Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm fully entering IMBY mode but 3k NAM has .25" of FRZA down in Charlottesville too... temps are iffy but maybe.

zr_acc.us_ma.png

Need a victory after that Duke loss.

imo...temps will be very dependent on precip rates monday. If precip stays overhead temps will have a hard time reaching the mid-thirties. Same thing with Sunday night. If precip comes in heavy, with dews in the teens, temps will mostly likely drop into the upper 20's. If we can get that it would make Monday's mid-thirties hard to come by...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'm fully entering IMBY mode but 3k NAM has .25" of FRZA down in Charlottesville too... temps are iffy but maybe.

zr_acc.us_ma.png

Need a victory after that Duke loss.

Dude.  UVA played a very good game.  Duke is super talented and made everything they jacked up from long range.  And we were still in it. Big test on Monday night

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

That looks right to me.  I get 0.0 inches.  Finally a snow map that reflects an accurate outcome! Sign me up. 

You never know. It could keep trending colder as models finally see the CAD for what it is. I've seen it happen many times before.

8 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

:(

Sorry bro. Maybe we will pull of the miracle play.  CAD is not deep enough as I see it.  It has to stop somewhere and in this example it’s N and W MD.  Haven’t seen anything yet that makes me think our part of NOVA is in the game.  I could be wrong.  Usually am but I have seen this movie before and know how it ends.  It will be close however.  

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

What are your thoughts on the latest NAM? (you can answer in the other thread but it looks like a legit hit up your way)

I am torn on this.  I was never on board because I just felt given the pattern the low to the west was likely to end up the dominant one and it would cut.  So the "idea" 3-4 days ago of a wave getting under us was not likely.  But the guidance has made that adjustment and now is trending colder with the CAD anyways.  I still have a bad feeling I end up with bare grass when this is over...but the NAM is intriguing.  Never gets my area above 33-34 degrees and so that would pretty much preserve the snow/sleet that falls.  At those temps it can survive the rain and then freeze up into a glacier.  Of course with another cutter right behind it...not sure why I even care. lol  Back when it looked like it might get cold and stay cold behind this wave I think I got this silly idea in my head...and now I am irrationally holding on to it. 

As for whether the colder trend is correct... I have no idea.  I would be lying if I said I had a gut feeling one way or another.  The guidance is trending that way, but the pattern says not likely.  There are not many examples of more than a nuisance snow with this kind of overall pattern.  But exceptions happen.  I think north of Baltimore will have a window until around 0z Monday and possibly until 3-6z towards PA to get snow and it will depend on banding and how much and how heavy the precip is during that time.  We will see. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am torn on this.  I was never on board because I just felt given the pattern the low to the west was likely to end up the dominant one and it would cut.  So the "idea" 3-4 days ago of a wave getting under us was not likely.  But the guidance has made that adjustment and now is trending colder with the CAD anyways.  I still have a bad feeling I end up with bare grass when this is over...but the NAM is intriguing.  Never gets my area above 33-34 degrees and so that would pretty much preserve the snow/sleet that falls.  At those temps it can survive the rain and then freeze up into a glacier.  Of course with another cutter right behind it...not sure why I even care. lol  Back when it looked like it might get cold and stay cold behind this wave I think I got this silly idea in my head...and now I am irrationally holding on to it. 

As for whether the colder trend is correct... I have no idea.  I would be lying if I said I had a gut feeling one way or another.  The guidance is trending that way, but the pattern says not likely.  There are not many examples of more than a nuisance snow with this kind of overall pattern.  But exceptions happen.  I think north of Baltimore will have a window until around 0z Monday and possibly until 3-6z towards PA to get snow and it will depend on banding and how much and how heavy the precip is during that time.  We will see. 

I remember an event back in February 2008 that trended colder and became a legit ice storm around here even though it was initially supposed to just be a wintry mix to rain. I was skiing that day (either in Whitetail or Liberty... don't remember) and they picked up 4-5" of snow before the changeover. But once the bus arrived at Ridgely and I got back into my car, everything was iced up. 

I don't know how similar this setup is, but I vaguely recall that storm being a cutter or inland runner. It was a really nice surprise especially since the winter otherwise sucked due to the nasty Nina.

9 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I remember an event back in February 2008 that trended colder and became a legit ice storm around here even though it was initially supposed to just be a wintry mix to rain. I was skiing that day (either in Whitetail or Liberty... don't remember) and they picked up 4-5" of snow before the changeover. But once the bus arrived at Ridgely and I got back into my car, everything was iced up. 

I don't know how similar this setup is, but I vaguely recall that storm being a cutter or inland runner. It was a really nice surprise especially since the winter otherwise sucked due to the nasty Nina.

Yeah. That was a legit nasty event even for DC proper. Roads weren’t properly treated and people were skidding all over the place on bridges and overpasses 

9 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

I'd say this could be considered an official NAMming...probably mostly mix/sleet/ice but would still be fun.

ANYTHING other than plain rain!

namconus_asnow_neus_29.png

While the snowfall output is fun to laugh at it does show how the CAD could be significant enough to at least get decent frozen as far South as Fredericksburg. And how our MD friends could get a significant snow/sleet/ice event

• Like 4

The 3k NAM is all wintry mix for areas just north of DC and has some cooling of the surface and midlevels in between wave 1 and wave 2 with sleet soundings shifting back to  snow soundings for a time before the big push of warm air rolls in. Going to be a fine line between icy mess and 33 and rain for many.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic