Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Again this is not unlike a sports or political forum. You have your experts...your knowledgeable people....people trying to learn...comedians...attention seekers...whiners....just block out the noise and do your thing. The board is amazing when we are legit tracking a storm. When the pattern sucks...or our patience for a pattern change is tried its frustrating. I mean if you are on the board to track snow and there is no snow in sight...its easy to get sucked into other topics lol. But there is still really good discussion overall. The majority of posts are still good or funny. There are really good posters on this board. Leaving is just silly unless you leave like I leave...once winter ends...i dont post till the next winter!

Yeh I don’t typically post around here because I really bring no value lol, but given how crappy tracking has been I figured what the heck ain’t much else going on.

I think the vibe of the board is more so based on how the winter is going not so much the quality of posts. Folkscan say it wasn’t that bad of winter given we almost at climo, but I think we all agree it hasn’t been a fun winter 

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Winter is my silly season because snow makes us crazy. I’m definitely looking forward to serious analysis and hard hitting reporting from the front lines in the other three seasons. 

Thinking of heading to the Midwest again this spring but not sure I can afford it. 

I'm kind of with you on this. I'll take snow and ice when I can get it, but Spring and Summer events are as exciting as anything. Tropical is the best. March 2 2018 wind event was my highlight last year

2 hours ago, Ji said:

Again this is not unlike a sports or political forum. You have your experts...your knowledgeable people....people trying to learn...comedians...attention seekers...whiners....just block out the noise and do your thing. The board is amazing when we are legit tracking a storm. When the pattern sucks...or our patience for a pattern change is tried its frustrating. I mean if you are on the board to track snow and there is no snow in sight...its easy to get sucked into other topics lol. But there is still really good discussion overall. The majority of posts are still good or funny. There are really good posters on this board. Leaving is just silly unless you leave like I leave...once winter ends...i dont post till the next winter!

This is where I am. Yea some are annoying but I can easily tune it out. But I don’t want to see the better posters like chill walk away.  If that keeps happening this place won’t be as good anymore and the clowns will run the show. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

This is where I am. Yea some are annoying but I can easily tune it out. But I don’t want to see the better posters like chill walk away.  If that keeps happening this place won’t be as good anymore and the clowns will run the show. 

Everyone is different. I have higher tolerance for the silly and whiny shit overall. I mostly ignore it. The "good ol days" of this forum are gone, so anyone that's clinging to that needs to move beyond it and accept its just different now. Everything changes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Did Chill leave or just taking a fishing break?

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Lol you ain't kidding. And I know this is a fail scenario for here 9 times out of 10, other than a quick inch of slop to rain. Not a single thing weather wise to track right now other than this crap though, and who knows, it could end up the 10% where a legit thump happens before the flip.

Didn’t want to deb up the storm thread so asking this here. Since your kind of already seeing this as a likely crap ending maybe you see what I see.  Isn’t this kind of evolving exactly like last week did?  From range it looked like it could track under us. There were some big hit looks. Then the primary evolved into a cutter but with the 50/50 we shifted to hope of a front thump. But that slowly degraded to a more climo look. 

Not saying this ends as bad. North of Baltimore did ok so some small shift and maybe it’s a better result. Just saying this is depressingly similar even with our shift to decreased expectations as the look degraded.  And it’s the same general storm track we’ve had since mid January with every major wave. Take away the crazy 50/50 and this would be a big rainstorm.  In hindsight what we hoped was a transition ended up being the dominant pattern of the second half of winter. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Didn’t want to deb up the storm thread so asking this here. Since your kind of already seeing this as a likely crap ending maybe you see what I see.  Isn’t this kind of evolving exactly like last week did?  From range it looked like it could track under us. There were some big hit looks. Then the primary evolved into a cutter but with the 50/50 we shifted to hope of a front thump. But that slowly degraded to a more climo look. 

Not saying this ends as bad. North of Baltimore did ok so some small shift and maybe it’s a better result. Just saying this is depressingly similar even with our shift to decreased expectations as the look degraded.  And it’s the same general storm track we’ve had since mid January with every major wave. Take away the crazy 50/50 and this would be a big rainstorm.  In hindsight what we hoped was a transition ended up being the dominant pattern of the second half of winter. 

I agree with this but my take is that we never got that storm to under 100 hours with the good look.  It had deep cad runs into NC before that quickly degraded for us near the cities.  This one, and the 12z gfs is showing cad pushing down past Richmond as precip moves in makes this in my eyes a little better.  Will it be a 6” thump for all? No but I think this one has more potential than last week.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I still can’t believe I was out of town AND missed a 40” snowfall like 20 miles to my west. 

I like the other seasons. Spring brings nice outdoors wx with some severe. Summer brings me big heat (sometimes) with long days and severe. Fall brings the return of football, cooler wx, and tropical, not to mention the return of coastal season. There’s a lot in the other seasons. I’m a year round weenie.

Winter would easily be my favorite season if every winter was like 2009-10 or 2013-14. But most of the time, they're a struggle... so I can't really figure out which season is my favorite.

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I always expect a crap ending when there is a deep trough out west and a bulging SE ridge lol. Based on yesterday's runs, I thought well maybe that big ass vortex could compress the flow, enhance the High and give us some real deal CAD that would hold as we got thumped with WAA precip. The thump has all but disappeared. Its pretty much falling apart today, as expected honestly. Up your way maybe you see a few inches of snow/sleet then some ice, somewhat like last week, but I am sure you are getting tired of that outcome lol.

21 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Winter would easily be my favorite season if every winter was like 2009-10 or 2013-14. But most of the time, they're a struggle... so I can't really figure out which season is my favorite.

That’s why someday I’m moving somewhere that every winter is like that. Colorado has the added bonus of great outdoor activities, skiing, hiking, rafting, fishing etc. 

I would miss the HECS events. Nothing is like those. But in another 15 years or so I think I’ll be ready to hang that up and just be somewhere that has snow 90% of the time from Thanksgiving to Easter and not worry about any one storm anymore. Might even root for the warm sunny days then lol. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I agree with this but my take is that we never got that storm to under 100 hours with the good look.  It had deep cad runs into NC before that quickly degraded for us near the cities.  This one, and the 12z gfs is showing cad pushing down past Richmond as precip moves in makes this in my eyes a little better.  Will it be a 6” thump for all? No but I think this one has more potential than last week.

I agree this has more potential in DC. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s why someday I’m moving somewhere that every winter is like that. Colorado has the added bonus of great outdoor activities, skiing, hiking, rafting, fishing etc. 

I would miss the HECS events. Nothing is like those. But in another 15 years or so I think I’ll be ready to hang that up and just be somewhere that has snow 90% of the time from Thanksgiving to Easter and not worry about any one storm anymore. Might even root for the warm sunny days then lol. 

The problem with Denver, Boulder, and Grand Junction is that they often warm up and their snow melts as quickly as it does here. But they do have access to much better mountains than we do. The ski towns are amazing, but they're also very expensive and I'm not sure if they have a lot of non-ski jobs.

Northern New England would be very nice. Not as good skiing as Colorado, but they do get the big east coast storms, and they get them much more often than we do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I always expect a crap ending when there is a deep trough out west and a bulging SE ridge lol. Based on yesterday's runs, I thought well maybe that big ass vortex could compress the flow, enhance the High and give us some real deal CAD that would hold as we got thumped with WAA precip. The thump has all but disappeared. Its pretty much falling apart today, as expected honestly. Up your way maybe you see a few inches of snow/sleet then some ice, somewhat like last week, but I am sure you are getting tired of that outcome lol.

Yes. That’s been the MO up here all winter since the flip in early January. 

I hate to sound spoiled and ungrateful but it snows up here pretty much every winter. Even in total crap years. Getting less than ~20” is a once every 20 years type fail and even in those years usually it’s at least ~10”. What I love about up here is that most years we can count on at least one coastal crush 8”+ snowstorm. This year has been non stop small events or snow to ice to rain. I’d rather not lose any more trees and at this point if I’m not going to get that one dynamic snow event I’d rather just move on to next year. 

But that’s just me and I’ll still track and keep that crap out of the main thread. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes. That’s been the MO up here all winter since the flip in early January. 

I hate to sound spoiled and ungrateful but it snows up here pretty much every winter. Even in total crap years. Getting less than ~20” is a once every 20 years type fail and even in those years usually it’s at least ~10”. What I love about up here is that most years we can count on at least one coastal crush 8”+ snowstorm. This year has been non stop small events or snow to ice to rain. I’d rather not lose any more trees and at this point if I’m not going to get that one dynamic snow event I’d rather just move on to next year. 

But that’s just me and I’ll still track and keep that crap out of the main thread. 

If I get another half inch of snow before it flips to rain I will leap into double digit snowfall territory! So there's that, lol.

14 minutes ago, Fozz said:

The problem with Denver, Boulder, and Grand Junction is that they often warm up and their snow melts as quickly as it does here. But they do have access to much better mountains than we do. The ski towns are amazing, but they're also very expensive and I'm not sure if they have a lot of non-ski jobs.

It’s mostly a “retirement” plan. There are some more affordable places near ski towns. Outside steamboat or in Leadville which is close to Vail and Copper. Once I get my state pension I can work part time at some resort and be fine.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s mostly a “retirement” plan. There are some more affordable places near ski towns. Outside steamboat or in Leadville which is close to Vail and Copper. Once I get my state pension I can work part time at some resort and be fine.  

Sounds like a great plan. You'll never have to worry about La Nina or the NAO.

20 hours ago, mappy said:

...people... snip at you. i get it, i deal with it too. i guess tho me being a woman means its okay to call me names and such instead of just... you know, debating me over something. whatever. glad its easy for you....

The lack of snow is absolutely in any possible manner not a problem at all compared to the people with hostility towards women.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

That shirt must get you death glares in Carroll county lol...

Lol this is the least antagonistic shirt I have. Was a gift from someone. When I’m in the mood to mix it up with the locals I’ll throw on one of my more inflammatory ones and just go out around town.  I used to try to lay low and not get into it...then between some of the abhorrent outright blatant racist things people have said to me...and the death threats I got after I started a protest campaign that ended up in the paper and forced Manchester stop displaying the confederate flag at our official fire dept fair...I decided F it I’m going the other way and throwing it in their faces!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

That shirt must get you death glares in Carroll county lol...

One of my neighbors has a confederate encampment in his yard and walks around wearing a confederate battle hat and a shirt that says Robert E Lee...if you aren’t with us you’re against us.  Lol.  

If he can do that I should be able to wear any shirt I want. My other “sane” neighbor was messing with him recently. He isn’t actually moving but he told him he was and that he was showing the property to prospective buyers that evening knowing it would drive him crazy when he saw they were African American.  Everyone played along. Even walked them around the property pointing at stuff to make it seem they were scouting it out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol this is the least antagonistic shirt I have. Was a gift from someone. When I’m in the mood to mix it up with the locals I’ll throw on one of my more inflammatory ones and just go out around town.  I used to try to lay low and not get into it...then between some of the abhorrent outright blatant racist things people have said to me...and the death threats I got after I started a protest campaign that ended up in the paper and forced Manchester stop displaying the confederate flag at our official fire dept fair...I decided F it I’m going the other way and throwing it in their faces!!!

I'm a lot more low key than you lol. however I won't take any of the sh@t either. They automatically think everyone agrees with their beliefs so when I go against it they cant stand it. On the day of the presidential election, as I was walking into Manchester valley high school to vote a bunch of locals say to me " I hope you're voting for Trump " my response was " I HOPE YOU'RE NOT ". 

I wish you could see the expression on some of their faces when they find out I'm half Jewish. I love it. I could go on forever with the stories but this really isn't the right platform for this but you already know the drill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I'm a lot more low key than you lol. however I won't take any of the sh@t either. They automatically think everyone agrees with their beliefs so when I go against it they cant stand it. On the day of the presidential election, as I was walking into Manchester valley high school to vote a bunch of locals say to me " I hope you're voting for Trump " my response was " I HOPE YOU'RE NOT ". 

I wish you could see the expression on some of their faces when they find out I'm half Jewish. I love it. I could go on forever with the stories but this really isn't the right platform for this but you already know the drill.

I see Carroll county hasn't changed much since I lived there lol. Ira T. Barnes ring a bell?

Of course Caroline county is probably worse :lol: