• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Storm - February 11-13, 2019

AppsRunner

side walks skating rinks here....tress have a notice coating...car 50% ice 50% liquid

the difference between this event and the other ice event is that even though temps are marginal once again (32/33). this time it is not happening in the middle of the day...and it's at night...just enough solar radiation,  even during cloudy winter days , in marginal temp situation always seem to be a factor

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mimillman said:

A couple more from what is so far a spectacular event. That’s the Aon center in the background of the first picture. Wild to have this in the Loop

A6961ED2-0463-4909-B290-5A2E61DD0A1E.jpeg

A620E928-438D-4466-BC7E-3D11C07B1225.jpeg

Yeah that looks pretty decent for downtown with more to come.  The deck is always stacked against getting noteworthy ice there, but deeper into winter is probably a more favored time than, say, December.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah that looks pretty decent for downtown with more to come.  The deck is always stacked against getting noteworthy ice there, but deeper into winter is probably a more favored time than, say, December.

As mentioned previously, the lack of diurnal influence is making this event what it is. Also I think nighttime events dampen the strong UHI you would typically see in these marginal BL set ups. 

Not to mention, the lake is frozen near the shore which is a huge plus

We got lucky a couple weeks ago.  We got .25 to .3 with some strong winds right on the tail.  Fortunately those winds only lasted an hour or less.  I sincerely hope, with some of the modeled accretion rates, y'all don't get hammered.  It's one thing to get paralyzed by a 20 inch 50 mph blizzard but a .5 to 1.0 inch ice storm with 30-40 mph winds really sucks. 

22 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

side walks skating rinks here....tress have a notice coating...car 50% ice 50% liquid

the difference between this event and the other ice event is that even though temps are marginal once again (32/33). this time it is not happening in the middle of the day...and it's at night...just enough solar radiation,  even during cloudy winter days , in marginal temp situation always seem to be a factor

Yea when this started this afternoon nothing was icing but as soon as it got dark all bets were off. Good glaze on everything here. I bet we are in the .1-.2in range. The lighter rates with this proved for better accretion to. It has picked up in intensity now. Not sure if it is rain now or still freezing rain. My wx station has been holding at 32/31 all night. Hasn't been showing anything in my guage here so leading me to believe it is still icing

Been holding at 31 for the past 2-3hrs.  Pure freezing rain continues.  Some models gave us more sleet than freezing rain, so there were multiple layers of fail depending on which model you used.  The sleet and snow from earlier has now glaciated into a solid sheet of ice that will be very difficult to remove off the driveway and sidewalks.