• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

I haven’t seen something like this around here so I’ll start one up. If it’s been done before without success, we try again. If someone else owns the rights like the lawn thread, lick deez golf balls. 

This thread is for all golfers, any gender, no matter your level. We can discuss this beautiful game, brag or cringe about our scores, show pictures of the putter we just threw into the pond, and everything else this game is about.

Also, I always play solo so maybe this thread can be a good way for the occassional small gtg for a round...or if you’re just looking for a playing partner. Whatever. Have at it. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I haven’t seen something like this around here so I’ll start one up. If it’s been done before without success, we try again. If someone else owns the rights like the lawn thread, lick deez golf balls. 

This thread is for all golfers, any gender, no matter your level. We can discuss this beautiful game, brag or cringe about our scores, show pictures of the putter we just threw into the pond, and everything else this game is about.

Also, I always play solo so maybe this thread can be a good way for the occassional small gtg for a round...or if you’re just looking for a playing partner. Whatever. Have at it. 

There is usually one in the Sports forum but I'm fine with it here as long as the mods don't mind.

It’s always golf season! an indoor golf opened up in town. Dude had 4 bays each with a track man 4. IMO the best coaching tool, breaks the swing down into meaningful numbers. This a a screen shot of my last session. Each with a video of my swing for that shot. So yeah getting swings in year round ...

B062D1F7-0859-4C04-B75B-F21F76857BE6.thumb.png.20485b4bb000696aafe6d9057e0d07d8.png

1 hour ago, S&P said:

It’s always golf season! an indoor golf opened up in town. Dude had 4 bays each with a track man 4. IMO the best coaching tool, breaks the swing down into meaningful numbers. This a a screen shot of my last session. Each with a video of my swing for that shot. So yeah getting swings in year round ...

B062D1F7-0859-4C04-B75B-F21F76857BE6.thumb.png.20485b4bb000696aafe6d9057e0d07d8.png

Nice. I wish I had the motivation to practice more.  Truthfully though, since I became president of my small, non-profit, member owned course, my golf desire has been slowly squeezed out my soul :(

11 hours ago, S&P said:

Nice man. Keep plugging away.

17 hours ago, S&P said:

Got a couple indoor simulator locations in the PWM area now which I love. They use the same tech as the Golf Channel, so it's a pretty realistic experience (if you drop the gimmes down to 3 ft or less). 

Trying to get that club speed into the low 100s more frequently. Actually joined a league this winter, which is slowly bringing my game back after the kid destroyed my handicap.

Any golf weenies in here ever read up on strokes gained? My wife got me Every Shot Counts years ago and cover to cover was a fascinating book about how to look at advanced golf statistics.

I even found an Excel spreadsheet to track my own strokes gained vs. a scratch golfer. Basically I lose the majority of my strokes from approach shots (mostly approaches from the fairway believe it or not). I always thought that I would lower my scores if I focused on short game, because that's the conventional advice. Turns out it's my long game that sucks, too many penalty strokes, poor tee shots, and chunky irons. 

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Any golf weenies in here ever read up on strokes gained? My wife got me Every Shot Counts years ago and cover to cover was a fascinating book about how to look at advanced golf statistics.

I even found an Excel spreadsheet to track my own strokes gained vs. a scratch golfer. Basically I lose the majority of my strokes from approach shots (mostly approaches from the fairway believe it or not). I always thought that I would lower my scores if I focused on short game, because that's the conventional advice. Turns out it's my long game that sucks, too many penalty strokes, poor tee shots, and chunky irons. 

I have and agree. Obviously short game is vital but if you can’t get off the tee, you get yourself in trouble early....then the rest doesn’t matter. You’ll be six shots to the green and by then, you’re too frustrated to even concentrate on it. 

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have and agree. Obviously short game is vital but if you can’t get off the tee, you get yourself in trouble early....then the rest doesn’t matter. You’ll be six shots to the green and by then, you’re too frustrated to even concentrate on it. 

Even the pros are 50/50 at like 10 ft. So pretty much everyone is 2 putting anyway.

The key is getting closer to the hole. And to get close to the hole you have to hit it farther (with all your clubs).

My game really changed when I increased my distance by 20 yards or so through the bag. 

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

You said we could brag right? Okemo, late last summer. I was that close...

I've come that close as well. 4th hole Falmouth (ME) CC from 165. Pin right center, right at the bottom of a ridge. I hit the top of the ridge and gravity worked in my favor. After hanging on the edge of the slope it started to wobble and trickle back down. It always stayed just outside the hole, but settled 6 inches away.

I had another at Spring Meadows in Gray, 16th hole about 110. I threw my gap wedge at the center of the green. I normally hit that around 115, so I played it back and tried to drive one in with some zip on it. I surprised myself when it spun back 10 yards, just missing hitting the flag stick on the way by.

So that makes my longest hole out 85 yards (for eagle), but it was a scramble so I feel like it only half counts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I've come that close as well. 4th hole Falmouth (ME) CC from 165. Pin right center, right at the bottom of a ridge. I hit the top of the ridge and gravity worked in my favor. After hanging on the edge of the slope it started to wobble and trickle back down. It always stayed just outside the hole, but settled 6 inches away.

I had another at Spring Meadows in Gray, 16th hole about 110. I threw my gap wedge at the center of the green. I normally hit that around 115, so I played it back and tried to drive one in with some zip on it. I surprised myself when it spun back 10 yards, just missing hitting the flag stick on the way by.

So that makes my longest hole out 85 yards (for eagle), but it was a scramble so I feel like it only half counts.

I've had one hole-in-one and it was almost entirely luck. About hundred and 40 yards , massively sloped green , went long and it rolled back. Weird thing was my luck continued for the next few weeks . Holed out for eagle twice from at least 150 yards . And that was pretty much the end of it :)

17 minutes ago, kdxken said:

A lot nice golf course is up near Portland . Ever play Foxridge ? Love it . 

I've done Fox Ridge once before. Spring Meadows was the course I joined because it was close to work. Nonesuch River was always my preferred course in Portland (vicinity). And Belgrade Lakes is close to my in-laws and probably my other most frequently played course up here.

I’ve had one ace. I think the tees were at 135-140 yards. I wasn’t playing particularly well and this shot was no exception. I skulled it and if the ball hadn’t hit the flag stick and dropped straight down into the hole, who knows how far over the green it would have gone. The best part of the story, because I had been playing so poorly I was using a ball I had found, a lady precept with pink lettering. The boys had a good time with that. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I've done Fox Ridge once before. Spring Meadows was the course I joined because it was close to work. Nonesuch River was always my preferred course in Portland (vicinity). And Belgrade Lakes is close to my in-laws and probably my other most frequently played course up here.

Nonsuch is another favorite. And reasonable rates.