Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Has for like 3-4,runs in a row now

The main difference with the ukie is temps. Otherwise it's in the same general ballpark as everything else. Euro is close to a nice event for MD. Precip when the column is good is light. Change that and the midlevels will be colder by default. Gfs is the warmest but it's also scoring poorly. Any of the global ops could be correct. 

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

image.png.ade462f4b7ab71b5869227b6f15977

I think this is counting sleet as snow, in fact it most likely is. Look at the meteogram off the ukmet for DC.  It has one tiny window where the 850s are below zero while the rest is above zero. Yet the map above is showing 8-10 there. To me the more logical thing to use that map for is just how much qpf falls as frozen or freezing. 

PN_D5_TS_TT_P1_UV_UU_VV_METE_1000_Washington.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

I think this is counting sleet as snow, in fact it most likely is. Look at the meteogram off the ukmet for DC.  It has one tiny window where the 850s are below zero while the rest is above zero. Yet the map above is showing 8-10 there. To me the more logical thing to use that map for is just how much qpf falls as frozen or freezing. 

PN_D5_TS_TT_P1_UV_UU_VV_METE_1000_Washington.png

That makes sense.... otherwise it looks way too good to be true. I'm not getting a 14" snowstorm on Tuesday.

46 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

This has warning level event written all over it for esp i70 north and the typical favored areas . If had to put a forecast out right now . I'd say 3-6" of total snow/ sleet acc  and .10"-.30" icing i70 north for the 3 day totals . 

Not bad for a storm that cuts to Sault Ste. Marie.

The Euro gives DCA > 5" of precipitation over the next 7 days half of which falls during this system, let's obsess over the 0.1" (almost) that is forecast to be snow. 

Verbatim, 850 temperatures rise above 0C around midnight Monday morning; before which approximately 0.08" of precipitation falls. They then increase slowly and don't exceed 2 celsius until 0230 AM Tuesday before which approximately 0.5" of precipitation falls.  850 temperatures exceed 10 celsius by 7 PM Tuesday evening 

1000-500 hPa thickness start at 544 dm and rise slowly. 1000-850 thickness remain steady at 130-131 dm until about 0230 AM Tuesday when they begin rising rapidly. 

32 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well, it's about time to call it for me.  I think Frederick on north looks good for some real fun.  Not afraid to admit at this point that I'm a little shaken as far as the rest of the month goes.  Thankfully, I've diversified my hobbies for the winter.

Ever try a DFH 120 min IPA? Try one. Just one. You will feel like you drank a bottle of wine, but better. Great food value in this stuff too.

I'm ready for the NAMz, and Happy hour GFS(although I know it will suck).

2 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

https://dogfishalehouse.com

Alehouses are at 3 locations

Been to the gaithersburg one a ton 

Other that that I've only been to milton location once

Ahh cool. Not a DC person but makes sense they would have multiple ale houses in that general area. I mostly end up drinking one at Rehoboth, outside of pouring one at home.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic