A max temperature in the melting layer < 1 C supports snow while temperatures > 1 C and < 3 C support a snow/sleet mix to sleet event.