Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

On 8/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, StormSurge said:

I hope you do better than I did on Tuesday. Went in with a positive attitude & walked off vowing to not spend another forking dime on this damn game the rest of the year (after my lesson on Saturday of course).

I’ve had some awful years when I was playing more (spending more) before I had kids. Frustrating, especially if you’re super competitive with yourself. It’s a benefit to take a break, regroup. During breaks...I’ll watch more videos especially over winter and just work on body and weight shift movements in the mirror. We tend to forgot the hands and club are the last piece of the puzzle, not the first. Once I understood that, even during poor stretches, I improved and could bounce back quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ve had some awful years when I was playing more (spending more) before I had kids. Frustrating, especially if you’re super competitive with yourself. It’s a benefit to take a break, regroup. During breaks...I’ll watch more videos especially over winter and just work on body and weight shift movements in the mirror. We tend to forgot the hands and club are the last piece of the puzzle, not the first. Once I understood that, even during poor stretches, I improved and could bounce back quicker. 

Thanks.  

I’m extremely hard on myself & competitive. The inconsistency just kills me. 

That said, I had a great lesson today & I’m planning on spending a lot of time at the range tomorrow. Simple stuff to work on that will hopefully fix a lot of my issues. 

I took 2.5 weeks off from playing while on vacation in Germany.  Came back and it felt like I had never played golf before.  I shot my highest score for 9 holes in over 10 years.  I think I've started getting some semblance of a game back but I'm almost afraid to tee it up. :(

Yea...my round yesterday, yikes. Sometimes I feel like I regress. 43 on front which is pretty good considering a slope 147, but the back just a complete meltdown until I rescued myself on 17 and 18. I dunno, just haven’t played enough nor practiced last two seasons esp this year to get going. 

Down for a gtg. The Ranch would be a good spot as someone mentioned but maybe better off next spring?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Group of us usually go to the cape 3rd week of sept. This year stayed at a friends beach house in weakapaug and played SWRI and SECT courses. Played 36 Richmond CC Friday , 36 @ foxhopyard in east haddam on sat and finished 18lake of isles on Sunday. Never played foxhopyard, man what a layout. Wish I took some pics of 3, we played the blues so played that from the back tees. Beautiful. Great course but their greens are in tough shape. Head pro said the are shutting down front (?) nine to work on them. Hope thy figure it out. Even though it’s pricey , if they fix their greens worth a play.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten out twice since buying a house end of July.  Once down the Cape at https://bluerockgolfcourse.com/, where I shot 56 (par 3 course).  And once at a local course, http://www.greenmeadowgolfclub.com/, where I shot 74 (par 70) and +1 on a 3rd 9 holes.  Irons and putting saved me.  Zero touch when I missed a green.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread for the President’s Cup. Currently the US is getting whacked around by the Internationals. Not sure what to make of it. I don’t think Tiger made bad captain’s picks and he’s played  well. They’re just getting it taken to them. I love the course though. I’ve watched the Australian Open a couple of times and love Royal Melbourne as a course. Playing those Sandbelt courses someday is definitely a bucket list item for me. 

57 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Resurrecting this thread for the President’s Cup. Currently the US is getting whacked around by the Internationals. Not sure what to make of it. I don’t think Tiger made bad captain’s picks and he’s played  well. They’re just getting it taken to them. I love the course though. I’ve watched the Australian Open a couple of times and love Royal Melbourne as a course. Playing those Sandbelt courses someday is definitely a bucket list item for me. 

I like a nice sand lined course, it looks sharper to my eye than rough lined. That's not to say I play any better on them.

Speaking of my play, I'll be in the simulator league again this winter. We'll see if that gives me a jump start on the spring swing.

Looks like I spoke a bit soon. The US made a little bit of a comeback towards the end and are 6.5-3.5, which is the same 3 points they were down at the end of day 1. However at one point in the back 9 it looked like they could have lost all 5 points today. The most interesting President’s Cup in years. 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I like a nice sand lined course, it looks sharper to my eye than rough lined. That's not to say I play any better on them.

Speaking of my play, I'll be in the simulator league again this winter. We'll see if that gives me a jump start on the spring swing.

Royal Melbourne is an Alistair McKenzie course and is truly one of the gems of the golf world. It seems to be playing brutally hard and fast this week. 

I wish o had a simulator close by to play in over the winter. The closest one to me is up in BTV and it’s pretty busy most of the time. I have a mental block with those things anyway. I play crappily enough as it is and the mats and screen just seem to enhance my crappiness. 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Royal Melbourne is an Alistair McKenzie course and is truly one of the gems of the golf world. It seems to be playing brutally hard and fast this week. 

I wish o had a simulator close by to play in over the winter. The closest one to me is up in BTV and it’s pretty busy most of the time. I have a mental block with those things anyway. I play crappily enough as it is and the mats and screen just seem to enhance my crappiness. 

I have two within 15 minutes of home!

Does nothing for my putting game, but just to swing the club 1000 times over a winter is enough to keep my from losing muscle memory I hope.

My biggest issue last year was not giving my partner enough of a hanidcap. He was a beginner and played like a 40-50 handicap easily. We gave him a 25 :o

• 1 month later...

We're on to spring.

Just found out I'm booked for two nights at Dismal River in Nebraska early June. Not only does golf (and lodging/food) look amazing, but it's prime upslope thunderstorm season and should almost guarantee me some beefy storms rolling off the Sand Hills. 

At least I won't be able to find the trees out there!

I’m about to go back into full golf mode. I have been doing weight training and swinging my “momentus”(love that freakin thing, it has done wonders for my game) If this winter isn’t gonna let us out, I’m gonna use this POS to get an edge for the upcoming season. Start to book some times and get out as much as possible for the remainder of the winter(I’ve already played twice in the heart of New England meteorological winter, unreal)as long as we stay in this pattern.

You’d be surprised. I’ve been working golf courses for the last 20 yrs during the educational off season. During a wet winter/early spring, the roots of the turf remain quite shallow and become “comfortable”. If you get a torched period in late April/early May when the turf is trying to establish itself you’ll end up with cooked turf that struggles to recover, if at all. When it’s a relatively dry ,not drought conditions, but not overly wet, the root system diggs deeper to go find the water. This results in a healthier, drought & disease resistant turf when the heat and stronger sun comes.