Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 6-7 icing

ORH_wxman

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Could all still go down as a 32.1er ...  

950 is pretty cold....so I'm leaning against the 32.1 idea at least for the ASH to ORH corridor and 495 belt....might be 32.1 in the 128 belt down to N CT after minimal glaze though if warmer solutions start taking hold.

But there's obviously still time for trending....if 18z NAM thermals are the start of a real trend that is accurate, then it could move this into almost a pure elevation event.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

950 is pretty cold....so I'm leaning against the 32.1 idea at least for the ASH to ORH corridor and 495 belt....might be 32.1 in the 128 belt down to N CT after minimal glaze though if warmer solutions start taking hold.

But there's obviously still time for trending....if 18z NAM thermals are the start of a real trend that is accurate, then it could move this into almost a pure elevation event.

Oh me too .. .for now... 

I wonder if there's ever been an event where for 2 hours it was 32.13 and for the next 2 hours it was 31.981 .... over and over again for two days.  

Like the aggregate/intervals count = 0 C exactly but because of the oscillation you get exactly 0 ice - 

awesome

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

2008 was less of an elevation around here in SE NH closer to the source region. It helped but damage was widespread and even extended parts of Haverhill near the border

East of ORH hills and esp up along 495 belt into S NH and Essex county MA (W of 95) it was really bad...elevation didn't play much role there....being closer to the source of dewpoint drain as you said. Once you got west of the crest of ORH hills, it became way more elevation dependent. I remember even MPM out at 1k in Shelborne didn't get much ice...you had to go to about 1200 feet to get hammered.

25 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Looks pretty icy for me in the hills in NW & NW CT... including Kevin. At least around here I'm thinking an elevation event.

The NAM has some pockets of 1" of ZR in some of the hills just west of Hartford. Not ideal

Very ideal.  I think we should hope this sticks to an elevation event as it seems most posters at elevation want it and the lowland folks don't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I thought it was a bit lower, my sister in law at 800 feet in Charlton got iced bad, most of Charlton north of 20 was iced and a few spots at 800 south. I sat at 33.

The further west you were, the higher you had to go....Charlton kind of sits on the spine of the hills in southern ORH county...so they were able to get icing below 1,000 feet.

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

I was just basing that on the Euro, That was a sleet look on there for you, Meso's seem to be ticking cooler so we will see if that hols, For here, Were not working with a lot of qpf unless we get a few tics northward.

More qpf-starved with each run.  Maybe 1-2" of rime-mangled 6:1 flakes?  Then some ZR to RA on Thursday night, and not much of either.  This event has been getting less and less interesting as time passes.

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

3km nam looked nasty despite its 12k counterpart. The whole meso low thing is interesting. The cold dissolves I assume to latent heat release, but I wonder if guidance is going too wild with that. Kind of like what we saw in last event.

Scott what are your thoughts on the immediate Boston area?

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

3km nam looked nasty despite its 12k counterpart. The whole meso low thing is interesting. The cold dissolves I assume to latent heat release, but I wonder if guidance is going too wild with that. Kind of like what we saw in last event.

The model bias is almost always in the direction of eroding the cold too fast...Tip already mentioned this exact point and it's true. 

I think the one limiting factor will be antecedent airmass. We don't know what it will be. A couple degrees makes a huge difference. 

Yikes! Not liking the looks of the soundings around here tomorrow night. :yikes: It's still rotting at 32° F here at hour 60 as the cutter comes in Thursday night. Euro has it icing into Friday AM too.

My elevation puts me right smack dab in the midst of the cold layer with too much warmth above for sleet. Usually the base of the > 0° C layer needs to be above 800-825 mb for sleet here, unless it's super cold and/or warm layer is thin.

925 mb charts work quite well for my spot. While usually 925 mb is up closer to the 3K, there are cases when 925 mb is below me during stronger storms. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 5.12.03 PM.png