Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

Jackson Hole update:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nGDEuSCB1Qf4JpxM9

Storm verifying! The video doesn't do this justice. This taken at top of Tram at summit 10,450 feet. 2 feet fresh powder and snow++ with 40 to 50 mph sustained.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Wow!  Enjoy it man

• Like 1

Can’t open the video but you’re chasing? The videos never do it justice. Be safe and enjoy!
Not chasing it was a ski trip and I got very lucky. Video should open its a shared upload link to Google. It was raw power. So impressive. Back at base still big storm but not like it is at 10,400 feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

I don’t fly too often, is there a threshold for flights getting cancelled for ground wind speed?  Leaving BWI tomorrow with little kids around 11am.  Was wondering if the wind advisory will ruin our chances of being on time.  

yes there are, but wind affects  aircraft landing attributes much more substantially.  Cross wind components differ for every type of aircraft.  I wouldn't worry about the departure, Id worry about the arrival phase of flight.  the whole east coast to Chicago is going to be a mess tomorrow with wind.  Here is the TAF forecast for BWI for 14z/11am, they are expecting wind to be out of the west at 280 @ 19kts gust 40kts.  But you are in luck, one of BWI's main runways is lined up directly with the wind  Rwy 28 which Im 100% postive will be the active Rwy for departures anyway. 

image.png

13 minutes ago, PCT_ATC said:

yes there are, but wind affects  aircraft landing attributes much more substantially.  Cross wind components differ for every type of aircraft.  I wouldn't worry about the departure, Id worry about the arrival phase of flight.  the whole east coast to Chicago is going to be a mess tomorrow with wind.  Here is the TAF forecast for BWI for 14z/11am, they are expecting wind to be out of the west at 280 @ 19kts gust 40kts.  But you are in luck, one of BWI's main runways is lined up directly with the wind  Rwy 28 which Im 100% postive will be the active Rwy for departures anyway. 

image.png

Thanks, that helps.  I suppose I still have to worry about the plane arriving at our gate though.  Taking the kids to Disney and I’m already nervous about flying with super young kids, delays will be tough.   

6 hours ago, nj2va said:

Do you like the egg?  Been thinking about getting one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Probably a dumb question, but do you use that as your primary grill too (i.e. hamburgers/etc)?  Or should I keep the Weber for those things?

I really like it. It was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law who didn’t really used it all that often. In-laws shipped it up from HHI in the fall and I’ve done a couple butts, a few chickens, and a Christmas turkey since then.

The only direct cook I’ve done is one dinner of steaks, and they were damn good. I use my Weber for my other grilling because of the convenience factor. We might do more Egg cooks in the future, but for now propane does a more-than-acceptable job for direct cooking.

Today’s butt had a massive second stall at 185. Even pumping the temp to 350 didn’t move it, but after 45 minutes to an hour it finally budged and made its way slowly to 200. So a total cook time of 10.25 hours...which is *way* too long, and meant we had to go to Plan B for dinner! :devilsmiley: :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, birdsofprey02 said:

Thanks, that helps.  I suppose I still have to worry about the plane arriving at our gate though.  Taking the kids to Disney and I’m already nervous about flying with super young kids, delays will be tough.   

you should be good to go @mco!  wind out of the north 15 to 20 kts   no issues

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I really like it. It was a hand-me-down from my father-in-law who didn’t really used it all that often. In-laws shipped it up from HHI in the fall and I’ve done a couple butts, a few chickens, and a Christmas turkey since then.

The only direct cook I’ve done is one dinner of steaks, and they were damn good. I use my Weber for my other grilling because of the convenience factor. We might do more Egg cooks in the future, but for now propane does a more-than-acceptable job for direct cooking.

Today’s butt had a massive second stall at 185. Even pumping the temp to 350 didn’t move it, but after 45 minutes to an hour it finally budged and made its way slowly to 200. So a total cook time of 10.25 hours...which is *way* too long, and meant we had to go to Plan B for dinner! :devilsmiley: :lol:

Yeah it seems like Egg + propane is a good combo considering the ease that propane provides on a weeknight.  And wow, over 10 hours for a butt...at least you got lunch for the week. ;) 

Also, I spend too much time talking weather....at first glance, I mistook HHI for UHI (urban heat island) and thought they shipped it from DC...then I realized that’s Hilton Head.  Sigh.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mattie g said:

The stall is so unpredictable and has caused me to go to Plan B few times over past years to avoid an hangry family. Recently I’ve started just putting on around midnight and letting cook overnight and then wrapping in foil/towel in cooler for few hours. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain which isn’t as solid as the egg but does good job maintaining temps

Check out amazingribs.com site if haven’t already. Some good recipes on there

22 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Nice! Do you have a go to rub @mattie g?

Honestly...this is only my second butt, but for the first one I made a rup based on a recipe I found online (can't remember which site right now). It has the pretty standard ingredients of brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, chipotle pawder garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, etc. It was really nice then, so I went to it again. If you want the recipe, I'll dig it up later.

14 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

The stall is so unpredictable and has caused me to go to Plan B few times over past years to avoid an hangry family. Recently I’ve started just putting on around midnight and letting cook overnight and then wrapping in foil/towel in cooler for few hours. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain which isn’t as solid as the egg but does good job maintaining temps

Check out amazingribs.com site if haven’t already. Some good recipes on there

I hear ya.

What's annoying about this stall is that it was a second one. This one stalled at about 155-160 for a good couple hours, but then moved slowly and steadily until 180, when it really slowed, and then just stopped dead at 185 despite cranking the temp. It was already a moderate cook, and that stall and the slow rise out of the 180s killed my timing. I was cooking at 270-275 and banked on 8-9 hours, but that second stall took things over the edge. And while the wife, my 6-year-old, and I can hold off for an extra hour for dinner, the 17-month-old needs to have dinner and get up to bed in good time!

I think I'll be starting a couple hours earlier from now on and will foil/towel/cooler for a couple hours, as you mentioned, if needed.

Might have to try a packer brisket next. Gotta start sometime, right?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What's annoying about this stall is that it was a second one. This one stalled at about 155-160 for a good couple hours, but then moved slowly and steadily until 180, when it really slowed, and then just stopped dead at 185 despite cranking the temp. It was already a moderate cook, and that stall and the slow rise out of the 180s killed my timing. I was cooking at 270-275 and banked on 8-9 hours, but that second stall took things over the edge. And while the wife, my 6-year-old, and I can hold off for an extra hour for dinner, the 17-month-old needs to have dinner and get up to bed in good time!

I think I'll be starting a couple hours earlier from now on and will foil/towel/cooler for a couple hours, as you mentioned, if needed.

Did you wrap when you hit the stall (i.e., Texas crutch), or did you do the whole thing unwrapped?  I don't think it makes as big a difference with pork as it does with brisket, but I will usually crutch if I'm cooking to a fixed time.  

Btw, be sure to check out Dizzy Pig in Manassas for your Egg needs (if you haven't already).  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

My home territory is having their own 2009-2010.  40-50" of snow in February in places S and SE of Minneapolis. 

My company's head quarters is in La Farge Wisconsin and they are getting blasted this winter. More coming

2 hours ago, Kingstonian said:

Did you wrap when you hit the stall (i.e., Texas crutch), or did you do the whole thing unwrapped?  I don't think it makes as big a difference with pork as it does with brisket, but I will usually crutch if I'm cooking to a fixed time.  

Btw, be sure to check out Dizzy Pig in Manassas for your Egg needs (if you haven't already).  

I let it ride without wrapping it. I really didn't think I would need to rush it at all since I left myself a good 9+ hours for a 6 lb butt, but i suppose I got burned by this one. Hopefully it's just an odd occurrence ince I'd hate to be left wanting like that on a regular basis. Are you suggesting that you shouldn't crutch a brisket?

I haven't been to Dizzy Pig yet, as there's an ACE near me that has all I need for now. but might have to check it out at some point.

Just now, mattie g said:

I let it ride without wrapping it. I really didn't think I would need to rush it at all since I left myself a good 9+ hours for a 6 lb butt, but i suppose I got burned by this one. Hopefully it's just an odd occurrence ince I'd hate to be left wanting like that on a regular basis. Are you suggesting that you shouldn't crutch a brisket?

I haven't been to Dizzy Pig yet, as there's an ACE near me that has all I need for now. but might have to check it out at some point.

It's only pork that I won't crutch if I'm not on a timetable.  I always crutch a brisket (in pink butcher paper preferably).  

Dizzy Pig is well worth a visit; in addition to Egg supplies they have a good assortment of specialty wood and I really like their rubs.  I almost never make my own anymore.  DizzyFest (the local Eggfest) is coming up the first weekend in May and is a great event (plus you get 10% off that day).  

1 hour ago, Kingstonian said:

It's only pork that I won't crutch if I'm not on a timetable.  I always crutch a brisket (in pink butcher paper preferably).  

Dizzy Pig is well worth a visit; in addition to Egg supplies they have a good assortment of specialty wood and I really like their rubs.  I almost never make my own anymore.  DizzyFest (the local Eggfest) is coming up the first weekend in May and is a great event (plus you get 10% off that day).  

Gotcha. I may have to make sure I have some butcher paper on hand for my first brisket.

I ordered wood online and probably paid too much, but I'll keep that in mind for the future. DizzyFest sounds like a good time! 

As for wood, I felled our plum tree last weekend, so I have a nice fresh source of fruitwood for the foreseeable future...

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

Honestly...this is only my second butt, but for the first one I made a rup based on a recipe I found online (can't remember which site right now). It has the pretty standard ingredients of brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, chipotle pawder garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, etc. It was really nice then, so I went to it again. If you want the recipe, I'll dig it up later.

I hear ya.

Yeh I never messed with the brisket because always figured I would f it up. I pretty much just stick to butts and ribs. I wish I had an egg tho, so I could make pizzas. I love them cook in the egg