Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

On 2/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, mreaves said:

Nice. I wish I had the motivation to practice more.  Truthfully though, since I became president of my small, non-profit, member owned course, my golf desire has been slowly squeezed out my soul :(

Is this course open for public play? I love playing small, out of the way courses and I'm up that way 2 or 3 times a season.

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just tuned in to watch Pebble Beach. Graupel storms moved through earlier. Greens covered and the sunny 15 minutes later. They just called them off the course again. 

I never understood why they hold that tournament at this time of year. It can be rotten in the middle of the summer right on the water there but in February?

What's up guys. I've been playing since I was 7 so, 45 years. I still hit a mean drive, unfortunately it doesn't go where I think it's going to go often enough. Every now and then like about 5 years ago on sun baked hardpan I put one out at 335 and it rolled to within 6 feet of the pin. One putt and it's the only eagle I've ever had. Well, the only one that counted. I had one on frozen ground back in high school and the ball just kept rolling like it was on a highway and rolled onto the green ~ 500 yards out. It was February so there was no hole or pin so we just chose a spot and when I putted the ball rolled over it. We also used to keep a ball in an inside pocket so for every shot, we'd pull it out and swap with the cold ball so we weren't always hitting frozen balls ;) which was nicer on our hands.

28 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Is this course open for public play? I love playing small, out of the way courses and I'm up that way 2 or 3 times a season.

I never understood why they hold that tournament at this time of year. It can be rotten in the middle of the summer right on the water there but in February?

What's up guys. I've been playing since I was 7 so, 45 years. I still hit a mean drive, unfortunately it doesn't go where I think it's going to go often enough. Every now and then like about 5 years ago on sun baked hardpan I put one out at 335 and it rolled to within 6 feet of the pin. One putt and it's the only eagle I've ever had. Well, the only one that counted. I had one on frozen ground back in high school and the ball just kept rolling like it was on a highway and rolled onto the green ~ 500 yards out. It was February so there was no hole or pin so we just chose a spot and when I putted the ball rolled over it. We also used to keep a ball in an inside pocket so for every shot, we'd pull it out and swap with the cold ball so we weren't always hitting frozen balls ;) which was nicer on our hands.

Yes, we are open for public play.  We are located just south of Norwich University and just over the mountain from Sugarbush 

http://www.northfieldcountryclub.com/

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

I've never played real golf, only pitch and putt. I'm scared to try real golf for fear of looking like a dweeb. I even own a set of clubs I haven't used. Is it hard?

Course dependent but yes, in general, it’s hard. I know it’s boring to beginners but I’d recommend the range only for the first 50,000 shots (if that takes you one summer or lomger) mixed in with some lessons or youtube videos if you don’t want to spend the money. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yes, we are open for public play.  We are located just south of Norwich University and just over the mountain from Sugarbush 

http://www.northfieldcountryclub.com/

Looks like a great course and the price is surely right. I guess I need to bring my clubs and schedule 4-5 hours out of a work day some time this year.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

I've never played real golf, only pitch and putt. I'm scared to try real golf for fear of looking like a dweeb. I even own a set of clubs I haven't used. Is it hard?

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Course dependent but yes, in general, it’s hard. I know it’s boring to beginners but I’d recommend the range only for the first 50,000 shots (if that takes you one summer or lomger) mixed in with some lessons or youtube videos if you don’t want to spend the money. 

If I had to do it all over again, I would check my ego. I picked up clubs and headed right for the tees with everyone else. I spent so many years slicing off the tee that I started fearing playing golf altogether. Took a long time to get over that. 

When I moved to Iowa for my first NWS job (2008) I dedicated myself to trying to improve. Bought my first real set of clubs, started watching the Golf Channel self-help shows, hit the range a couple times a week. I broke 50 for the first time in 2010 (shot a 46) on the little 9 hole course just north of the office, Rustic Ridge. 7 years later I got my handicap index down to 9.7. 

Someday I'll tell my son how he blew that up. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, OceanStWx said:

If I had to do it all over again, I would check my ego. I picked up clubs and headed right for the tees with everyone else. I spent so many years slicing off the tee that I started fearing playing golf altogether. Took a long time to get over that. 

When I moved to Iowa for my first NWS job (2008) I dedicated myself to trying to improve. Bought my first real set of clubs, started watching the Golf Channel self-help shows, hit the range a couple times a week. I broke 50 for the first time in 2010 (shot a 46) on the little 9 hole course just north of the office, Rustic Ridge. 7 years later I got my handicap index down to 9.7. 

Well done getting the handi down. Some early years I felt like I would never get this game down but then, when I put in the time and check my ego as well....hit the range only, watch videos, etc. I have improved last 3 years. I haven’t officially done my handi but my new app tracks my scores, It has me at 12 after 38 rounds. Not sure how accurate it is though. But basically on good days I can get into the low 80s and those awful days where I can’t get all phases working like this winter, I push 90. I did make some big improvements with my body movement at the range in the fall, but haven’t played a round yet....hoping I see the results in the spring. Can’t come soon enough.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, OceanStWx said:

In 2003, the summer before my son was born, I cut 5 strokes of my handicap, went from a 20 to a 15.  I practiced and played regularly and worked on stuff.  During the summer of 2004, it went back up to an 18.  In the ensuing 15 years I have managed to whittle of a stroke here and there and got myself down to a 13.  Of course this is almost completely based on playing at my home course.  I seem to collapse completely when I play away from home :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

4 straight birdies for Tiger

Good for the game when the young studs fight off a legend (whether you like him or not). He will win at least one more major, health permitting. Finau is my guy, though, he won me heeps of money last season but his quick swing makes me cringe at times. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Good for the game when the young studs fight off a legend (whether you like him or not). He will win at least one more major, health permitting. Finau is my guy, though, he won me heeps of money last season but his quick swing makes me cringe at times. 

I’ve always been more of a Tiger guy than a Phil guy and think things are much more interesting when he’s in the mix. Ernie was really my guy in his prime though. Love watching his swing still. As far as the young guys, I’m with you on Finau. He’s just got to figure out how to close the deal. I’ve liked Koepka too, ever since he decided to start out on the European Tour. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I’ve always been more of a Tiger guy than a Phil guy and think things are much more interesting when he’s in the mix. Ernie was really my guy in his prime though. Love watching his swing still. As far as the young guys, I’m with you on Finau. He’s just got to figure out how to close the deal. I’ve liked Koepka too, ever since he decided to start out on the European Tour. 

Koepka is an athletic football player playing golf, sky’s the limit there. I like watching anyone really, so many young guys are capable of playing out of their minds. 

The sport is in great shape and good for the youth. I hope my kids take interest when they are ready. 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:07 AM, mreaves said:

In 2003, the summer before my son was born, I cut 5 strokes of my handicap, went from a 20 to a 15.  I practiced and played regularly and worked on stuff.  During the summer of 2004, it went back up to an 18.  In the ensuing 15 years I have managed to whittle of a stroke here and there and got myself down to a 13.  Of course this is almost completely based on playing at my home course.  I seem to collapse completely when I play away from home :(

The home course advantage sure helps, but I have been able to shoot in the 70s away from Spring Meadows, and I'm particularly proud of a 39 on the front 9 at Belgrade Lakes. It physically pained me to walk away from that one after 9, but it was my wife's bridal shower and we couldn't be late. :weep:

My favorite round was a quick 9 holes I played after a mid at Spring Meadows. Shot a 36 (+1)  with two birdies, and only 10 putts. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

The home course advantage sure helps, but I have been able to shoot in the 70s away from Spring Meadows, and I'm particularly proud of a 39 on the front 9 at Belgrade Lakes. It physically pained me to walk away from that one after 9, but it was my wife's bridal shower and we couldn't be late:weep:

My favorite round was a quick 9 holes I played after a mid at Spring Meadows. Shot a 36 (+1)  with two birdies, and only 10 putts. 

This is why men don’t attend bridal showers. She ruined a memorable 18 for you. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Better than the blue balls this winter has left us with.

I miss golf,lived on the back nine of Richmond Country Club RI, used to hop on the 11th and play all the way back to 11 and walk home. I actually lived within a couple of miles of 3 good courses and 1 par 3. Got pretty good, low 80s. Best course I ever played was the Misquamicut Club. The view from the 10th tee is unreal. 

16A912A2-B6AA-46A7-9CDC-0968D16E860F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice final round. Rahm and Fleetwood choked. Furyk missing the easy 3ft par on 15 eventually costs him a playoff. Rory not spectacular but played aggressive all day...which I always love from a golfer. His drive and approach on 18 was clutch. 

Love the new schedule btw. Big tournaments early. 

I don’t look at Fleetwood as choking as much is not executing the shot on 17. He knew what he had to do and took aim at the flag. If he hit it one yard more, he has a much better chance at winning. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. 

The new schedule is great, a big tournament every month through August. I think the PGA in May is going to click and develop a character of its own and I like the Ooen Championship being the final major of the year. No competing with college football or the NFL either. 

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

I don’t look at Fleetwood as choking as much is not executing the shot on 17. He knew what he had to do and took aim at the flag. If he hit it one yard more, he has a much better chance at winning. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. 

The new schedule is great, a big tournament every month through August. I think the PGA in May is going to click and develop a character of its own and I like the Ooen Championship being the final major of the year. No competing with college football or the NFL either. 

The choke was the first 16 holes. He couldn’t get anything going all day. For being the ‘best ball striker’, he was way off. Of course then you have to attack 17 but a little too late....he lost the tourney already. Same with Rahm but I like Fleetwood’s mental makeup better. 

I'm with Ginx.  I miss playing golf.  When I got married, had a kid, got sick, and lastly the economy tanking, it ended any golfing.  I have a 20+ year old set of King Kobra Irons in the Basement along with a Taylor Made Driver / 3wd and a Tight Lies Fairway wood.  I'm sure the grips are toast.

Love this thread. Last year was the best golf season of my life. Got my handicap down to a 3. Shot even par for the first (i make a lot of pars, not enough birdies). 

Golf shop near me just put in two of those trackman machines. I was over there the other day, thinking about tinkering with the length of a few of my clubs, and the guy put me in the trackman bay. My 7 iron ball speed averaged 127.8 mph. Apparently that's quite a bit faster than the average tour pro: https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Only problem is my that my spin rate was like 1500 rpms higher. So definitely need to find a lower spinning ball.

4 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Love this thread. Last year was the best golf season of my life. Got my handicap down to a 3. Shot even par for the first (i make a lot of pars, not enough birdies). 

Golf shop near me just put in two of those trackman machines. I was over there the other day, thinking about tinkering with the length of a few of my clubs, and the guy put me in the trackman bay. My 7 iron ball speed averaged 127.8 mph. Apparently that's quite a bit faster than the average tour pro: https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Only problem is my that my spin rate was like 1500 rpms higher. So definitely need to find a lower spinning ball.

The next step in my game is to Get fitted for clubs. Just haven’t had the time or willingness to pull the trigger on a couple hundo for irons. 

Pretty impressive handi there. Congrats. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paid for my membership today at my local 9 hole track. While Crump is far nicer and much closer, I cannot justify the cost.  I've tried (It's basically across the street, there would be zero gas costs...).

They're hoping to open up on Saturday provided things dry out.

So I haven't decided.  Ski on Saturday, or play golf?

23 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Paid for my membership today at my local 9 hole track. While Crump is far nicer and much closer, I cannot justify the cost.  I've tried (It's basically across the street, there would be zero gas costs...).

They're hoping to open up on Saturday provided things dry out.

So I haven't decided.  Ski on Saturday, or play golf?

Why choose. Half day lift ticket and hit 9 holes on the way home. ;)