Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just once it would  be nice just to get even a few inches of all snow. Instead, it’s diarrhea of the clouds from this abysmal season.  God it can’t end soon enough.

the way that translates up here is "just once could we have snow on snow, instead of repeated melt outs?"  This winter is like a good winter in the Delaware Valley where I lived 40 years.  It was a great winter to have 40 inches in early February and it was normal to melt out after storms.  But up here ths winter is 2nd in terribility to  09-10

I expect this thing to trend warmer today and and heavier and warmer rain this weekend and then a snow storm to show up next week and then another melt.  Is there any compelling believable reason that we will get a new england-wide non-mixing snow storm that will stay on the ground a while and get more snow on top of it?  Seems unlikely even if models show something in th 7-10.

I do expect a March April -NAO though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Wtf happened in here?   It hasn’t changed much since yesterday..

Not sure. Unless anyone was expecting >6" in our zone then not much has changed. It's gonna be a 5 or 6 hour burst and it just depends how hard it comes down for us. Could be weak sauce 2-3" or it could be 5-6" if it is able to really rip for 3-4 hours. 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not sure. Unless anyone was expecting >6" in our zone then not much has changed. It's gonna be a 5 or 6 hour burst and it just depends how hard it comes down for us. Could be weak sauce 2-3" or it could be 5-6" if it is able to really rip for 3-4 hours. 

Ginxy told us to expect a region wide 6-10".  Jerry said 8 muthafukas.

1 minute ago, Bostonseminole said:

so what's with the warm tongue all winter? 

It's a SWFE. They happen in almost every single one. Don't you remember years like 2007-2008 and 2008-2009? We had a lot of front enders those winters. 

This one is no different. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's a SWFE. They happen in almost every single one. Don't you remember years like 2007-2008 and 2008-2009? We had a lot of front enders those winters. 

OK, I just thought this winter was more pronounced, I guess we've had no true NEster ... I was in California 2007-2008 so missed it..

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just once it would  be nice just to get even a few inches of all snow. Instead, it’s diarrhea of the clouds from this abysmal season.  God it can’t end soon enough.

I'm sorry Scott. I'm with you big time this.  As I posted from an earlier post from the weather people in Taunton, we can get front enders but even then those are not that great.  The chance of maturing Lows going to our south are remote in this particular winter/set-up.  Yes, there's time for a March 1956 like storm or something to hold out for but for the most part this is what we have been seeing since that Novermber 12 snow which by the way, we haven't seen as much here in the heart of our viewing area yet.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but they seem more "aggressive" this year.  The IP at -2° last month was a new experience for me.

Just now, tamarack said:

Maybe it's just my perception, but they seem more "aggressive" this year.  The IP at -2° last month was a new experience for me.

Jan 20 was definitely one of the more impressive ones I've seen. 

Though the one on Jan 29-30 was kind of meh and the November one also ran into a lot of resistance. 

idk...0.10"/hr for 4-8 hours is a decent thump. It's just that a portion of that will be tainted with sleet. I think the radar will look fine pre-dryslot...then you get into the showery look with SHRA near the shore and ZL/IP over the interior depending on latitude. I'm not sure the low levels will be cold enough for ice crystal development once the dryslot hits so it's probably a liquid deal for most at that point...again whether it's freezing on contact or not depends on the location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

So the Big Thump idea is gone now...lol.  That's what we were all hoping for in SNE....

Not sure it was ever on the table in your area...at least for amounts over 6". 

For north of the pike though it still cannot be ruled out but I've been favoring 4-6 for days here despite some of the 7-8" totals appearing from time to time on a few runs. 

NAM has been giving pause but it's coming in really strong at 12z for areas like KBED up to Ray