Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2019

George BM

16 hours ago, snownut said:

Looks like the snow pack around Crater Lake here in OR.  No place in the lower 48 can get the insane snow amounts like the west coast mountains when the Pacific Faucet is turned on.  

When son decided almost 5 years ago that he wanted to move west to 'snow' the Bend OR area was one of the two on the list. He picked the Breckenridge CO area instead.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Saw this on CWG.  This is near Tahoe.  The guy is 5’10”.  

CFB8D7C9-3DCF-410A-B3AB-1BECFE2E5752.jpeg

Not bad.....    Lived in Japan for a few years.  They can get insane amounts of snow on the windward side of Honshu (the big island).   Below is just an example...   Went skiing at Zao, where they are famous for their "snow monsters", which are actually the snow encrusted tops of pine trees barely sticking out of the top of the snowpack.  Even with large snowblowers, they are challenged to clear the roads.  The blowers can't throw the snow over the top lip of the valleys.  It's pretty amazing to drive through. 

image.jpg

On 2/28/2019 at 6:55 AM, wxdude64 said:

When son decided almost 5 years ago that he wanted to move west to 'snow' the Bend OR area was one of the two on the list. He picked the Breckenridge CO area instead.

Colorado was not an option for me when we decided to move from Virginia as my wife would only be in state that touched the ocean.  CA was too expensive in every way and WA taxes are nuts so OR was my only choice really.  No regrets, it has been a blast living here and career #2 is going well. 

Biggest complaint, when wildfire season kicks in the smoke can be awful.  2 of my summers there were just a couple days with smoke. 2 years ago the smoke lasted for a month, August into September.  That was the worst! Last year on and off for a few weeks. 

I am sure your son is loving Breckenridge. How has his snow season been? I am sure he can confirm the profound effect of elevation on snow amounts. 

I had 30" of snow this week. Record breaking for our town.  Camera phone picture of my street this morning looking toward Mt Bachelor.  It was zero degrees this morning!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

This winter has been tough on my youngest. She has severe anxiety and it is triggered by change. She is a very scheduled kid and she actually told me yesterday, after I told her about this possible storm tomorrow, that she just wants a full week of school. 

aww poor thing. :( 

@showmethesnow I’m not pessimistic about seeing snow. I think it’s almost a guarantee we see multiple more snows. And a very good chance we see another 10” maybe more. Problem is I have a feeling it’s all going to come 2-3” at a time when all I want is one 8”+ storm. I’d rather 8” that falls at once than 20” more than comes 2-4” at a time. I’ve had enough of the fringes. I want one flush crush and I keep waiting for one of these threats to step up and trend towards that and they continue to trend to side swipes. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow I’m not pessimistic about seeing snow. I think it’s almost a guarantee we see multiple more snows. And a very good chance we see another 10” maybe more. Problem is I have a feeling it’s all going to come 2-3” at a time when all I want is one 8”+ storm. I’d rather 8” that falls at once than 20” more than comes 2-4” at a time. I’ve had enough of the fringes. I want one flush crush and I keep waiting for one of these threats to step up and trend towards that and they continue to trend to side swipes. 

Kind of agree with you here for the rest of the way this winter, though I wouldn't mind quite as much getting a couple of "smaller" events if that's all we can do.  But yeah, my preference would be for one more solid warning-level event (area wide, so we're all happy) with days of fun tracking it.  Followed by a couple nice, cold days perhaps.  After that, I'd be fine if we're done and bring on spring gradually after about mid-month.  I've about had enough 35 and rain days.  And am in no rush to see 90s (they'll be here soon and often enough!).

6 hours ago, RDM said:

Not bad.....    Lived in Japan for a few years.  They can get insane amounts of snow on the windward side of Honshu (the big island).   Below is just an example...   Went skiing at Zao, where they are famous for their "snow monsters", which are actually the snow encrusted tops of pine trees barely sticking out of the top of the snowpack.  Even with large snowblowers, they are challenged to clear the roads.  The blowers can't throw the snow over the top lip of the valleys.  It's pretty amazing to drive through. 

image.jpg

Son just got back from there last week!!! Yes, he has a 'problem' with snow, maybe more than I do. lol

3 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Son just got back from there last week!!! Yes, he has a 'problem' with snow, maybe more than I do. lol

Got back from where?   Japan, or did he go to Zao and/or Naeba or someplace else skiing?  Skied Fuji san way back in 1997 just before our daughter was born.  Climbed it with two other guys.  They shredded the downhill run on snowboards and I was on telemark skis.  Pretty steep at the top and nothing to stop you if you fell.  Was a spectacular day with unlimited visibility.  Never forget it...

32 minutes ago, RDM said:

Got back from where?   Japan, or did he go to Zao and/or Naeba or someplace else skiing?  Skied Fuji san way back in 1997 just before our daughter was born.  Climbed it with two other guys.  They shredded the downhill run on snowboards and I was on telemark skis.  Pretty steep at the top and nothing to stop you if you fell.  Was a spectacular day with unlimited visibility.  Never forget it...

He went snowboarding at Hakuba Happoone in Japan, sorry about that.