Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Overrunning Set-Up/Ice Storm 2/5-2/8

Frog Town

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm gonna disagree with some of that.  I think Dekalb over to Aurora and northwest Cook county get a several hour period of freezing rain.  I'm less confident on how efficient accretion will be given the expected temps and rates but I'd think a tenth or two at minimum.

Yea, we're definitely in disagreement lol.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

You should do well up there with the ice. Temps still in the upper 20's there currently, and might not go above 32 the whole event.

This is one case where if the forecast busted I wouldn't be upset. Not a big fan of ice. Thanks for the input though

ORD and DPA can wet bulb into the upper 20s when it comes in given their dew points...ORD in particular may not hang on for THAT long but it will take some time to warm from the upper 20s to above freezing once removed from the lake and most significant urban influence.  With the rates there will still be accretion issues where it's not that cold though...tough call for where more significant icing starts but it might not be that much farther W/NW from ORD.  

Ironically I still like the Detroit area and especially just N & W better than Chicago for warning criteria ice (though someone in IL probably gets 0.25" of accretion). 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, madwx said:

Starting as freezing rain in Madison.  Will be interesting to see what happens under the heavier returns moving in 

A few minutes ago, it started spitting widely spaced but large snowflakes on the southwest side between Whitney & Gammon. Now hearing the sound of sleet/ice pellets hitting the window.

3 minutes ago, thomp2mp said:

was just watching WDIV and they are really lowballing it, highest ice amount forecasted is for Novi at .22"

i think we are entering a world of pain and DTX is not onboard

Only way we luck out is if this runs off a lot due to high precip rates. Already down to 32 and still going down here at DTW.

29 at DET 27 at PHN those colder temps are advecting in nicely, dews are in the lower to mid 20s there too.

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

A few minutes ago, it started spitting widely spaced but large snowflakes on the southwest side between Whitney & Gammon. Now hearing the sound of sleet/ice pellets hitting the window.

Same here, getting snow sleet and a bit of freezing rain at the same time

live look at the precip outside:

kitchen sink.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Well, I got my sleet fix lol.  Had two thunderstorms roll through with some nice CG action.  The first storm was a 50/50 mix of freezing rain and sleet.  That was the hardest I've ever seen freezing rain come down.  The second storm was mostly sleet, with a little freezing rain.  Both storms whitened the paved areas up with sleet.  Back to light freezing rain right now, with a temp of 31.

• Like 2