Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

On 7/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, mreaves said:

I think Rahm has a good shot. I think the pressure will be too much for Rory. The sentimental favorite has to be Graeme McDowell. I’ve always liked him and am glad he got into this one in his home town. I think Justin Rose might come through this time though. 

I like Rose. Rahm won on the euro tour last week with a 4 shot shot deficit going into the final round. I think he’s turning the corner on his mental game. Still don’t think it’s enough to win it this week but I was getting great odds for a top 10 players. I’m liking Fleetwood this week more and more. 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Will the weather be able to stop Lowry tomorrow?

I missed most of his round :(  We took off for Mt. Washington just before noon and he hadn’t hit the back nine. I listened to quite a bit on satellite radio but missed the really hot stretch. Hoping to catch some tonight. I’m rooting for him. I’ve liked him since hit near miss at Oakmont a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Impressive no doubt. Just not a good final round for fans. Brutal weather and a no brainer victory. 

My big takeaway was that I am nowhere near ready for a British Isles trip. So much chipping and pitching. I have the chips, but between that and a full wedge I'm a hot mess. 

I think my swing overall is too long, and so it's hard to hit a half wedge. But my nightmare is a 50 yard pitch. 

Did you guys see the Sergio video of him throwing his driver at his caddy during the Open? Another reason why I can’t stand that tool. From the “eating a bucket of fried chicken” comment about Tiger to milking his Master’s victory a full year later as if he is a dominant player. Dude has missed every cut at a Major since then lol. What a baby biatch.

19 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

My big takeaway was that I am nowhere near ready for a British Isles trip. So much chipping and pitching. I have the chips, but between that and a full wedge I'm a hot mess. 

I think my swing overall is too long, and so it's hard to hit a half wedge. But my nightmare is a 50 yard pitch. 

I have a 60 degree wedge for the 50-70 yard shots but it’s obv a high trajectory. The soft pitches at those distances with a PW...not easy, agree.

I just bought a new set of irons (Titleist AP1s) & a Vokey 56 degree wedge. Still trying to figure that out but it's been a life-saver on my 100 yard par 3 at the home course.

Agreed about The Open as well. It's usually my favorite major to watch but seeing the sun shining on Sunday with a drama-free round just didn't hold my attention. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have a 60 degree wedge for the 50-70 yard shots but it’s obv a high trajectory. The soft pitches at those distances with a PW...not easy, agree.

1 hour ago, StormSurge said:

I just bought a new set of irons (Titleist AP1s) & a Vokey 56 degree wedge. Still trying to figure that out but it's been a life-saver on my 100 yard par 3 at the home course.

Agreed about The Open as well. It's usually my favorite major to watch but seeing the sun shining on Sunday with a drama-free round just didn't hold my attention. 

Ever since my dad played a tourney that gave away a wedge (Vokey 52) and skulled everything with it and gifted it to me I have been a Vokey convert. I have a 52/56/60.

My problem is the stock distances are something like 120/110/100 and I just can't seem to dial it back enough on the shorter shorts. I rarely come up short on the partial wedges. 

First day of our club championship today. Was playing ok until the last 3 holes. Doubled 16 when I sliced my drive OB. Almost landed in a top down convertible BMW that was driving by. Hit my tee shot just short of the green on the par 3 17th. Pitched on and had a straight, flat 8 foot putt for par. Missed that and had a 3 footer for bogey. Missed that and had an 10” putt for double, was so pissed at that I slammed the putt hard, hit the flagstick and ricocheted out 2 feet, missed that putt too. Ended taking a 5 putt 7 on a par 3. I was steaming on the 18th tee and promptly sliced two into the trees. Found the second and ended up taking an 8.  Being an ass, like I was on 17, never helps your golf game. I guess I won’t have any pressure on me in the second round tomorrow. :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2019 at 3:22 PM, OceanStWx said:

Ever since my dad played a tourney that gave away a wedge (Vokey 52) and skulled everything with it and gifted it to me I have been a Vokey convert. I have a 52/56/60.

My problem is the stock distances are something like 120/110/100 and I just can't seem to dial it back enough on the shorter shorts. I rarely come up short on the partial wedges. 

60 degrees - 100 yards thats a long way. One thing you can do is open the face a little , get mor loft and you can take roughly the same swing. Other method is to practice taking partial swings and flight the ball low , two hops skid and stop. Effective way to get it close on those short shots. 

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

My 60 degree wedge is 60 yards and in. 56 degree 60-100 yards and 52 degree from 90-110 or so   

Same, when I had a 60in my bag used it as a lob wedge Mostly yards and in, changed to a 58degree with k grind . I  changed because I had a tendency to hit the 60 to high on the face and consistently came up short...

On 7/28/2019 at 7:27 AM, S&P said:

60 degrees - 100 yards thats a long way. One thing you can do is open the face a little , get mor loft and you can take roughly the same swing. Other method is to practice taking partial swings and flight the ball low , two hops skid and stop. Effective way to get it close on those short shots. 

What I really need to do is just a wedge session on the range. A big problem is I have no idea what my stock distances are with partial and open faced shots, and clearly "just feeling it" with some practice swings isn't working.

I definitely have some issues with swing length through. So while I think I'm swinging to my shoulder, the reality is that I'm more likely swinging full.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:29 AM, OceanStWx said:

What I really need to do is just a wedge session on the range. A big problem is I have no idea what my stock distances are with partial and open faced shots, and clearly "just feeling it" with some practice swings isn't working.

I definitely have some issues with swing length through. So while I think I'm swinging to my shoulder, the reality is that I'm more likely swinging full.

Good idea

what I would suggest is make sure they have trackman set up ,can really dial everything in . Some screen caps of a session last winter

797102AF-3A43-4D3B-913C-B4F369EE177A.thumb.png.a88c817428e1b19e7a48ef1c421505e6.pngttE3217332-0EC6-4BAF-9AFD-65E4A0A98CA4.thumb.png.e079129b5fa22521a5b56fe4f0aaed85.pngD927DC83-0AFB-43E8-8352-324FA62758E1.thumb.png.478b3c8a2c60c87751441c1713addb15.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Playing Pound Ridge this Sunday. Anyone in the area knows how hard this Pete Dye course is, especially for a 12 HC...I’ll have my hands full. Haven’t played much this season with a newborn so I’m going in with zero expectations. Pray.

I hope you do better than I did on Tuesday. Went in with a positive attitude & walked off vowing to not spend another forking dime on this damn game the rest of the year (after my lesson on Saturday of course).