Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’m noticing a trend across guidance for the primary to close off later at H5. To me that means the chance is increasing over time for an earlier pop of the coastal low. I also anticipate the low level CAD due to that surface high strength/position will be more significant than modeled—even all the way down to the Mid Atlantic at 48 hrs. Expecting to see cold air damning —upper 20’s down to central Virginia wouldn’t surprise me at 12z Tuesday...

You have the same thought process as me

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks--my concern was that the primary looks to continue to deepen suggesting a later redevelopment.

Whatever it takes!

In terms of mid level temps it’s a catch-22 of sorts bc we’re in between a true SWFE and a Miller B. Cutting off early also causes more problems at the surface bc the wind becomes more easterly...The best outcome for us is a dynamic Miller B where the primary doesn’t cut-off and instead the coastal surface reflection can tap the best UL dynamics, faster/earlier...The more progressive the primary, the better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

In terms of mid level temps it’s a catch-22 of sorts bc we’re in between a true SWFE and a Miller B. Cutting off early also causes more problems at the surface bc the wind becomes more easterly...The best outcome for us is a dynamic Miller B where the primary doesn’t cut-off and instead the coastal surface reflection can tap the best UL dynamics, faster/earlier...The more progressive the primary, the better.

Gotcha--thanks.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The 06zNAM has me a bit concerned.  That’s a lot of sleet.   On the one hand, it’s the NAM...proceed with caution...

on the other hand, it matches the tenor of the season.

How many SWFE does one have to witness to realize the nam is king with mid levels in them and it’s not close

15?, 30?  5 years worth ? Infinity 

like Will said it’s nam at hr 66 but it leads the way with these unless somehow we pop a secondary stronger and Sooner (this year, I’d bet against that )

Just now, moneypitmike said:

Maybe so, but it's not on its own with there being a lot of sleet.

Every model has significant sleet south of CON. But the timing of the changeover matters a lot for snow. An early changeover means 2-4" and a later one would be like 6-10". 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

That sleet line will race north. It always does in these . So will the zr line . Another narrow zone of siggy zr

The 2m temps here are much colder than in the last system (I'm not sure about the one 2 systems ago).  The temp/depth of the warm layer will need to be enough to keep it from being ip.