Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

40 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I've been doing weenie research into historic snowstorms and was shocked to see how high the ratios were at DCA and BWI on 2/10/10- why was that? It doesn't seem like it would have been cold enough? According to NCDC records that was about a 28:1 ratio at both airports.

Dunno about 28-1 but I had very high ratios here. We were under the upper low and the ccb blew up right over us and snowed out on top of us all day. That’s a perfect setup for high ratios. 

• Thanks 1

Ok have to get this off my chest.  Anyone south of our sub doesn’t deserve snow. If they cared about it enough they would move somewhere it’s supposed to snow. I could never live there. I would go crazy. They can’t possibly be as passionate about snow as I am or they couldn’t live there so they don’t deserve it. 

Even here as good as my micro climate is I’m kinda on the low edge of what I can tolerate and am unhappy with about 30-40% of my winters and wonder why I don’t just move to a mountain town in northern New England or Colorado so I get enough snow every year and don’t have that frustration in my life.

And save the “your crazy” comments. I am fully aware I’m irrational and crazy when it comes to snow. I drive an extra hour everyday to avg 20” more snow a year. Yea I’m crazy. Just being honest about my feelings. No sense living in denial. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok have to get this off my chest.  Anyone south of our sub doesn’t deserve snow. If they cared about it enough they would move somewhere it’s supposed to snow. I could never live there. I would go crazy. They can’t possibly be as passionate about snow as I am or they couldn’t live there so they don’t deserve it. 

Even here as good as my micro climate is I’m kinda on the low edge of what I can tolerate and am unhappy with about 30-40% of my winters and wonder why I don’t just move to a mountain town in northern New England or Colorado so I get enough snow every year and don’t have that frustration in my life.

And save the “your crazy” comments. I am fully aware I’m irrational and crazy when it comes to snow. I drive an extra hour everyday to avg 20” more snow a year. Yea I’m crazy. Just being honest about my feelings. No sense living in denial. 

I feel the same. I have an 'out', in that my son lives in Breck (well, actually Silverthorne) so I can go and show up any time I want. He WANTS me to move out there when I retire (3-5 years) and I am looking, but boy property is high out that way......

I visited 5 times last year for a total of 30 days lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I feel the same. I have an 'out', in that my son lives in Breck (well, actually Silverthorne) so I can go and show up any time I want. He WANTS me to move out there when I retire (3-5 years) and I am looking, but boy property is high out that way......

I visited 5 times last year for a total of 30 days lol.

Love Colorado. WRT what I said obviously the mountains to the south don’t count. They get snow. But I can’t imagine how anyone that loves snow as much as some of us do could survive in a place like Charlotte or Raleigh where many years often go by between decent snowstorms. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Love Colorado. WRT what I said obviously the mountains to the south don’t count. They get snow. But I can’t imagine how anyone that loves snow as much as some of us do could survive in a place like Charlotte or Raleigh where many years often go by between decent snowstorms. 

Agree. Worse still is the Norfolk area. Although I have seen Williamsburg get pounded before, but that is rare. I have a step sister in Raleigh, she misses snow haha.

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

IMO nobody "deserves" or "doesn't deserve" snow. It's a natural phenomenon and obviously places with better climo can reasonably expect more, but I think it gets to an unhealthy level whenever anyone starts feeling entitled to snow, or tries judging who does or doesn't deserve snow. Also, people in the south who love snow also have a lot of other things to consider... moving away from where they grew up or where their family or job or community is, isn't easy, especially for someone who isn't at least upper middle class.

However, I will be honest, I do not wish to live somewhere that doesn't get much snow. I would be very resistant to the idea of moving south, though I might be content with a mild place on the west coast that has easy access to all kinds of great skiing. I am not content with the ~27" of snow that I average, but at the same time I accept my climo and where I live, and try to make the most of whatever event comes my way. But I would love for every winter to be like 2013-14, and there's a very eager part of me that wants to move to New Hampshire and fully enjoy their winters.

39 minutes ago, Fozz said:

IMO nobody "deserves" or "doesn't deserve" snow. It's a natural phenomenon and obviously places with better climo can reasonably expect more, but I think it gets to an unhealthy level whenever anyone starts feeling entitled to snow, or tries judging who does or doesn't deserve snow. Also, people in the south who love snow also have a lot of other things to consider... moving away from where they grew up or where their family or job or community is, isn't easy, especially for someone who isn't at least upper middle class.

However, I will be honest, I do not wish to live somewhere that doesn't get much snow. I would be very resistant to the idea of moving south, though I might be content with a mild place on the west coast that has easy access to all kinds of great skiing. I am not content with the ~27" of snow that I average, but at the same time I accept my climo and where I live, and try to make the most of whatever event comes my way. But I would love for every winter to be like 2013-14, and there's a very eager part of me that wants to move to New Hampshire and fully enjoy their winters.

I think you took my rant a little to literally. Lol

No one deserves or doesn’t deserve snow. That was supposed to be tongue in cheeck. But the part I was serious about was questioning how a true hard core snow lover could survive somewhere that gets 2 good snows a decade and my intent to someday live where it snows 100”+ and not have to worry anymore about the chase. 

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

my intent to someday live where it snows 100”+ and not have to worry anymore about the chase. 

Then what would you do you with the 23 extra hours in your day? A guaranteed 100" winter would guarantee your loss of passion for it within a couple of years, I'd wager

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I think you took my rant a little to literally. Lol

No one deserves or doesn’t deserve snow. That was supposed to be tongue in cheeck. But the part I was serious about was questioning how a true hard core snow lover could survive somewhere that gets 2 good snows a decade and my intent to someday live where it snows 100”+ and not have to worry anymore about the chase. 

Yeah I guess I misread that part. Having said that, if some smug New England snob told me that I don’t deserve snow, I’d be pissed :lol:

I’ve read a few threads in the southern forum about that topic, and basically most of them said that they stay because of family and familiarity with where they’ve been living all of their lives. Leaving all of that just to get more snow isn’t easy, unless snow is more important for them than all of those other parts of life. And they probably appreciate the little events (1-3” or less) much more than we do. 

That’s why if I do get lucky enough to move north, I at least want to know a few people in the area, and have easy access to Maryland for when I want to visit.

Snow is the ish, but 3 months of it is generally enough for me.  I’m a fan of all seasons, but if I have to rank ‘em I’m going Summer, Spring, Fall, Winter.  Snowstorms are the most fun, though, which is why I’m usually game.  Severe storms being a close second.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yeoman said:

Then what would you do you with the 23 extra hours in your day? A guaranteed 100" winter would guarantee your loss of passion for it within a couple of years, I'd wager

Maybe but I doubt it. I have spend winters in snowy places and it didn’t get old. I loved stepping outside to a snow covered landscape as much on the 30th day as the first. Just something about a snow covered ground feels right to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Maybe but I doubt it. I have spend winters in snowy places and it didn’t get old. I loved stepping outside to a snow covered landscape as much on the 30th day as the first. Just something about a snow covered ground feels right to me. 

And there would be a lot more time spent out in it, enjoying it, rather than constantly poring over models, desperately looking for the next chance of a few inches, and then all the hand wringing that goes along with the bust potential even at game time. Also more time for going to brew pubs and stuff, with a snow covered landscape.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I've been doing weenie research into historic snowstorms and was shocked to see how high the ratios were at DCA and BWI on 2/10/10- why was that? It doesn't seem like it would have been cold enough? According to NCDC records that was about a 28:1 ratio at both airports.

The ratios were good, but I am guessing that the bigger problem was undercatch in the gauges.  The climo sites are notorious for coming up with low precip amounts during winter storms.

• Thanks 1

For those that saw my post yesterday related to the Winter Storm Watch affecting my ski trip to Jackson Hole, it is now a Warning. I need to share this area forecast discussion with my home weather forum. For this to happen while I am here is just unthinkable to me as I am never lucky with storm timing. Read this lol. I assure you I will take a jeb walk for everyone. 07f115d346ee04d4f2a80ffa49669663.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3