• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

February 2019 Observations

It's been a steady mix of wet snow and sleet for the past couple of hours. Temp down to 33.4 IMBY. This has gotten colder more quickly than anticipated.

I've got a nice slushy accumulation on my back deck. The driveway is also beginning to accumulate the sleet pellets. Over performing, for sure, here in Hickory!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Sleeting pretty steady here, am wondering if we’ll see sleet which mixes with snow like what occurred downstream.

And there it goes right back to mostly sleet. We seem to be near isothermal with these quick flip-flops, very rate dependent.

So I’m noticing that my temp is falling a couple degrees faster than most of the hi-res guidance, even accounting for the earlier onset of precip than what was shown. Even the NAM is a degree too warm. I’m wondering if that since the models are showing rain, but we’re actually seeing lots of frozen precip at the surface; that the models are slow to cool because they aren’t accounting for atmospheric heat being removed to melt the snow/sleet.

3 minutes ago, WSchew said:

So I’m noticing that my temp is falling a couple degrees faster than most of the hi-res guidance, even accounting for the earlier onset of precip than what was shown. Even the NAM is a degree too warm. I’m wondering if that since the models are showing rain, but we’re actually seeing lots of frozen precip at the surface; that the models are slow to cool because they aren’t accounting for atmospheric heat being removed to melt the snow/sleet.

Plus you have to take into account that as frozen precip (snow/sleet) melts it takes heat from the air. It's the opposite of freezing rain which adds heat as it freezes. 

Edit: I didn't read your last line ^_^

3 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Seeing more snow again. 

Wondering about those bright echoes around Siler City and southern Chatham. 

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Wondering about those bright echoes around Siler City and southern Chatham. 

Must be heavy sleet. It looks like I'm in the same band your in. If we can get that (the bright returns) to push south we would be in all snow.