• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Favorite winter event since January 2016?

snjókoma

Favorite Winter Event since January 2016?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What has been your favorite snow/ice/sleet event since the blizzard of 2016?

• PD2.25 (February 14th-15th, 2016)
    • March 13th-14th, 2017
    • December 9th, 2017
    • March 21-22nd, 2018
    • Snovember (November 15th, 2018)
    • December 9th, 2018 (not for DC-Baltimore folks, lol)
    • January 12th-14th, 2018
    • Other (please explain)

The obvious choice for me is January 2019. Hard to beat 10" of snow with little to no mixing or accumulation issues. Also feels good to be in the bullseye, though not the bullseye of the bullseye (congrats, MoCo). My second choice for MBY would actually be the March 2017 storm - I know that it was a moderate bust in the NW suburbs when the mixing line sprinted west overnight, but the forecast was fine around 95, and despite it being mid-march, the large amount of precipitation in that 2-3 inch block of sleet, ice and snow persisted far longer than I would've thought. Made the next several days feel very wintry. And any snow in the middle of March is pretty cool for this area, though it has become pretty common in the 2010s :)

I think we should get an interesting variety of answers...the January 2019 storm was not an area wide crusher, and that there has been some pretty sharp cutoffs in some of these storms. 

• Like 2

March 21-22, 2018.

Definitely the biggest storm I've seen so late in the season. Ended up with 8.5", which was a really big deal especially after the awful 2016-17 season and awful January and Feb in 2018. It didn't even feel like a usual late season event ... it felt like midwinter at the height of the storm.

14 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

You should add the two beach blizzards to this poll (1/7/17 and 1/3-4/18).

Yeah Bomb Cyclone I, hands down. I would put that one on my all-time fav storm list.

Jan 2016 absolutely does not make my top 10 list, but last years beach blizz might be on it.

eta- the 1/17 storm was not technically a blizzard, and having experienced both of these storms, I would also say it wasn't anecdotally. Great storm with some wind. Last years event was a legit blizzard.

• Like 1

March 2nd wind event.  Peak gust of 67mph which is the highest non thunderstorm gust since December 28, 1988.

Wind events are fun, power did go out but we have several gennies and two big diesel tanks. :)

And the work with cutting up the trees is good exercise. 

And too, the Jan 23 blizzard for us was a BIG event.  We got under some bands that pushed totals way up!  The candle is 48" tall!

• Like 3

1) January 12/13 2019 (~8" of snow over 30 hours, only downside was the flip/dryslot during the morning and early afternoon)

2) March 21, 2018 (4-5" but some nice bands in the morning and a big storm for that time of year)

3) November 15 2018 (Less than 2" but the surprise aspect of it and how early it was puts it higher)

4) February 15 2016 (If I recall a minor overperformer with around 4". It vaporized in 12 hours though)

5)March 14 2017 (3" of concrete. Lasted far longer than that amount would otherwise last in March)

6)December 9 2017 (Around 3-4" but didn't accumulate outside of grass or last long)

7)December 9 2018 (A pathetic bust with around 1/4" dusting)

• Like 1

definitely quite a lame stretch from jan '16 until jan '19 (fyi, you wrote 2018, but i'm assuming you're referring to '19).  jan '19 was the best one since then, obviously.  then, i'd probably go march '18 (pretty uncommon late season snow).  one other event that stands out is feb 9, 2016.  it was a localized snow squall (though no wind) that literally was right over my neighborhood.  huge flakes and a lot of them.  lasted about 15-20 mins (estimate) and coated the ground.  it was like a frozen version of a heavy, pop up summer rainshower.  

as far as events are concerned...the super blood wolf moon and the march '18 wind event were both pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah Bomb Cyclone I, hands down. I would put that one on my all-time fav storm list.

Jan 2016 absolutely does not make my top 10 list, but last years beach blizz might be on it.

eta- the 1/17 storm was not technically a blizzard, and having experienced both of these storms, I would also say it wasn't anecdotally. Great storm with some wind. Last years event was a legit blizzard.

IMBY 1/2017 had more snow but 1/2018 was more intense. Both were cold powder storms with a record warm up the following week. I'd pick 1/2017 as my favorite of the two because of the extra snow and the nostalgia (it was my youngest son's first storm, at 3 months old).

For this poll overall, I'd  go with 1/12-14/2019. Second place would be 3/21/2018- I've never seen that much snow so late in the season. 1/2017 and 1/2018 would be 3rd and 4th, respectively. 

PD 2016 would round out the top five- it was such a positive bust down here (some parts of St. Mary's got more from that storm than HECS 2016). It turned over to rain and washed/melted away almost instantly though.