Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

27 minutes ago, AdamHLG said:

For those that saw my post yesterday related to the Winter Storm Watch affecting my ski trip to Jackson Hole, it is now a Warning. I need to share this area forecast discussion with my home weather forum. For this to happen while I am here is just unthinkable to me as I am never lucky with storm timing. Read this lol. I assure you I will take a jeb walk for everyone. 07f115d346ee04d4f2a80ffa49669663.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You need any help diggin' out up there? I could probably drive up there from TX in a day and a half. I get up there, I will put your plows out of effin' business.

• Like 1

Sad day for the angling community in the region @Bob Chill and @jaydreb

4 Mile Run has a chemical spill :-/ And nobody is giving any answers as to why or where it's coming from or even if they are investigating.

1wsiuct.jpg

There goes my one winter fishing spot.

There's a ton of video of the sheen online and it's still pouring from a drain.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Sad day for the angling community in the region @Bob Chill and @jaydreb

4 Mile Run has a chemical spill :-/ And nobody is giving any answers as to why or where it's coming from or even if they are investigating.

1wsiuct.jpg

There goes my one winter fishing spot.

There's a ton of video of the sheen online and it's still pouring from a drain.

Yeah I was there yesterday.  Left after 20 mins.  The smell was terrible and there were booms in the water to contain the spill.  It’s a shame.  The good news is that in less than a month we shouldn’t need a winter fishing spot and we can go elsewhere.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yeah I was there yesterday.  Left after 20 mins.  The smell was terrible and there were booms in the water to contain the spill.  It’s a shame.  The good news is that in less than a month we shouldn’t need a winter fishing spot and we can go elsewhere.  

Can't wait. I tried hitting a small pond recently but got nothing.

45 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

It is the best winter fishing spot in DC bar none, given the warm water discharge.

Not sure how long you've lived in the area.  If you catch anything out of there, highly suggest catch and release.  Much of the area around 4-mile run is landfill, especially the lower reaches E of Shirley Hwy to Nat.  Much of that landfill is contaminated with god only knows what.  Remember when I moved here in the 80's all the foam that used to float down on the surface, especially ivo the treatment plant.  They tried various skimming techniques, but year after year it was an issue.  No doubt they must have some better technology these days, but.....  

5 minutes ago, RDM said:

Not sure how long you've lived in the area.  If you catch anything out of there, highly suggest catch and release.  Much of the area around 4-mile run is landfill, especially the lower reaches E of Shirley Hwy to Nat.  Much of that landfill is contaminated with god only knows what.  Remember when I moved here in the 80's all the foam that used to float down on the surface, especially ivo the treatment plant.  They tried various skimming techniques, but year after year it was an issue.  No doubt they must have some better technology these days, but.....  

Yeah.  Catch and release only for me.  Not eating anything out of there.  

24 minutes ago, RDM said:

I only catch and release anyway.

Just now, yoda said:

I have no idea.  That was an embarrassing and infuriating loss.  I dont care that we got a point.  That should have been a win.  Turrible 

At least the Caps lost 5-2 to Buffalo

that's a game you HAVE to win. Up 3-1 with 4 minutes left and you lose is embarrassing to say the least. Letang and Dumolin both getting hurt makes me nervous about the final stretch of the season :(

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yeah.  Catch and release only for me.  Not eating anything out of there.  

Serious question - have you caught anything in there with deformities?  Back in the time (80's and early 90's), recall some environmental studies that discovered some mutations in the fish ivo 4-mile.  It was part of a larger environmental effort on the Potomac.  Regret I don't know all the details, but it caused a ruckus a the time.  

3 minutes ago, RDM said:

Serious question - have you caught anything in there with deformities?  Back in the time (80's and early 90's), recall some environmental studies that discovered some mutations in the fish ivo 4-mile.  It was part of a larger environmental effort on the Potomac.  Regret I don't know all the details, but it caused a ruckus a the time.  

Nothing with serious deformities, but a lot of bass there have hyperpigmentation (black spots)

15 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

For those that saw my post yesterday related to the Winter Storm Watch affecting my ski trip to Jackson Hole, it is now a Warning. I need to share this area forecast discussion with my home weather forum. For this to happen while I am here is just unthinkable to me as I am never lucky with storm timing. Read this lol. I assure you I will take a jeb walk for everyone. 07f115d346ee04d4f2a80ffa49669663.jpg

Similar forecast here in Oregon Cascades.  18" overnight at Mt  Bachelor and another 40-50" expected before it starts winding down Wednesday.  Base depth snow pack will be 12-14 feet by Wednesday.  (from my house is it 8 miles west (1800' up) to deep snowpack and 21 miles to Mt Bachelor Parking lot)  Not near as much snow here at my house but does look like 18-24" by Wednesday morning. The April- May ski conditions should be awesome.  I am not missing my 47 years of winters in Virginia.  Even though there were some incredible storms and winters there the normal 6 months of deep winter here in the mountains is hard to match for winter weather lovers.  

15 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

You have another home weather forum other than this one? 

Anyways, enjoy your trip and share some good pics!

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I’ve got a pork butt smoking away today. Took the wee one out to get the Egg set up at the crack of dawn and got the meat on at 8:15 am. Feels great to get back to it again!

Do you like the egg?  Been thinking about getting one but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.  Probably a dumb question, but do you use that as your primary grill too (i.e. hamburgers/etc)?  Or should I keep the Weber for those things?

Wish I were here 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Gaylord MI 950 AM EST Sun Feb 24 2019 MIZ008-015-242300- /O.CON.KAPX.BZ.W.0002.190224T1800Z-190225T1200Z/ Chippewa-Mackinac- Including the cities of Sault Ste. Marie and St. Ignace 950 AM EST Sun Feb 24 2019 .

..BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 AM EST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Winds gusting 40 to 60 mph will cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant drifting of the snow is likely.

Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches, with localized amounts up to 7 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Chippewa and Mackinac Counties. * WHEN...From 1 PM this afternoon to 7 AM EST Monday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very dangerous to impossible. Damage to trees and power lines is likely.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel.

If you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle. && $$ http://www.weather.gov/gaylord

2 hours ago, frd said:

No storm has tracked up the Eastern seaboard this year in a good way.  No way to curve the flow. 

I am ready for the beach and the icecream man. I can smell the Coppertone now if I close my eyes. 

My god to live in the long periods where there was little snow here would be torture,  or better yet, without snow you can't get excited about snow and then no hobby. 

The GFS could be overplaying the cold but that does not work like you said , if has been addressed some how in the modeling.   

I am ready for camping. Still too early to dewinterize the trailer (probably the end of March/early April) but if we get a nice weekend in the next few weeks I might head up anyway. Wife doesn't like using the community showers and heads but she will have to deal. :) 

Try living through the 70's here in MD. Was too young to really realize how bad that decade was. The 79 storm was a real wakeup call for me as to what I had been missing all those years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I am ready for camping. Still too early to dewinterize the trailer (probably the end of March/early April) but if we get a nice weekend in the next few weeks I might head up anyway. Wife doesn't like using the community showers and heads but she will have to deal. :) 

Try living through the 70's here in MD. Was too young to really realize how bad that decade was. The 79 storm was a real wakeup call for me as to what I had been missing all those years.

Exactly , your wife will have to deal with it LOL. 

My enjoyment is surfing and body surfing , love the Wildwood, NJ beach.  Delaware beaches are a death trap with the massive fall off. They ruined them when they did beach replenshment. 

So, my brother-in-law and I head from Delaware all the way to North Wildwood, NJ to partake in the surf. ( and the ice cream too !!! ) 

I use MagicSeaweed.com  to time the tide and best waves. 

The only issue is with the beach it takes forever to warm up and is the last gate to summer. 

• Like 1

An Apology To @Ji----I've been on the anti-JI bandwagon all season long and you know what, Hes bucked the trend all season and has been generally correct.  I am now as Ji-amistic as JI is.. (at least for this season)  Seeing is believing for. 10 days out doesn't do it for me anymore   I'll be a JI-amist up until the time we are actually NOW CASTING something.

Just now, frd said:

Exactly , your wife will have to deal with it LOL. 

My enjoyment is surfing and body surfing , love the Wildwood, NJ beach.  Delaware beaches are a death trap with the massive fall off. They ruined them when they did beach replenshment. 

So, my brother-in-law and I head from Delaware all the way to North Wildwood, NJ to partake in the surf. ( and the ice cream too !!! ) 

I use MagicSeaweed.com  to time the tide and best waves. 

The only issue is with the beach it takes forever to warm up and is the last gate to summer. 

When I was younger I was at the beach at every opportunity to swim and party. Typically OC up through Bethany. Loved the swimming, fishing, crabbing, night clubbing, etc... But now that I have gotten older I really don't drink that much nor night club at all. The fishing and crabbing is nowhere what it used to be and as far as swimming I forgo that now because I don't want to be mistaken for a grounded whale. Would hate to have a crowd of people trying to shove me back into the water thinking they were saving me. :lol: So when we go to the beaches now it is for different reasons. The restaurants, the scenery, visiting new places. You know, the stuff us old farts like to do. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

When I was younger I was at the beach at every opportunity to swim and party. Typically OC up through Bethany. Loved the swimming, fishing, crabbing, night clubbing, etc... But now that I have gotten older I really don't drink that much nor night club at all. The fishing and crabbing is nowhere what it used to be and as far as swimming I forgo that now because I don't want to be mistaken for a grounded whale. Would hate to have a crowd of people trying to shove me back into the water thinking they were saving me. :lol: So when we go to the beaches now it is for different reasons. The restaurants, the scenery, visiting new places. You know, the stuff us old farts like to do. :) 

I hear ya, I am LMAO here.  :)

Yeah, some spots the crabs might be toxic.   That is sad.  

Back in the day I crab in North Wildwood, bring they home to my grandmother and she make a crab marinara with linguine , to die for ! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, frd said:

I hear ya, I am LMAO here.  :)

Yeah, some spots the crabs might be toxic.   That is sad.  

Back in the day I crab in North Wildwood, bring they home to my grandmother and she make a crab marinara with linguine , to die for ! 

When I was a kid I used to crab near the Key Bridge with my uncle, pretty close to Beth Steel. Talk about big (toxic) crabs. Ahh to be young and dumb.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

When I was a kid I used to crab near the Key Bridge with my uncle, pretty close to Beth Steel. Talk about big (toxic) crabs. Ahh to be young and dumb.

At least your still alive. 

I did a lot of foolish things in my youth too , we all did.  

• Like 1