Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

45 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Curious as to if the Crystal Lake area got alot of freezing rain. WU had them down to 31.8F.

I think the freezing line was above that.  I'm at 650' and didn't see any ice this morning but I did see ice above 900' so it was very limited.  The area along 190 and JMH was icy but below that was just wet.

1 hour ago, 8611Blizz said:

I would say he will get a big head over this but that would be redundant.

They should have taken a ride up 84 to Union.  Instead of a hill top it's basically the whole town above 1000'.  They could have gone to the Travelers Restaurant.

That was essentially an exact 32.0 icing event ... It was transfixing to geek out and watch the temp at my place bounce around between 31.9 and 32.1 all night while we couldn't really get icing underway.

Give or take a tick up or two down from that point obvioiusly dictated who got what ... but it was about as precisely marginal as could be quantized in the average. 

Not to make it an IMBY thing but ... where I live in Ayer is pretty closely adjacent to the main thoroughfare of the town, where there are typical 1930s brick buildings housing small businesses and restaurants .. quintessential small town Massachusetts fair.. But I'm thinking the air mass was so marginal that the brick and mortar and street setting, combined with artificial heat sourcing may have been enough, by decimals, too warm.  I'm pretty deep inland so ... coastal causality is removed and as it were... I had 0 accretion visible amid the foliage of my street as I left for work right around the time the dawn's dimmer switch was rising ... but by the time I was climbing the subtle hills through Fort Devens there was more in the way of 'glow' about the tree limbs with a bit of evergreen sag.   Then, heading west down Rt 2, the glow become more obvious ...and a bit more sagging.  

It never really got any more impressive than that however ... all the way south thru mid state on 190 and east down 290... through Shrewbury on 140 S.. Although, in Shrewbury center at that light there was more icicles and evidence that it was more efficient at that location.. Indeed, a glance at the dash thermometer had that point in time the coldest for the trip at 31 F.  Otherwise, the temp was flopping around between 32 and 34 as I came down.  

Right now out the office windwos it still glowing in the trees ... it's pithy murk out there too... 

19 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That was essentially an exact 32.0 icing event ... It was transfixing to geek out and watch the temp at my place bounce around between 31.9 and 32.1 all night while we couldn't really get icing underway.

Give or take a tick up or two down from that point obvioiusly dictated who got what ... but it was about as precisely marginal as could be quantized in the average. 

Not to make it an IMBY thing but ... where I live in Ayer is pretty closely adjacent to the main thoroughfare of the town, where there are typical 1930s brick buildings housing small businesses and restaurants .. quintessential small town Massachusetts fair.. But I'm thinking the air mass was so marginal that the brick and mortar and street setting, combined with artificial heat sourcing may have been enough, by decimals, too warm.  I'm pretty deep inland so ... coastal causality is removed and as it were... I had 0 accretion visible amid the foliage of my street as I left for work right around the time the dawn's dimmer switch was rising ... but by the time I was climbing the subtle hills through Fort Devens there was more in the way of 'glow' about the tree limbs with a bit of evergreen sag.   Then, heading west down Rt 2, the glow become more obvious ...and a bit more sagging.  

It never really got any more impressive than that however ... all the way south thru mid state on 190 and east down 290... through Shrewbury on 140 S.. Although, in Shrewbury center at that light there was more icicles and evidence that it was more efficient at that location.. Indeed, a glance at the dash thermometer had that point in time the coldest for the trip at 31 F.  Otherwise, the temp was flopping around between 32 and 34 as I came down.  

Right now out the office windwos it still glowing in the trees ... it's pithy murk out there too... 

Shrewsbury center there at the light of main st and 140 is pretty good elevation....close to 700 feet. That def played a role in the better glazing there.

Just now, Whineminster said:

it's ridiculous how this site can't compress photos from your phone when trying to upload......no wonder there's not more pics it's a PITA. But it's free so I can't complain i guess. 

Email the pic to yourself on your phone....when you email, it should give you an option to send as a smaller file, then resave the photo to your phone once you email the smaller file to yourself.