Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Storm - February 11-13, 2019

AppsRunner

38 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Already pinging here. Doesn't look good for higher end amounts verifying.

Oh well, had a great storm two weeks ago. Can't get too greedy.

Hard to tell with the drifting, but I’d estimate around 4” has fallen so far in Toronto. Latest short range models are indicating another round of snow this evening with 2” possible. 

Ice coated branches starting to swing pretty good in the breeze. Power has popped off and on probably 15 times. Probably would be better for it to simply go off, as this constant flickering may cause a surge. LOTS of outages already reported via ComEd, and that will only get worse as the winds continue to increase 

I measured 6.9" a couple hours ago from about 0.90" precip.  We are currently receiving more bands of light to moderate snow on the backside, which will push me over 7".  The wettest models were correct about the qpf.  The GFS and Euro were way too dry and way underdid the warm nose surge.  I would have received 9-10" without the mixing.

The wind is whipping now and blowing the top layer of snow around.

I finally got my 6" storm. :D

I think we've had four winter storm warnings this year.  This is the first one that verified.

• Like 8

MSP was at 5.3” at noon. Hasn’t stopped snowing yet so it looks like we’ll be making a run at 6” or more. Models did not have a good handle on this system, after showing 8”+ totals for days they backed off significantly and it was looking like a mundane 2-4” February snow record is in serious jeopardy 

33 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

With the temps dropping, winds increasing and still a good amount of ice on trees...starting to see a lot of small branches coming down now.

How much would you say melted?  Looking out the window here at the trees in the distance (not at home), can still see the white sheen though it's not as prominent as it was early morning.  

I think we may have melted enough around here to avoid a big problem later but it doesn't take much with the expected winds.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How much would you say melted?  Looking out the window here at the trees in the distance (not at home), can still see the white sheen though it's not as prominent as it was early morning.  

I think we may have melted enough around here to avoid a big problem later but it doesn't take much with the expected winds.

We had approximately 1hr of good melting here, branches still heavily weighed down.

2 hours ago, Toronto4 said:

Hard to tell with the drifting, but I’d estimate around 4” has fallen so far in Toronto. Latest short range models are indicating another round of snow this evening with 2” possible. 

Looks like maybe 2" here.  Pretty hard bust, and unusual too because we tend to be cooler than model progs in these situations.

1 minute ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

We had approximately 1hr of good melting here, branches still heavily weighed down.

Yeah, you're probably screwed.

Looking back through the obs at the nearby reporting station, a large amount of the time above freezing was like a few tenths of a degree above freezing and it never really got above 33.

9 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Looks like maybe 2" here.  Pretty hard bust, and unusual too because we tend to be cooler than model progs in these situations.

The strong push of warm air aloft from the south was a big factor in the lower than forecasted totals. Hopefully we can make it up somewhat with the snow this evening.

10 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Pushing our luck with cashing in with big snows when sfc low tracks through Lake Huron :lol:

Not sure it it’s accurate, but the 21z RAP has 4-5” of snow for our area later this evening. Other models are in the 2-3” range. Temperatures will be marginal, but there are signs of strong dynamic cooling.