• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

Like Will just said...the ice doesn’t look to be a big deal...   but the way this year is going, I suppose anything is possible, except maybe an all snow system????  

November 15th still reigns supreme this year in SNE..at least for me(8.75” in that one), not looking like this beats it..at least not currently???? 

20 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The antecedent airmass in this one is much colder than the one back in January....we actually had to advect in the cold last month during the storm. We started that one in the upper 20s and then eventually fell back as the CAD strengthened....this one is gonna be like in the teens at the start once we wetbulb.

The front end potential in this one looks a bit better too because of where the high is located...smack in the middle of Quebec is a good place for it to form the "brick wall" of cold that can create the big front end ML fronto for a thump.

Started that storm near 10 degrees and fell back to 5 degrees, this airmass is actually much warmer

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

12z NAM is icy!!

Yeah... My easiest correction with the mid week deal is that regardless of what model, 0 of them will absolutely handle the lower thicknesses of the troposphere.

I've said this many times before; that's fact.  They can't - it's mathematically impossible for them to resolve the jagged nature of the tactility between the air and land, and what is called the turbulent "Ekman boundary" - where turbulent drag exists.  ... Oh, they can get to within the 90th percentile in a WSW deeply mixed barotropic June air mass approaching 90 F  ... but that resolution will never approach that level of accuracy in a situation like the context of mid week.

( (cold air ends up underneath warm air ) + (Ekman fuzziness) ) / 2 = higher degree of error as to where the frontal position in that circumstance will truly be. 

That 90th percentile clarity of June drops precipitously when it comes to a polar high jamming cold back-filling air mass into the conduit region E of the Berks'/Greens and Whites... This next system should be even more convincingly icy than the last, with more obviously focused ageostrophic wind.  If the elevated kinematics of warm transport weakens...say, because the system does find an anomalously stretched/elongation ..and concomitant weakening push aloft, the iciness gets more PL and snow along that spectrum. But as is? I don't care what met says what ... when > 70 % of a cyclostrophic energy is conserved over Lake Huron with a cold wedge over Quebec, you're probabilities are limited.

It's been an interesting year of the models going out of their way to abut clad reasoning ...so, it'll be interesting to see the Euro now pull off the physically impossible snow bomb :axe:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

If that’s the case, I hope Friday is a warm rainer. 

Ha!  ...yeah, preachin' to the quire.

Frankly, I tend to start losing my grip on winter enthusiasm as I approach the ides of February anyway...  And, that is particularly going to be true in bent over, viciously unrelenting kosmik dildo winters like this one - it's going to average right up there in the bottom list :wacko2: if it goes on to end this way.  Starting to get easier, if perhaps Stockholm Syndrome ... to foresee this just blithely attenuating out to tepid days interrupted by BD face smacks.

Oy. 

I dunno...  In all seriousness, there are too many big Marches in the annuls... I mean, this is not a prediction, but the fact of the matter is...we don't know - we don't know if this could be one of those Marches.... Let alone, we still got 20 days of this month... 

Ah, I get it - folks that vest in this emotionally have frustrations (even anger) and relying upon this winter? It's really like the horrible crush you had on the biggest ..uh, enter adjective here ... in high school.  I mean, she gets to keep giving you cause to not let go, ...and you couldn't because you were compelled... 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha!  ...yeah, preachin' to the quire.

Frankly, I tend to start losing my grip on winter enthusiasm as I approach the ides of February anyway...  And, that is particularly going to be true in bent over, viciously unrelenting kosmik dildo winters like this one - it's going to average right up there in the bottom list :wacko2: if it goes on to end this way.  Starting to get easier, if perhaps Stockholm Syndrome ... to foresee this just blithely attenuating out to tepid days interrupted by BD face smacks.

Oy. 

I dunno...  In all seriousness, there are too many big Marches in the annuls... I mean, this is not a prediction, but the fact of the matter is...we don't know - we don't know if this could be one of those Marches.... Let alone, we still got 20 days of this month... 

Ah, I get it - folks that vest in this emotionally have frustrations (even anger) and relying upon this winter? It's really like the horrible crush you had on the biggest ..uh, enter adjective here ... in high school.  I mean, she gets to keep giving you cause to not let go, ...and you couldn't because you were compelled... 

Right on cue...."ides of February" talk...tomorrow he'll drop an irradiance bomb, then on Valentine's day...haha..all bets are off-

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right on cue...."ides of February" talk...tomorrow he'll drop an irradiance bomb, then on Valentine's day...haha..all bets are off-

Ah ha ha...

meh, it's true though... The perennial solar minimum ends tomorrow ;)

why is it ... serious question:  why is that just because someone writes about ...losing interest in the middle of February,  that sparks smoldering resentment ... merely cloaked in good spirited ribbing?   who cares?

It's weird ... not sure what the mechanism is ... As though my or anyone else losing interest is a bad omen for one's own shattering illusion I guess

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Started that storm near 10 degrees and fell back to 5 degrees, this airmass is actually much warmer

You're in the HV and were able to easily tap into that funneled arctic air. Most of us started around 30 and then plunged as the air drained south. This is much colder to start for most of our forum.

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah ha ha...

meh, it's true though... The perennial solar minimum ends tomorrow ;)

why is it ... serious question:  why is that just because someone writes about ...losing interest in the middle of February,  that sparks smoldering resentment ... merely cloaked in good spirited ribbing?   who cares?

It's weird ... not sure what the mechanism is ... As though my or anyone else losing interest is a bad omen for one's own shattering illusion I guess

I don't resent the idea of this winter ending TBH.

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Thump, cut, cold, repeat.

Why is that bad?

seriously...this is a good op for delving deeper into the murky psychology of 'why this crap matters' so much ...

If it snows 4 or 5" ...then cuts to sleet and freezing rain, that's fine... Or should be - I'm starting to really get a loss to figure out what it is people are after.  I think it's a conditioning issue...

IF we had endured a steady diet of snowy events... this would be a pleasant diversion?  But, since we have not experienced, ...pretty much any exciting winter of modeling histrionics combined with fruitfully snowing outputs... this is some kind of intolerable asshole event.  :)  ..Funny watching en mass, sheep be herded along by the vicissitudes of modeling AI -

seems like it... 

Reality check ...for me anyway.  If it snows 4 or 5" and then we get advisory level icing over top, that's fascinating phenomenon period. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2