• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

Glad some of you northerners are still snowing. Here in Elkridge, steady snow last night had accumulated on all surfaces about a half inch when I went to bed. I was pretty surprised to be woken up by the sound of rain hitting my roof. Checked outside and it must have turned over pretty quick after I went to bed because there's a very thin layer of snow/sleet/ice out there on the grass and elevated surfaces. I was right on the edge with the Euro of 3-4 inches and virtually nothing, so the cutoff there ended up a little north of modeled, which is typical with most of our storms.

It was 30 in my neighborhood in North Baltimore when I headed downtown, sleet falling. Side streets are icy. Main roads were ok. Balt City Schools and a lot if not all of the independents closed finally.

Feels like the inch of snow and sleet on top of it was a nice payoff up this way for that first round. Skeptical of anything for second round but happy to have booked something.

Rain and 32 downtown now that I am at work.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ka60 said:

Clarksburg, MD Total Snow: 1.4"   @ 6:30 AM rain Temp: 30

Congrats!  Clarksburg has a nice little microclimate going on.  I've seen times in the past when I drove three miles from my house to Clarksburg High School and seen snow on the ground when I had nothing.  I wonder how the High Street area of Damascus did.  I got 0.5 before changing to rain before midnight.  Here is another measurement just a few miles from you:

image.png.61012535a51e4ab62acf36b0d269b4db.png

51 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Glad some of you northerners are still snowing. Here in Elkridge, steady snow last night had accumulated on all surfaces about a half inch when I went to bed. I was pretty surprised to be woken up by the sound of rain hitting my roof. Checked outside and it must have turned over pretty quick after I went to bed because there's a very thin layer of snow/sleet/ice out there on the grass and elevated surfaces. I was right on the edge with the Euro of 3-4 inches and virtually nothing, so the cutoff there ended up a little north of modeled, which is typical with most of our storms.

This is exactly how it went here. Half inch of snow, some moderate sleet, then freezing rain all night, although mostly just a glaze on the trees with a temp of 31.

53 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I'm surprised that lwx cut back snow totals for tonight in the northern tier of counties. Last night had 3 to 5 in there point and click. Now calling for 1". Most guidance still puts down several inches along the m/d line.

You know it seems the Ukmet did well with this event . Not perfect but hey snowing really good here,  and this area is pegged for the highest accumulations.  

Ok, not getting 6 to 8 inches but did well.  

Looking at radar more to come still .

As for lmx not sure why.  Mount Holly has 1 to 2 during the day today, but little if any accumulations tonight , but they are mentioing sleet. 

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

I'm surprised that lwx cut back snow totals for tonight in the northern tier of counties. Last night had 3 to 5 in there point and click. Now calling for 1". Most guidance still puts down several inches along the m/d line.

IDK.....Sleet looks like the primary precip type tonight in the northern areas. Maybe folks pick up another 1-2, but then it's a sleet fest. I'm not seeing any reliable guidance spitting out several inches of additional snow.

I think it's time to create a new description for rain at 31-32...a glaze on trees and hand railings and the occasional slick spot on step is not freezing rain in my book. From now on I shall call it....wait for it....crusty rain. Follow if you want...don't care if you don't. :hurrbear:

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, snowfan said:

IDK.....Sleet looks like the primary precip type tonight in the northern areas. Maybe folks pick up another 1-2, but then it's a sleet fest. I'm not seeing any reliable guidance spitting out several inches of additional snow.

Nam 3k, Nam 12k ,GFS and the 00z Euro all showed snow hanging on to around midnight in the northern tier of counties.

18 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Though it is a touch close the soundings on the 3K NAM do support snow until at least 12 am tonight just a touch N of Baltimore.

eta: ninja'ed

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic