Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm - February 11-13, 2019

AppsRunner

6 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

That’s not how you forecast though. You have to go with model guidance, and forecast based off of that. You can’t just go off of a hunch, that’s not how it works. Cyclone has low-balled his area every storm this season, except for this one.

The problem is offices stuck with their original forecasts and did not alter things until it was much to late, LOT most significantly. It was pretty clear by 6-7PM that this was going to be an ice event for most areas and not a bigger snow or sleet event. However, LOT for example didn’t really catch up until several hours later.

While NAM performed the best, it was even way off...with the snow/freezing rain line having made it into S. Wisconsin and north of DBQ. The warm “wedge” aloft was actually deeper and warmer than modeled by any guidance as well.

Thanks for the lesson teacher.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

How much would you say melted?  Looking out the window here at the trees in the distance (not at home), can still see the white sheen though it's not as prominent as it was early morning.  

I think we may have melted enough around here to avoid a big problem later but it doesn't take much with the expected winds.

I'd say we only lost a minimal amount here, and the temp never got above 33 either.

I noticed that it appears taller/mature trees further off the ground didn't really lose anything at all.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Power outage numbers around N. Illinois keep bouncing up and down, as crews try to catch up and new outages roll in. 

Sitting at ~14k right now.

I always use a power outage on a week night as a reason to drink. Lights haven't even flickered.:(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toronto4 said:

Mixture of freezing rain and ice pellets/sleet in downtown Toronto. Indications are that this will change to snow shortly.

Looks like it has changed back to snow at my place. Hoping for another 2" before it's all said and done. Roads are a total mess. No plows have come by yet. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Low balling your area like usual.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Can't wait to see negative nancy Cyclone roll in with another 6"+ event when it ends. :guitar:

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

You might have had a point, if I had actually made one.

Good point.

Moon and stars were out an hr or so ago.  Back to some snow.   Lets rip some drifts later now.

15 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Impressive blowing snow this evening in the QC. Tough travel conditions along with roads becoming icy quickly after sunset. Winds gusting over 50mph at MLI, leading to numerous power outages and tree limbs down. 

Yeah it's been pretty wicked out there.  Some chunks of ice keep breaking off the back trees and hitting the western windows.  Sounds like someone throwing rocks at the house lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah it's been pretty wicked out there.  Some chunks of ice keep breaking off the back trees and hitting the western windows.  Sounds like someone throwing rocks at the house lol.

Yep, and this tree outside my window is making all kinds of crackling noises! I just hope it stays in one piece all night! Ha 

• Like 2

Winds are fairly light so the snow is actually not falling and just ripping off towards the shore line so maybe we'll get a nice dust up if the wind can come in angry.

Friend of mine just now out in Redding, CA. sent me a picture of our next next storm later in the week:ee:

1st time she's seen snow in, Feb.

00506.jpg

• Like 3