• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

February Banter 2019

55 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I've had 4"/hr rates twice in my entire life. 4.25"/hr in the crazy thundersnow, deathband in the 2006 coastal, and Feb 2013 in Boston for the blizzard (Nemo) up there. 4"/hr was the max up there, but we had 3 separate 3"/hr bands. It was nutty. 

My chase to the Nemo storm was soooooo worth it . As a kid I remember in 83' being a snow globe look for hours.  I think Allentown, Pa saw 5-6" per hour in 83.

I think there was lightning in 83 as well 

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

My chase to the Nemo storm was soooooo worth it . As a kid I remember in 83' being a snow globe look for hours.  I think Allentown, Pa saw 5-6" per hour in 83

No question that storm was worth it. One of the better blizzards I may ever see. I was positioned in Waltham, Mass, just west of Boston and the loop. Watching those bands on radar come into the region one after the other was a site to behold. My dad talks about '83. Said it's still to this day the biggest flakes he has ever seen. 

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I could go on about that storm for hours.  The forecast was for 2 - 4" in PG county where I lived and it came at the end of a stretch of really cold, dry pattern.  I was ice skating on St. Leonard's creek down in @PrinceFrederickWx's area on Sunday.  The ice was well over a foot thick on the half mile wide creek, but my sister and I had to come off the ice when the tide came up.  Water was coming up and over the ice along the shore, which was probably how it got so thick in the first place.

Anyway, snow started falling by about 3PM and by the time we got home that evening, there was already two inches on the ground.  I went out to shovel thinking half had already fallen, but when I woke up the next morning and turned on my weather radio, I heard the real voice saying, "Roanoke, 14", Culpepper, 16", ..." 

It was still before sunrise, but I jumped out of bed and could see that our two-rung wooden fence was almost one rung because the snow was so deep.  Right around sunrise Monday morning was when the rates got the best.  Definitely my favorite storm of all time.  Probably because it was my first blizzard and the first really big snow in DC in years.

That's gotta be a really stunning moment.... I wish there was good footage of those rates but 1979 was such a long time ago. Speaking of which, it's now been exactly 40 years since the evening you shoveled.

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

No question that storm was worth it. One of the better blizzards I may ever see. I was positioned in Waltham, Mass, just west of Boston and the loop. Watching those bands on radar come into the region one after the other was a site to behold. My dad talks about '83. Said it's still to this day the biggest flakes he has ever seen. 

I was in east central Connecticut for Nemo . I saw 2-3" hr easy.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

That's gotta be a really stunning moment.... I wish there was good footage of those rates but 1979 was such a long time ago. Speaking of which, it's now been exactly 40 years since the evening you shoveled.

Damn. I am old!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I could go on about that storm for hours.  The forecast was for 2 - 4" in PG county where I lived and it came at the end of a stretch of really cold, dry pattern.  I was ice skating on St. Leonard's creek down in @PrinceFrederickWx's area on Sunday.  The ice was well over a foot thick on the half mile wide creek, but my sister and I had to come off the ice when the tide came up.  Water was coming up and over the ice along the shore, which was probably how it got so thick in the first place.

Anyway, snow started falling by about 3PM and by the time we got home that evening, there was already two inches on the ground.  I went out to shovel thinking half had already fallen, but when I woke up the next morning and turned on my weather radio, I heard the real voice saying, "Roanoke, 14", Culpepper, 16", ..." 

It was still before sunrise, but I jumped out of bed and could see that our two-rung wooden fence was almost one rung because the snow was so deep.  Right around sunrise Monday morning was when the rates got the best.  Definitely my favorite storm of all time.  Probably because it was my first blizzard and the first really big snow in DC in years.

I wasn’t born yet for that storm, but my mother (who has lived in Maryland all her life) tells me nothing compares to that storm. She and I have actually been trying for some time to locate photos she took during that storm and afterwards, but we currently haven’t been able to find them. If we ever do find them I will post some here.

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

My chase to the Nemo storm was soooooo worth it . As a kid I remember in 83' being a snow globe look for hours.  I think Allentown, Pa saw 5-6" per hour in 83.

I think there was lightning in 83 as well 

Same here. I was in Uxbridge, which was about halfway between Providence and Worcester. Right around sunset it started getting heavy and I went on a jebwalk with AmyB. It was a stunning snow globe, and I think we were out for over an hour. Based on the look of her porch and her bench from before and after, I think we had 3-4"/hour rates. The storm total ended up around 27". That jebwalk was probably one of my greatest memories of winter weather... it was incredible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

Same here. I was in Uxbridge, which was about halfway between Providence and Worcester. Right around sunset it started getting heavy and I went on a jebwalk with AmyB. It was a stunning snow globe, and I think we were out for over an hour. Based on the look of her porch and her bench from before and after, I think we had 3-4"/hour rates. The storm total ended up around 27". That jebwalk was probably one of my greatest memories of winter weather... it was incredible. 

My location was around 24" but just literally 25 Miles east I think I recall hearing 36" +

5 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I wasn’t born yet for that storm, but my mother (who has lived in Maryland all her life) tells me nothing compares to that storm. She and I have actually been trying for some time to locate photos she took during that storm and afterwards, but we currently haven’t been able to find them. If we ever do find them I will post some here.

I have some and even newspaper clippings. I’ll dig them out during my off day Wednesday 

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

My location was around 24" but just literally 25 Miles east I think I recall hearing 36" +

There was 40" between New Haven and Stamford along I-95. We came back home the night after the storm ended and we cut down 95 to get home. It looked like a bomb went off. Cars stranded in the middle of the road with well over a foot in spots on 95. They were using multiple plows and front end loaders just to clear I-95 it was so bad. 

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Yuck, LWX is taking my snow north. Good thing we have precedent for a south trend given Saturday. Atmospheric memory, or something.

StormTotalSnow.png

3-4 is madness. 4-8 is more likely. just my 2 cents 

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

There was 40" between New Haven and Stamford along I-95. We came back home the night after the storm ended and we cut down 95 to get home. It looked like a bomb went off. Cars stranded in the middle of the road with well over a foot in spots on 95. They were using multiple plows and front end loaders just to clear I-95 it was so bad. 

Yea...I remember now . Incredible!!. I barely was able to get home.  Shoveled for 6 hours at my hotel but nothin was keeping my F350 diesel snowed in:scooter:

Doesn't beat 96 ' though . I spent 15 hours shoveling 32"-36" out . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I took the train home, and stayed an extra day because Amtrak wasn't running the day after the storm. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...I remember now . Incredible!!. I barely was able to get home.  Shoveled for 6 hours at my hotel but nothin was keeping my F350 diesel snowed in:scooter:

I remember 1979. I was 5 years old and recall making snow caves in the piles of snow. 

• Like 1

Just now, adelphi_sky said:

I remember 1979. I was 5 years old and recall making snow caves in the piles of snow. 

That's funny...so was I. I remember my dad digging tunnels for me in Baltimore city . Small world 

29 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I think Leesburg remembers it too.  He grew up in the same area.

Grew up in Takoma park Maryland I remember waking up to look out the window expecting just a little and the stuff was up over the bottom of the window. Loved it

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

dang I really set people off with the 4” rates. I should know better

Lol something tells me you’re not the problem.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I regret nothing I said, it's the fact that it took over the conversation. So yeah, not me I guess. It was too cool not to share

It wasn’t you at all lol

• Like 1

This is the Max snowfall by NOAA.  posted 6:40

Look at the difference from the north western part of this county compared to the southern part!

:blink:  :lmao: 15 inches vs 5 inches in just a few miles

SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

24 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Yes! We had snow caves too! Seemed like they were around for a few weeks

16 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Grew up in Takoma park Maryland I remember waking up to look out the window expecting just a little and the stuff was up over the bottom of the window. Loved it

I was in Kettering 

@showmethesnow you better be posting tomorrow morning at 4am  or I'm shoveling all your snow and sleet from your lawn , deck ,and roof into the back of my F350 and peeling wheels out of there leaving you with just mud by Thursday :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 3