• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    binbisso
    Newest Member
    binbisso

Winter Storm - February 11-13, 2019

28 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Would have included Cook, DuPage, Will and Grundy as well.

What do Lake and McHenry fall under? Sleet storm warning

3 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

What do Lake and McHenry fall under? Sleet storm warning

Would have northern tier in WSW.

I believe it’s all rimed snowflakes up here, obviously not accumulating effectively, but probably an inch or so down. Definitely no ice to speak of and it’s not sleet anymore. It’s actually blowing and drifting a bit.

A couple more from what is so far a spectacular event. That’s the Aon center in the background of the first picture. Wild to have this in the Loop

A6961ED2-0463-4909-B290-5A2E61DD0A1E.jpeg

A620E928-438D-4466-BC7E-3D11C07B1225.jpeg

• Like 4

It's pretty crazy how something always seems to go wrong for Cedar Rapids.  It's a real struggle just to get a 6" snowstorm here.  6" just isn't that much, but it is here.  This one finally looked like a sure thing, but nope.

• Sad 2

side walks skating rinks here....tress have a notice coating...car 50% ice 50% liquid

the difference between this event and the other ice event is that even though temps are marginal once again (32/33). this time it is not happening in the middle of the day...and it's at night...just enough solar radiation,  even during cloudy winter days , in marginal temp situation always seem to be a factor

• Thanks 1

Checked my backyard tree and it has a good 1/8" ice on it.  Precip rates are decent but not too heavy, which is definitely helping the accretion since temps are fairly marginal.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

39 between 80 and 88 is having some serious problems. Wouldn’t surprise me if ISP shuts it down for a bit. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if most everything in that area is going to be a disaster by morning, can only imagine with another 6ish hours of this. 

13 minutes ago, mimillman said:

A couple more from what is so far a spectacular event. That’s the Aon center in the background of the first picture. Wild to have this in the Loop

A6961ED2-0463-4909-B290-5A2E61DD0A1E.jpeg

A620E928-438D-4466-BC7E-3D11C07B1225.jpeg

Yeah that looks pretty decent for downtown with more to come.  The deck is always stacked against getting noteworthy ice there, but deeper into winter is probably a more favored time than, say, December.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah that looks pretty decent for downtown with more to come.  The deck is always stacked against getting noteworthy ice there, but deeper into winter is probably a more favored time than, say, December.

As mentioned previously, the lack of diurnal influence is making this event what it is. Also I think nighttime events dampen the strong UHI you would typically see in these marginal BL set ups. 

Not to mention, the lake is frozen near the shore which is a huge plus

We got lucky a couple weeks ago.  We got .25 to .3 with some strong winds right on the tail.  Fortunately those winds only lasted an hour or less.  I sincerely hope, with some of the modeled accretion rates, y'all don't get hammered.  It's one thing to get paralyzed by a 20 inch 50 mph blizzard but a .5 to 1.0 inch ice storm with 30-40 mph winds really sucks. 

22 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

side walks skating rinks here....tress have a notice coating...car 50% ice 50% liquid

the difference between this event and the other ice event is that even though temps are marginal once again (32/33). this time it is not happening in the middle of the day...and it's at night...just enough solar radiation,  even during cloudy winter days , in marginal temp situation always seem to be a factor

Yea when this started this afternoon nothing was icing but as soon as it got dark all bets were off. Good glaze on everything here. I bet we are in the .1-.2in range. The lighter rates with this proved for better accretion to. It has picked up in intensity now. Not sure if it is rain now or still freezing rain. My wx station has been holding at 32/31 all night. Hasn't been showing anything in my guage here so leading me to believe it is still icing

Started off as snow/sleet here early this evening for an hour or two, but has been FZRA ever since then.

Been holding at 31 for the past 2-3hrs.  Pure freezing rain continues.  Some models gave us more sleet than freezing rain, so there were multiple layers of fail depending on which model you used.  The sleet and snow from earlier has now glaciated into a solid sheet of ice that will be very difficult to remove off the driveway and sidewalks.  

The back edge of the snow/mix line has quickly surged northeast through Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, so we are back to snow.  Much of the heavier precip is done, though.  Radar shows a lot of dry pockets to the sw.  It might be a struggle to get the additional 1.5" of snow needed to reach 6" for the event.

Pretty fun to watch the CC radar for this one, especially out in Iowa. Im back to sleet as the mix line just surged north through Lake County and looks to stay there for awhile. Still no raindrops.

Madison through La Crosse looks to be in a good spot.

Based on trends/obs, I think the end is near as far as additional icing here.  By that I mean in the next hour or two at most.

Back edge of the precip is approaching, so luckily it won't get too out of hand here.  WAA aloft is about to cut off anyway, so snow will become the dominant precip type in about an hour or two at most.  My 0.5-1.5" snow call from last night will end up being pretty decent in the end.  

• Like 1

Looks like about 0.2" accretion here best I can tell.  Think the marginal temps, particularly the past few hours has cut down on better accretion.  If temps would have been 3-5 degrees colder, and with less wind we'd probably have over 0.4" accretion by now.