Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Discobs 2019

George BM

9 hours ago, WVclimo said:

MRB gusted to 62 mph earlier this evening.  A CWOP station in Hagerstown also recorded a 62 mph gust.  My top gust at 10m is 55 mph so far.

Winds went even higher overnight.  MRB with a 66 mph gust, and the Hagerstown CWOP had one 65 mph.  An 81 mph gust was reported via Mesonet near Wintergreen in Nelson Co., VA.

• Like 1

This feels like more than a run-of-the-mill synoptic wind event in downtown Baltimore at the moment. I am in a 22 story steel frame building (20th floor) and the gusts are literally shaking the building. I have not experienced that here before and I have worked here since October of 2010.

It is quite unsettling, frankly.

• Like 1

I would say the gusts in my neck of the woods have been in the 40-50 MPH range.  I've seen worse, especially with that high wind event last winter.   Hopefully, not too many people lost power or trees in the their yards.   Considering how wet it's been, I guess the silver lining with the wind is that it does dry things out on the surface. 

42 minutes ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Seemed like some decent gusts here but honestly thought it would have been worse overnight/today. 

Worst here was last night.

Also see the HWW canceled, WA in effect.  Besides the occasional gust, average is very low for a "wind event" here.  We tend to bust frequently on legitimate wind (sustained) that is.  This is certainly nothing like last March for sure.

Which, TBH, is good for us as we have a lot of tree work to do and I don't want to deal with a costly insurance claim when they come down.

And that video, FTS.  Too much rolling for me.  Rolling on a ship is bad enough but the period is much shorter on an airliner.  Multiple replays of breakfast is no fun.

5 hours ago, Rvarookie said:

So nice to see sun out today after having rain for 10 out of last 15 days. Wind is def helping to dry things out 

I do feel bad for those that lost power and especially the ones that had trees either slam into their house or car but like you, I chose to find a positive with the wind and it does dry the surface out appreciably.   And yes, the sun shining was nice for a change.  My sister lives in Richmond and she's been ranting about the rain for some time now.  Can't say I blame her...it's been relentless for almost a year.   I keep waiting for some met or poster here to tell me that the long range Spring/Summer outlook is for drier than normal conditions.   That would be a symphony to my ears. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic