Total Members
    Most Online
    Gino27
    Newest Member
    Gino27
George BM

February Banter 2019

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Most are looking wayy down the road but I'm getting my shovel ready for the Friday morning snow the CMC and fv3 put down  :whistle:

Add the 12z Euro to the mix lol. All 3 showing some accumulating snow Friday morning for esp i70 north. I was just messin around and haven't looked at guidance much this weekend but day 5 looks to have a chance.  Looking at Eps there is some support actually.  Euro keeps just enough confluence to the north to drag the snow line south ..A little more correction south and more areas would be impacted.  Gfs has higher hieghts thus the warmer solution.  Cmc and fv3 both similar at h5 to Euro at 114 hour ish . 

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I’ve got a pork butt smoking away today. Took the wee one out to get the Egg set up at the crack of dawn and got the meat on at 8:15 am. Feels great to get back to it again!

Do you like the egg?  Been thinking about getting one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Probably a dumb question, but do you use that as your primary grill too (i.e. hamburgers/etc)?  Or should I keep the Weber for those things?

Wish I were here 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Gaylord MI 950 AM EST Sun Feb 24 2019 MIZ008-015-242300- /O.CON.KAPX.BZ.W.0002.190224T1800Z-190225T1200Z/ Chippewa-Mackinac- Including the cities of Sault Ste. Marie and St. Ignace 950 AM EST Sun Feb 24 2019 .

..BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Winds gusting 40 to 60 mph will cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant drifting of the snow is likely.

Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches, with localized amounts up to 7 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Chippewa and Mackinac Counties. * WHEN...From 1 PM this afternoon to 7 AM EST Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very dangerous to impossible. Damage to trees and power lines is likely.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel.

If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle. && $$ http://www.weather.gov/gaylord

2 hours ago, frd said:

No storm has tracked up the Eastern seaboard this year in a good way.  No way to curve the flow. 

I am ready for the beach and the icecream man. I can smell the Coppertone now if I close my eyes. 

My god to live in the long periods where there was little snow here would be torture,  or better yet, without snow you can't get excited about snow and then no hobby. 

The GFS could be overplaying the cold but that does not work like you said , if has been addressed some how in the modeling.   

I am ready for camping. Still too early to dewinterize the trailer (probably the end of March/early April) but if we get a nice weekend in the next few weeks I might head up anyway. Wife doesn't like using the community showers and heads but she will have to deal. :) 

Try living through the 70's here in MD. Was too young to really realize how bad that decade was. The 79 storm was a real wakeup call for me as to what I had been missing all those years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I am ready for camping. Still too early to dewinterize the trailer (probably the end of March/early April) but if we get a nice weekend in the next few weeks I might head up anyway. Wife doesn't like using the community showers and heads but she will have to deal. :) 

Try living through the 70's here in MD. Was too young to really realize how bad that decade was. The 79 storm was a real wakeup call for me as to what I had been missing all those years.

Exactly , your wife will have to deal with it LOL. 

My enjoyment is surfing and body surfing , love the Wildwood, NJ beach.  Delaware beaches are a death trap with the massive fall off. They ruined them when they did beach replenshment. 

So, my brother-in-law and I head from Delaware all the way to North Wildwood, NJ to partake in the surf. ( and the ice cream too !!! ) 

I use MagicSeaweed.com  to time the tide and best waves. 

The only issue is with the beach it takes forever to warm up and is the last gate to summer. 

• Like 1

An Apology To @Ji----I've been on the anti-JI bandwagon all season long and you know what, Hes bucked the trend all season and has been generally correct.  I am now as Ji-amistic as JI is.. (at least for this season)  Seeing is believing for. 10 days out doesn't do it for me anymore   I'll be a JI-amist up until the time we are actually NOW CASTING something.

Just now, frd said:

Exactly , your wife will have to deal with it LOL. 

My enjoyment is surfing and body surfing , love the Wildwood, NJ beach.  Delaware beaches are a death trap with the massive fall off. They ruined them when they did beach replenshment. 

So, my brother-in-law and I head from Delaware all the way to North Wildwood, NJ to partake in the surf. ( and the ice cream too !!! ) 

I use MagicSeaweed.com  to time the tide and best waves. 

The only issue is with the beach it takes forever to warm up and is the last gate to summer. 

When I was younger I was at the beach at every opportunity to swim and party. Typically OC up through Bethany. Loved the swimming, fishing, crabbing, night clubbing, etc... But now that I have gotten older I really don't drink that much nor night club at all. The fishing and crabbing is nowhere what it used to be and as far as swimming I forgo that now because I don't want to be mistaken for a grounded whale. Would hate to have a crowd of people trying to shove me back into the water thinking they were saving me. :lol: So when we go to the beaches now it is for different reasons. The restaurants, the scenery, visiting new places. You know, the stuff us old farts like to do. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

When I was younger I was at the beach at every opportunity to swim and party. Typically OC up through Bethany. Loved the swimming, fishing, crabbing, night clubbing, etc... But now that I have gotten older I really don't drink that much nor night club at all. The fishing and crabbing is nowhere what it used to be and as far as swimming I forgo that now because I don't want to be mistaken for a grounded whale. Would hate to have a crowd of people trying to shove me back into the water thinking they were saving me. :lol: So when we go to the beaches now it is for different reasons. The restaurants, the scenery, visiting new places. You know, the stuff us old farts like to do. :) 

I hear ya, I am LMAO here.  :)

Yeah, some spots the crabs might be toxic.   That is sad.  

Back in the day I crab in North Wildwood, bring they home to my grandmother and she make a crab marinara with linguine , to die for ! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, frd said:

I hear ya, I am LMAO here.  :)

Yeah, some spots the crabs might be toxic.   That is sad.  

Back in the day I crab in North Wildwood, bring they home to my grandmother and she make a crab marinara with linguine , to die for ! 

When I was a kid I used to crab near the Key Bridge with my uncle, pretty close to Beth Steel. Talk about big (toxic) crabs. Ahh to be young and dumb.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

When I was a kid I used to crab near the Key Bridge with my uncle, pretty close to Beth Steel. Talk about big (toxic) crabs. Ahh to be young and dumb.

At least your still alive. 

I did a lot of foolish things in my youth too , we all did.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

Jackson Hole update:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nGDEuSCB1Qf4JpxM9

Storm verifying! The video doesn't do this justice. This taken at top of Tram at summit 10,450 feet. 2 feet fresh powder and snow++ with 40 to 50 mph sustained.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Can’t open the video but you’re chasing? The videos never do it justice. Be safe and enjoy!

Can’t open the video but you’re chasing? The videos never do it justice. Be safe and enjoy!
Not chasing it was a ski trip and I got very lucky. Video should open its a shared upload link to Google. It was raw power. So impressive. Back at base still big storm but not like it is at 10,400 feet.

I don’t fly too often, is there a threshold for flights getting cancelled for ground wind speed?  Leaving BWI tomorrow with little kids around 11am.  Was wondering if the wind advisory will ruin our chances of taking off on time?  

11 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I don’t fly too often, is there a threshold for flights getting cancelled for ground wind speed?  Leaving BWI tomorrow with little kids around 11am.  Was wondering if the wind advisory will ruin our chances of being on time.  

yes there are, but wind affects  aircraft landing attributes much more substantially.  Cross wind components differ for every type of aircraft.  I wouldn't worry about the departure, Id worry about the arrival phase of flight.  the whole east coast to Chicago is going to be a mess tomorrow with wind.  Here is the TAF forecast for BWI for 14z/11am, they are expecting wind to be out of the west at 280 @ 19kts gust 40kts.  But you are in luck, one of BWI's main runways is lined up directly with the wind  Rwy 28 which Im 100% postive will be the active Rwy for departures anyway. 

image.png

13 minutes ago, PCT_ATC said:

yes there are, but wind affects  aircraft landing attributes much more substantially.  Cross wind components differ for every type of aircraft.  I wouldn't worry about the departure, Id worry about the arrival phase of flight.  the whole east coast to Chicago is going to be a mess tomorrow with wind.  Here is the TAF forecast for BWI for 14z/11am, they are expecting wind to be out of the west at 280 @ 19kts gust 40kts.  But you are in luck, one of BWI's main runways is lined up directly with the wind  Rwy 28 which Im 100% postive will be the active Rwy for departures anyway. 

image.png

Thanks, that helps.  I suppose I still have to worry about the plane arriving at our gate though.  Taking the kids to Disney and I’m already nervous about flying with super young kids, delays will be tough.   

6 hours ago, nj2va said:

Do you like the egg?  Been thinking about getting one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Probably a dumb question, but do you use that as your primary grill too (i.e. hamburgers/etc)?  Or should I keep the Weber for those things?

I really like it. It was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law who didn’t really used it all that often. In-laws shipped it up from HHI in the fall and I’ve done a couple butts, a few chickens, and a Christmas turkey since then.

The only direct cook I’ve done is one dinner of steaks, and they were damn good. I use my Weber for my other grilling because of the convenience factor. We might do more Egg cooks in the future, but for now propane does a more-than-acceptable job for direct cooking.

Today’s butt had a massive second stall at 185. Even pumping the temp to 350 didn’t move it, but after 45 minutes to an hour it finally budged and made its way slowly to 200. So a total cook time of 10.25 hours...which is *way* too long, and meant we had to go to Plan B for dinner! :devilsmiley: :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, birdsofprey02 said:

Thanks, that helps.  I suppose I still have to worry about the plane arriving at our gate though.  Taking the kids to Disney and I’m already nervous about flying with super young kids, delays will be tough.   

you should be good to go @mco!  wind out of the north 15 to 20 kts   no issues

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I really like it. It was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law who didn’t really used it all that often. In-laws shipped it up from HHI in the fall and I’ve done a couple butts, a few chickens, and a Christmas turkey since then.

The only direct cook I’ve done is one dinner of steaks, and they were damn good. I use my Weber for my other grilling because of the convenience factor. We might do more Egg cooks in the future, but for now propane does a more-than-acceptable job for direct cooking.

Today’s butt had a massive second stall at 185. Even pumping the temp to 350 didn’t move it, but after 45 minutes to an hour it finally budged and made its way slowly to 200. So a total cook time of 10.25 hours...which is *way* too long, and meant we had to go to Plan B for dinner! :devilsmiley: :lol:

Yeah it seems like Egg + propane is a good combo considering the ease that propane provides on a weeknight.  And wow, over 10 hours for a butt...at least you got lunch for the week. ;) 

Also, I spend too much time talking weather....at first glance, I mistook HHI for UHI (urban heat island) and thought they shipped it from DC...then I realized that’s Hilton Head.  Sigh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

Not chasing it was a ski trip and I got very lucky. Video should open its a shared upload link to Google. It was raw power. So impressive. Back at base still big storm but not like it is at 10,400 feet.

Just saw the video

YASSSS that's what I'm talking about! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mattie g said:

I’ve got a pork butt smoking away today. Took the wee one out to get the Egg set up at the crack of dawn and got the meat on at 8:15 am. Feels great to get back to it again!

E06CCFAF-3EC8-4EBA-A3D1-C951BA1D508F.jpeg.0045bf0fa0d02021a3426d6012012942.jpeg09521572-D769-4E88-A9F7-CB0758751089.jpeg.48341512e4ec74a492959581f7dfaad2.jpeg

Nice! Do you have a go to rub @mattie g?

11 hours ago, mattie g said:

The stall is so unpredictable and has caused me to go to Plan B few times over past years to avoid an hangry family. Recently I’ve started just putting on around midnight and letting cook overnight and then wrapping in foil/towel in cooler for few hours. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain which isn’t as solid as the egg but does good job maintaining temps

Check out amazingribs.com site if haven’t already. Some good recipes on there

22 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Nice! Do you have a go to rub @mattie g?

Honestly...this is only my second butt, but for the first one I made a rup based on a recipe I found online (can't remember which site right now). It has the pretty standard ingredients of brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, chipotle pawder garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, etc. It was really nice then, so I went to it again. If you want the recipe, I'll dig it up later.

14 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

The stall is so unpredictable and has caused me to go to Plan B few times over past years to avoid an hangry family. Recently I’ve started just putting on around midnight and letting cook overnight and then wrapping in foil/towel in cooler for few hours. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain which isn’t as solid as the egg but does good job maintaining temps

Check out amazingribs.com site if haven’t already. Some good recipes on there

I hear ya.

What's annoying about this stall is that it was a second one. This one stalled at about 155-160 for a good couple hours, but then moved slowly and steadily until 180, when it really slowed, and then just stopped dead at 185 despite cranking the temp. It was already a moderate cook, and that stall and the slow rise out of the 180s killed my timing. I was cooking at 270-275 and banked on 8-9 hours, but that second stall took things over the edge. And while the wife, my 6-year-old, and I can hold off for an extra hour for dinner, the 17-month-old needs to have dinner and get up to bed in good time!

I think I'll be starting a couple hours earlier from now on and will foil/towel/cooler for a couple hours, as you mentioned, if needed.

Might have to try a packer brisket next. Gotta start sometime, right?

• Like 1