• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

I’ve always liked Koepka. I liked the fact that he and Peter Uhlein decided to go the European route instead of the standard Q-school route. I remember watching him win over there and thinking he could be great. Got a little ticklish towards the end today though. 

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

Oooo a golf thread.

Three rounds at Dennis Highlands scheduled for this weekend. Shot a brutal 100 first time out this year.

First round dude and being out there is good enough. Should be better this weekend.

I’m playing my first full 18 tomorrow. Relatively flat course but my sales president is fading me breaking 80. Shot 84 there last year. I think I can do it but one or two bad holes which I am always susceptible of will kill it. 

I'm still baffled by my return to golf after keeping my kid alive for his first year. Short game is on point, putter feels great, chipping in from greenside. Approach and tee shots are garbage. A real liability. 

Signs of life this past week though. Had 3 shots in the round from 115, usually my gap wedge distance. Carried all three at least 130, and not because of a skulled shot either. All solid strikes. 

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm still baffled by my return to golf after keeping my kid alive for his first year. Short game is on point, putter feels great, chipping in from greenside. Approach and tee shots are garbage. A real liability. 

Signs of life this past week though. Had 3 shots in the round from 115, usually my gap wedge distance. Carried all three at least 130, and not because of a skulled shot either. All solid strikes. 

Same issue here in the 115 range. Flushed several gap wedges and overshot the green each time....and because I have subpar long distance vision I was always surprised walking up the green it wasn’t on. Now I know to hit the 54 degree wedge next time and push the gap to 130-135. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking for to the US Open this year.  Just wish these pampered professionals would quit whining about the USGA and the golf course set up (see: Phil, Rory, Tiger, etc).  Like shut up.  You show up to the course, warm up, get a massage, have lunch, talk to your therapist, warm up again, and play golf with clubs perfectly tuned to your swing that someone else carries for you.

Try strolling up to the local muni track 5 mins before tee time, chug 2 beers and go like the rest of us.  Then let's see how they do.

Brooks Keopka's comments yesterday really made me like him. Something to the effect of: "Those guys are complaining because they didn't play well."

29 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Really looking for to the US Open this year.  Just wish these pampered professionals would quit whining about the USGA and the golf course set up (see: Phil, Rory, Tiger, etc).  Like shut up.  You show up to the course, warm up, get a massage, have lunch, talk to your therapist, warm up again, and play golf with clubs perfectly tuned to your swing that someone else carries for you.

Try strolling up to the local muni track 5 mins before tee time, chug 2 beers and go like the rest of us.  Then let's see how they do.

Brooks Keopka's comments yesterday really made me like him. Something to the effect of: "Those guys are complaining because they didn't play well."

Brooks mental game gives him an edge against most if not everyone in the field on a weekly basis. Dude makes no excuses and takes it all on him. Tiger used to. No one else I’ve seen interviewed has Brooks mental makeup. DJ should take note.

Some guys bitch and complain but somehow fail to realize everyone else is playing the same track. Hit fairways and GIR, pretty simple. You’re the best in the world, man up.

On a side note, I lost any support/backing for Kuchar after that debacle of bitch session at the Memorial. 

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Brooks mental game gives him an edge against most if not everyone in the field on a weekly basis. Dude makes no excuses and takes it all on him. Tiger used to. No one else I’ve seen interviewed has Brooks mental makeup. DJ should take note.

Some guys bitch and complain but somehow fail to realize everyone else is playing the same track. Hit fairways and GIR, pretty simple. You’re the best in the world, man up.

On a side note, I lost any support/backing for Kuchar after that debacle of bitch session at the Memorial. 

I mean they all play the same course right? I don't particularly care if the winner is +10 or -10, but the guy who plays the best golf over 72 holes will win it. 

And you know what, I bitch and moan when my course doesn't mow or rake the bunkers well enough, or sticks the pin on a ridge. I enjoy seeing pros complain too. Maybe the should try making birdie from a soggy fairway and a green where the grass died in March from ice cover. 

I like the US Open around even par but as long as it’s a fair test. Give me deep rough and small greens like Pebble is shaping up to. I want guys who will be penalized for bad drives and approach shots. This idea that bad drivers (Tiger, Phil) can’t make magic happen from awful tee shots and therefore it’s a unfair test is bogus. Drive it straight. Sorry your big stick sucks but you don’t deserve to hoist the trophy. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The whining, complaining thing is one of the reasons I don't like Bubba.  

In my opinion, my ideal US Open winning score is even par.  If you shoot 72 four days in a row, your name should be near top of leader board.  The player with the best combination of GIR and putting should win the golf tournament.  

However, for the British Open, I want creativity.  I'll never forget a shot Vijay played years ago (can't remember how long ago).  From say 50 yards from the pin, he purposefully played 30 yards left of hole and off green into a series of undulations that propelled the ball right to the hole. 

55 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

In my opinion, my ideal US Open winning score is even par.  If you shoot 72 four days in a row, your name should be near top of leader board.  The player with the best combination of GIR and putting should win the golf tournament.  

However, for the British Open, I want creativity.  I'll never forget a shot Vijay played years ago (can't remember how long ago).  From say 50 yards from the pin, he purposefully played 30 yards left of hole and off green into a series of undulations that propelled the ball right to the hole. 

I like that the Majors each have a different personality.  The Masters is special because its the first of the year and can provide great risk/reward situations.  The US Open is hard, sometimes bordering on unfair.  I like to see the difficult set-ups that demand such intense focus and concentration.  Having said that, the USGA goes overboard at times and can't seem to get out of their own way with some of the decisions they make.  The British Open might be my favorite.  It requires imagination and creativity.  I like the fact that the R&A doesn't trick up the golf course and lets nature take it's course.  If conditions allow for a low scoring birdie fest, then so be it.  If there are strong winds and rain that make par hard to achieve, well, that's fine too.  As for the PGA, to me, it has the least amount of character of the 4.  I am glad that it has been moved to May and hope it can really start to develop a personality of it's own.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Koepka faded at the end. A tick better and the pressure would of been on Woodland but instead....he was able to play more freely 16-18 after being nerved 11-15 when Koepka was charging. Rose was a let down, terrible iron play. Nevertheless, a good open where the usga was not a factor for once. 

Hard to eff up Pebble. 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s Open Championship week. Royal Portrush looks like it will be fun. This may be my favorite major. I love the look and feel of links golf and the fact that it’s on before I go to work means I get to watch more than the others. I love the fact that the R&A doesn’t trick up the courses. If conditions allow for low scoring then so be it. If the field struggles to break par that’s fine too. 

Tip for anyone in MA - Shaker Hills is back to its old glory and they are often running deals to try to get people back in. If you played there within the last few years and were put off by the course conditions, make sure to schedule a visit out there this year. The place is in near pristine condition, like it used to be a decade ago. 

One warning. It’s very difficult. I’m about a 5 index and I can’t break 80 from the middle tees. Recent course modifications have really made it a demanding track. 

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

It’s Open Championship week. Royal Portrush looks like it will be fun. This may be my favorite major. I love the look and feel of links golf and the fact that it’s on before I go to work means I get to watch more than the others. I love the fact that the R&A doesn’t trick up the courses. If conditions allow for low scoring then so be it. If the field struggles to break par that’s fine too. 

I like all majors, pga the least though. Open can be boring sometimes...not sure why. This course will be a tough test. I have Rahm winning it.

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I like all majors, pga the least though. Open can be boring sometimes...not sure why. This course will be a tough test. I have Rahm winning it.

I think Rahm has a good shot. I think the pressure will be too much for Rory. The sentimental favorite has to be Graeme McDowell. I’ve always liked him and am glad he got into this one in his home town. I think Justin Rose might come through this time though. 

• Like 1