Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any rule of thumb that people sometimes use for ice accretion vs qpf?

For example, does 1.0" of qpf roughly translate to 0.25" accretion?  I know it's not that simple, but I was wondering...

Pretty sure it's between about 50-90% rate depending mostly on intensity and wind speed. Temperature really behind these factors in importance. 

Looks pretty good - I do think that we won't see the kind of icing we did last time in southern areas and even the valleys to some extent. The Arctic air over central/northern New England isn't anywhere near as impressive.

My area that I'm most interested in is parts of Litchfield County where 2/3 to 3/4" of ZR is modeled. 

Just now, dendrite said:

I have no use for sleet with a meh fossilized snow pack and a finally cleared driveway. Maybe I can build a sleetman?

Its actually adds and solidifies the pack, Obviously i would prefer snow, But we will take anything frozen other then the zr, Let the others that wish for death and destruction have it.

Just now, CTValleySnowMan said:

Haven't looked at things real closely, is that tongue of slightly warmer air right up the Connecticut River through Connecticut and up to near Springfield realistic in this setup?

It's possible because the CT River Valley may be cutoff from the dewpoint feed since we're mostly advecting down from Maine. They'll latently heat to 33-34F and rot. The coldest layers are initially around 950mb too so that's why the Berks and NW CT stay colder. There will prob still be ice though in the valley for a time.

Just now, dryslot said:

Its actually adds and solidifies the pack, Obviously i would prefer snow, But we will take anything frozen other then the zr, Let the others that wish for death and destruction have it.

I'm not worried about an icestorm here. Even if it's all ZR it'll be the typical icing event. I just don't want 1-2" of only pure sleet on my now cleared driveway. Who wants to clear that? The pack will also be solid enough after it freezes back up following this mini torch. It doesn't need more sleet. Toss it like a Sean McVay offensive gameplan.

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Looks pretty good - I do think that we won't see the kind of icing we did last time in southern areas and even the valleys to some extent. The Arctic air over central/northern New England isn't anywhere near as impressive.

My area that I'm most interested in is parts of Litchfield County where 2/3 to 3/4" of ZR is modeled. 

NW/ NE hills 

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like Ryan isn't too worried about a major ice storm for you. I'm glad your family will have heat.

He also told me we wouldn’t have ice issues in that last storm .. so there’s that . To say there’s no ice threat in hilly terrain of NE CT is as silly as you taking days off to spend with the chickens.

28 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

No concern for northern Windham

Yeesh....Euro just really upped the QPF for Wednesday night. This is gonna have to be watched closely....once you start approaching a half inch of accretion then it becomes a huge deal....QPF values are near 0.70-0.75 on Euro now for most of SNE for Wed night.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeesh....Euro just really upped the QPF for Wednesday night. This is gonna have to be watched closely....once you start approaching a half inch of accretion then it becomes a huge deal....QPF values are near 0.70-0.75 on Euro now for most of SNE for Wed night.

Insidious nature to this because it may yet only be 40 or so with the dp of say 31 ... but the sounding at 925 telling more the story? 

I'm not seeing an actual "surface" push but it just sort of flop defaults the BL into dicey cold scenario in the mean of the various guidance' - 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Given the amount of QPF and the depth of the warm layer a loft, that was pretty nasty for central mass. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Qpf thru 48 is frozen as see n below. NE CT is again frozen longer than NWCT. I hate to disagree with Ryan but a drain from maine falls mainly on your pain

download (6).png

download (5).png

download (4).png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Insidious nature to this because it may yet only be 40 or so with the dp of say 31 ... but the sounding at 925 telling more the story? 

I'm not seeing an actual "surface" push but it just sort of flop defaults the BL into dicey cold scenario in the mean of the various guidance' - 

Yeah, the 950mb temps are like -4C....that's been the coldest layer.