Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

24 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I never understood worrying about melting something when the actual event is the best part.  Then again I’ve never cared that much about retention.

I'm a big fat hypocrite when it comes to the 'retention' thing...

I don't care until my maxes are approaching, then I dial in a bit more.   Shy of that?  Don't give a poop.  In fact, I'm entering the time of year where it can snow 20" in a fascinating bomb, and if it's 70 F the next day, I'm good with that.

I've never been able to sustain more than 40" on the level... the impetus there: sustain.   Once in 1996, and twice since ...

The latter one in 2015, the snow was so light and gossamer, do to the obscenely cold temperatures, that the pack its self kept compressing down under its own weight.  One of the reasons by I disrespect that incredible stretch ... well, "disrespect" is too heavy - more like ... mar the panache of it. :)   Basically, we had 48" at greatest imby, when of those apex storms ended. But the next day, in 7 F cold, it was down to 40" ... interesting. 

Something about that 36 to 40" range where I wonder if you have to have something particularly rare or strange to sustain numbers bigger.  That's a lot of weight, compression may in fact kick in there - but I'm not snow-pack structural engineer, just guesstimating -

Back in 2001 or perhaps 2002... I recall a night at 'The Mad Raven' on Rt 20 in Waltham. I lived down off Moody street back then - man... I'm taken there nostalgically like a favorite song at the moment. Anyway, the usual... cigarettes and pints, with a shot of whiskey, and I don't know how it came up but this fellow was from Nova Scotia ...  He pulled out some wallet pictures of snow, so high, that the his driveway was walled off by some 10 or 12' ... yes, feet!  He said it was like the snowiest year up that way to date... which may or may not be true over cigarettes, pints and whiskey but you know how quaff goes.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

No big ordeal. lol...I'm in a great mood. You can just be a total asshole sometimes.

As opposed to someone in a "great mood" telling someone else they can be a total asshole sometimes.

How in the f! does "c'mon ..." equate to asshole? 

I get it - welcome to the hoi polloi

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s not some warm Rainer to Mainer late week lol. Some of those posts are ridiculous. It’s another double barreled low with coastal redevelopment as the ens all show . Decent cold high though not as cold as the Tuesday storm . Another wintry mix deal 

You are starting to sound like James.  Although I suppose the GS could ignite a heretofore unseen coastal bomb.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This front end thump looks pretty good. Still has plenty of time to trend either way but there will be some good fronto with that high position. 

I mean it's sooo close to really committing to that secondary...  For the secondary's sake, if those 500 mb jet mechanics can nose a bit closer to the Del Marva there.. it'd really take off.

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow what a thump on that run.  

IMG_2187.thumb.PNG.8d34ee9bb6c2bd3900c39ae12cbe0d17.PNG

Hopefully that can tickle south a bit to secure warning levels in northern MA.

44 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm actually in Hyannis today....thankfully, I won't be Tuesday night lol

Maybe James can hitch a ride with you back to Methuen.

47 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Somehow NYC does a but better than coastal CT, but at this point 4 inches is a huge win.

It’s just noise based in QPF oddities at this range.  NYC always does well on SWFEs when the high is positioned as it is during this event.  November was the same and the top analog on CIPS was 1/11/91 when NYC saw 6 inches 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

long time lurker of this sub. I enjoy reading the discussions you guys have, generally when a pattern is good for you its okay for Southern Ontario. Right now I'm in a slightly better position regarding this pattern but still getting shafted by the lows all going far NW of even us here in S.Ontario. 

57 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This front end thump looks pretty good. Still has plenty of time to trend either way but there will be some good fronto with that high position. 

december 15, 2007 comes to mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Something for everyone.

image.thumb.png.78a37715c55e936bd70ae6ca55521e19.png

Have seen this sort of layout before ... In fact, I distinctly recall seeing a tornado warning one time actually inside a blizzard warning ... The tornadic supercell strafed by and two hours later ... 45 mph N inland gales with RS flipping to S+ and temperature falling like a nympathic prom queen were going to turn the air to milk.