Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 10-12, 2019 Storm

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

Easy to see why the Ukie is a big hit.  Take a look how far east it gets compared to the GFS and Euro.

CABE3030-0AE0-49FE-B990-A339AC069AA3.png

B9BED3AB-EAB8-4D45-9343-7A871371EAB2.png

51E5A365-9F28-4AF9-A369-C0A06170AB35.png

It's been sticking to its guns while the other guidance jumps back and forth between that idea and the stronger cutter solution.  Doesn't make it right, it could be consistently wrong.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It's been sticking to its guns while the other guidance jumps back and forth between that idea and the stronger cutter solution.  Doesn't make it right, it could be consistently wrong.  

Agreed.  And I think we have seen this year that it has been less phase happy in the mid range and consistently south and weak with lows in general.  Our January event it was the southern outlier until almost go time.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It was the only model last week consistently showing the coastal enhancement with our little cold powder event. NAMs picked up on it at the very end.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True. What doesn’t hold water for me is how the gfs handles the CAD in today’s run. High is stronger and in a better position and just has no holding power on temps. Don’t buy it at all. GFS consistently sucks with CAD and don’t think it’s right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Agreed.  And I think we have seen this year that it has been less phase happy in the mid range and consistently south and weak with lows in general.  Our January event it was the southern outlier until almost go time.

lol yep...kept trying to give me 10" of snow all week leading up to that rainstorm... even until like 48 hours out then it finally shifted way north.  

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

True. What doesn’t hold water for me is how the gfs handles the CAD in today’s run. High is stronger and in a better position and just has no holding power on temps. Don’t buy it at all. GFS consistently sucks with CAD and don’t think it’s right now.

Oh not saying I think the GFS is right either.  Let's see what Dr. No has to say soon.  That will go a long way to influencing my opinion of the 12z run.  

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Reporter: Yoda, you've just won the first 2 billion dollar powerball in history, how do you feel?

Yoda:  Decent 

11 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You got the hang of it. :drunk:

Very good!  But perhaps minus 1 point because he used "Yoda" rather than your usual "Yoder"! :D

36 minutes ago, yoda said:

Decent

snowfall_total_accum_10to1_PANJDE_hr114.thumb.png.aed772aeee689f2f3cf39e53d9db0d15.png

Lots of reasons to be skeptical but this looks like a classic 6-12 inch storm setup for our region.  South and east with lower totals and and North and West with higher totals.  If the the Ukie holds serve tonight and the other models are still making wild swings i think it needs to be considered as a possiblity

6 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Lots of reasons to be skeptical but this looks like a classic 6-12 inch storm setup for our region.  South and east with lower totals and and North and West with higher totals.  If the the Ukie holds serve tonight and the other models are still making wild swings i think it needs to be considered as a possiblity

I'll have what you're having!

Just now, BristowWx said:

not for us brother.  I know where this is headed.  CAD argument can only be used to a point.  This is not the deep CAD to NC kind of setup. If I am wrong we get more frozen. 

Agreed. Depth of cold in the mids is not impressive at all. Still close enough and enough time for things to shift to a much better outcome but my enthusiasm is declining little by little as the midlevels retreat little by little every 6 hours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Agreed. Depth of cold in the mids is not impressive at all. Still close enough and enough time for things to shift to a much better outcome but my enthusiasm is declining little by little as the midlevels retreat little by little every 6 hours. 

But haven't we done this dance enough times lately?  There was a 50/50 (but not blocked in) with a better high this time, so the steady progression of the boundary NW has been slower and more subtle, but its the same exact trend as EVERY storm during that period after the January 12th Storm.  This time we had better conditions to our northeast but a worse trough axis to our west and so its going to offset probably.  But for the last several weeks we have not had a favorable trough axis and not enough blocking that would be needed to offset that problem.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic