• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

It was a nice little snowfall yesterday with my neck of the woods picking up around 3".  Mainly sleet towards evening and then just intermittent rain overnight.  And of course, the main event is yet another GL cutter with heavy rain.  On and on it goes.  It's so predictable that it's almost redundant at this point.  

1 minute ago, Jandurin said:

I'll take no winter all winter over damaging ice storm.

Sorry icebros.

I'd love to experience a REAL ice storm even if I lose power for a week.  Seeing ZR with temps in the low 20s would be sweet.  I came close once when I lived in New Salem, PA during the '13 - '14 winter.  We had about 0.5" ZR and lost power for half a day.  The countryside was so beautiful and still.

• Like 2

Only a couple inches of sleet and snow, but I really liked this event. It's been a good while since I've seen snow crusted over with ice--gorgeous scenery. It's too bad that it's going to mostly melt today. 

Nothing like '94 when I remember (in Winchester) we had a 6-8 inches of snow and so much freezing rain on top of it, you couldn't stand up. 

The roads are an absolute mess out here. We have had sleet/ZR mix for a while now and there are wrecks everywhere. Route 7 has multiple trees and power lines down across the road up on the Blue Ridge. Crashes on Rt 7 from Berryville to Winchester. Just general mayhem everywhere. This turned into a legit ice storm here. Just need the temps to climb a couple of degrees and get this one over with.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Howard county emergency management reporting numerous trees and wires down throughout the county.

looks like LWX expanded WSWs and extended WWAs for ice.

the county school system made an awful call to only have 2 hour delay today.     It's fine here in the southeast part of the county, but it's a massive mess in the northwest half.    But they got skewered in the press for closing yesterday and swung the pendulum too far back the other way today

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The roads are an absolute mess out here. We have had sleet/ZR mix for a while now and there are wrecks everywhere. Route 7 has multiple trees and power lines down across the road up on the Blue Ridge. Crashes on Rt 7 from Berryville to Winchester. Just general mayhem everywhere. This turned into a legit ice storm here. Just need the temps to climb a couple of degrees and get this one over with.

Absolutely nothing down here, but a bit of ice in the trees.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

the county school system made an awful call to only have 2 hour delay today.     It's fine here in the southeast part of the county, but it's a massive mess in the northwest half.    But they got skewered in the press for closing yesterday and swung the pendulum too far back the other way today

I'm in the northeast part of the county and our roads are totally fine. I thought someone said Columbia was fine, too? What's going on in the Northwest half?

I don't know about the western half of the county yesterday, but a two-hour delay would have been fine for my area. Other than north facing sidewalks, all streets and sidewalks were totally wet by 8 am. I'm sure it was a different story to the west. I always wonder why they don't split part of Howard like they do Baltimore County, but I guess it's just such a small county.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'd love to experience a REAL ice storm even if I lose power for a week.  Seeing ZR with temps in the low 20s would be sweet.  I came close once when I lived in New Salem, PA during the '13 - '14 winter.  We had about 0.5" ZR and lost power for half a day.  The countryside was so beautiful and still.

I did and never want to again.  I was in the devastating 1994 ice storm in northern Calvert County.  It was ridiculous - two days of steady moderate rain with air temps in the low to mid 20s leaving THREE inches of solid ice glaze.  I stood on our covered porch at night and watched the sky lighting up in greenish flashes from transformers blowing in all directions, and heard branches and trees cracking and smashing to the ground in the woods.  I have never seen so much ice -- it was surreal.

My folks somehow did not lose power, but many did and for up to two weeks.  It took years for the tree line behind my parents' house to look normal again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'm in the northeast part of the county and our roads are totally fine. I thought someone said Columbia was fine, too? What's going on in the Northwest half?

I don't know about the western half of the county yesterday, but a two-hour delay would have been fine for my area. Other than north facing sidewalks, all streets and sidewalks were totally wet by 8 am. I'm sure it was a different story to the west. I always wonder why they don't split part of Howard like they do Baltimore County, but I guess it's just such a small county.

see Eskimo Joe's latest post.    It is indeed fine in the southeast part of the county, but it's a massive mess in the other half.      Lots of stuff on the school system FB page of cars and busses having to navigate around downed trees and overall icy conditions.     

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1005 AM EST TUE FEB 12 2019

.SYNOPSIS...
LOW PRESSURE WILL PASS TO OUR NORTHWEST TODAY AS A SECONDARY
AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS NEAR THE DELMARVA TONIGHT. THIS
LOW WILL LIFT OFF TO THE NORTHEAST ON WEDNESDAY AS HIGH PRESSURE
BUILDS TO OUR SOUTH THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. LOW PRESSURE CROSSING
INTO THE GREAT LAKES ON FRIDAY WILL BRING A COLD FRONT INTO THE
REGION TO END THE WORK WEEK.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

12Z IAD SOUNDING SHOWED A WARM NOSE OF 4.2C AT 809 MB OR AROUND 6.2
KFT WITH A FREEZING LEVEL AT 211 FT. A SUBSTANTIAL COLD LAYER IS
NOTED BETWEEN 627 FT AND 5KFT. THUS, THE REASON WHY THE 
FREEZING RAIN HAS BEEN ELEVATION DEPENDENT.

SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCRETION ON ELEVATED SURFACES HAS BEEN 
REPORTED IN NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY AND NORTHWEST HOWARD COUNTIES 
WITH POWER LINES AND TRANSFORMERS DOWN, THOSE TWO ZONES WERE 
UPGRADED TO A WARNING. ICE ACCRETION WILL CONTINUE ACROSS 
NORTHERN ZONES INTO EARLY AFTERNOON BEFORE SUBSTANTIAL PRESSURE 
FALLS 5-6 MB/3HR TAKE PLACE AFTER 18Z WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN 
COLD AIR ERODING QUICKLY.

WE WILL SEE A TRANSITION TO ALL RAIN DURING THE AFTERNOON FOR 
MUCH OF THE REGION, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE ALLEGANY COUNTY 
AND INTO WESTERN MINERAL COUNTY WHERE TEMPERATURES ARE LIKELY TO
HOLD AT OR BELOW FREEZING, THUS WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY 
TO HANG ON THERE THE LONGEST. THIS WILL RESULT IN THE POTENTIAL 
FOR UP TO A HALF INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. ELSEWHERE, RAIN WILL 
CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY, PICKING UP IN INTENSITY THIS EVENING 
AND INTO TONIGHT AS A COLD FRONT APPROACHES FROM THE WEST. RAIN 
TOTALS WILL BE ON THE ORDER OF A HALF TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN 
INCH FOR MOST, WITH UPWARDS OF AN INCH ACROSS NORTHERN AND 
NORTHEASTERN MD. 

AS LOW PRESSURE CROSSES INTO THE GREAT LAKES THIS EVENING, A
SECONDARY AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE DELMARVA
PENINSULA. A COLD FRONT WILL THEN SWEEP THROUGH THE AREA
OVERNIGHT, BRINGING AN END TO THE RAIN. WINDS WILL PICKUP AS 
THE FRONT SWINGS THROUGH, AND WITH COLDER AIR PUSHING IN, THERE 
WILL BE A TRANSITION BACK TO SNOW ALONG THE ALLEGHENIES WITH
MINOR ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. TEMPERATURES OVERNIGHT WILL HOLD 
ABOVE FREEZING AS THE BULK OF PRECIPITATION MOVES THROUGH THE 
AREA.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Driving into work today in HoCo, this was two cars in front of me.  Pretty wild to watch it all unfold.  I'd have stuck around to help, but when I rolled down my window, all the trees were creaking and popping, so I was out of there.  Yelled at the driver to do the same.

IMG_0801.jpg.e67a355cf8afce78fd56c9d5dc1f3c1c.jpg

Wow...where was that.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic