Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve found over the years living here , that is generally the line of have/have nots . Especially in strict elevation events. Not always, but more often than not. How much ice are you expecting above 700?

I agree. From what I have gathered from Will, 700-800'

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

My expectations will be met for this one, Were onto next weds.

Mine too, as I had none.  06 GFS down around 0.1" for our area from Act 1, and Act 2 is probably warm enough to preclude frozen precip.  Terrible timing for #1, however, as I need to be in PWM at 9:30 tomorrow for a Dr. appt.

Just now, tamarack said:

Mine too, as I had none.  06 GFS down around 0.1" for our area from Act 1, and Act 2 is probably warm enough to preclude frozen precip.  Terrible timing for #1, however, as I need to be in PWM at 9:30 tomorrow for a Dr. appt.

PWM will probably be more of a problem weatherwise for you then New Sharon, Hope its nothing serious Tom.

Just now, dendrite said:

Kinda need to keep putting it down when the deluges wash it away and then we freeze it all right back up before we can dry out. But yeah, it sucks. 

The black ice this am was very abundant, That's the part that sucks with these warm ups then refreezes.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

PWM will probably be more of a problem weatherwise for you then New Sharon, Hope its nothing serious Tom.

Annual check on some non-symptomatic partial artery blockage.  And yes, I expect a bit of gritty frozen stuff at home overnight, not an issue for the Forester, but hope that treatment/traffic has taken care of any ice before we get near the city. 

Just now, tamarack said:

Annual check on some non-symptomatic partial artery blockage.  And yes, I expect a bit of gritty frozen stuff at home overnight, not an issue for the Forester, but hope that treatment/traffic has taken care of any ice before we get near the city. 

A hardy fellow like you it should be a piece of cake..................;)

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The black ice this am was very abundant, That's the part that sucks with these warm ups then refreezes.

But but people here bitch when they put down salt. Fact is it save injuries and death so they have to deal with a little salt BFD. Constant whining and complaining about anything and everything.  DOT did an unreal job on the squall day. That could have been disastrous.  They had trucks on the ready and laid down salt a half hour before the squalls hit. Its sometimes unreal in here to read grown ass men and women bitch about the minute things.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

But but people here bitch when they put down salt. Fact is they save injuries and death so they have to deal with a little salt BFD. Constant whining and complaining about anything and everything.  DOT did an unreal job on the squall day. That could have been disastrous.  They had trucks on the ready and laid down salt a half hour before the squalls hit. Its sometimes unreal in here to read grown ass men and women bitch about the minute things.

I'm guessing the DPW here salt stash has taken a big hit this winter as i noticed they were using sand today, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hospitals are seeing an uptick in broken bones today as well.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

But but people here bitch when they put down salt. Fact is it save injuries and death so they have to deal with a little salt BFD. Constant whining and complaining about anything and everything.  DOT did an unreal job on the squall day. That could have been disastrous.  They had trucks on the ready and laid down salt a half hour before the squalls hit. Its sometimes unreal in here to read grown ass men and women bitch about the minute things.

Yes and no.  If one can wait until 12 hours after the storm ends, the liquid salt is wonderful.  If one must be out during the storm, the stuff makes things twice as slippery (unless it's zero like Jan. 20, when it's ineffective until a warm-up.)  Greatest good for the greatest number, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I've got no problem with salt when needed, especially on some of the roads I drive on.  However, in our area they have been dumping tons of salt when it was obvious that either there was going to be no snow or the precip was going to be liquid not frozen.  I have to wonder where some of the cities and towns are getting their forecasts as they are wasting money and resources.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Yes and no.  If one can wait until 12 hours after the storm ends, the liquid salt is wonderful.  If one must be out during the storm, the stuff makes things twice as slippery (unless it's zero like Jan. 20, when it's ineffective until a warm-up.)  Greatest good for the greatest number, I guess.

The difference between treated highways and untreated during the squall day was like night and day.  I have advocated for years that black ice 1 inch snowstorms are much more dangerous than big snowstorms on the highways. I wrote letters to my state highway superintendent with lots of data. A group formed to stress the need for ice awareness by DOT.  It worked. I can deal with salt not with getting t boned.

1 minute ago, HimoorWx said:

I've got no problem with salt when needed, especially on some of the roads I drive on.  However, in our area they have been dumping tons of salt when it was obvious that either there was going to be no snow or the precip was going to be liquid not frozen.  I have to wonder where some of the cities and towns are getting their forecasts as they are wasting money and resources.

Oh this is so true. I was surprised years ago to find out our state outsourced their Met consultants to a group on the West Coast. It showed.  Not knowing local climo,  local variables hurts the message. 

Back on topic the Nams still give ORH county and SNH a pretty good icing. Tomorrow morning will be dicey for a lot of peeps.  The NAM hammers the Greens and Berks tops over the course of 4 days. Ski areas are going to have major issues if that holds.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wow 

no discussion cept for treatment removal and a blizz comment

Not much to say from earlier...qpf isn't going to be high enough for power grid issues. The 0.75-1.00 runs from yesterday (including euro) appeared to be burp runs. The trend didn't stick. 

It looks like a marginal ice event for interior MA (and maybe parts of elevated N CT) that makes for some slick roads but won't be a big deal for anyone not driving. 

Euro did tick the QPF up again at 12z but still not like yesterday. It's more like 0.4-0.5. That could maybe cause some 0.25" accretion in the high terrain of N ORH county....but on the whole no big deal for anyone not driving tonight. 

Interesting ob...

METAR KBUF 061754Z 07008KT 4SM -RA BR FEW007 BKN015 OVC030 00/M01 A2988 RMK AO2
                 RAB53FZRAE53 SLP128 DEPTH OF GLAZE 2/10 INCH P0015 60057 I1005 I6037 T00001006
                 10000 21028 58034 $ =

They augmented 2/10" of glaze in the comments, but the glaze accretion algorithm has 0.37"...almost twice as much.