• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

Not sure how to grade this winter here. It hasn’t been awful by the numbers although I am still a healthy bit short of climo.  There have been a good number of snow events but most have kind of felt underwhelming. A lot of fringe and low to low end moderate events. A nickel and dime winter here for sure and that’s just not my thing. 

The only exception to that would be a winter like 93 and 94 up here which (other than the Superstorm) were nickel and dime lots of 3-6” events but so cold that both built up snowpack and had long stretches with snowcover. That would be awesome. But a bunch of 3-5” events that melt before the next one kind of feels a little deflating. 

I know some would love to get a bunch of 3-4” snowstorms and if they think I’m ridiculous I don’t blame them. Just saying how I feel. 

I think if I can get one more storm that tops the November 15 storm as my biggest of the year then this year jumps up to a C+ or B but if I don’t get anything else significant and that November storm ends up by only significant snowstorm of the year then it’s a D or C-  

If I don’t get anymore snow this year it would finish 8th out of 13 years. Not awful but given high expectations a let down for sure. This could all change with one 10”+ storm in March though!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Not sure how to grade this winter here. It hasn’t been awful by the numbers although I am still a healthy bit short of climo.  There have been a good number of snow events but most have kind of felt underwhelming. A lot of fringe and low to low end moderate events. A nickel and dime winter here for sure and that’s just not my thing. 

The only exception to that would be a winter like 93 and 94 up here which (other than the Superstorm) were nickel and dime lots of 3-6” events but so cold that both built up snowpack and had long stretches with snowcover. That would be awesome. But a bunch of 3-5” events that melt before the next one kind of feels a little deflating. 

I know some would love to get a bunch of 3-4” snowstorms and if they think I’m ridiculous I don’t blame them. Just saying how I feel. 

I think if I can get one more storm that tops the November 15 storm as my biggest of the year then this year jumps up to a C+ or B but if I don’t get anything else significant and that November storm ends up by only significant snowstorm of the year then it’s a D or C-  

If I don’t get anymore snow this year it would finish 8th out of 13 years. Not awful but given high expectations a let down for sure. This could all change with one 10”+ storm in March though!!!

Yes, I did think we had a good shot of a 2002-03 type winter but it just never materialized.  Way too many Great Lake cutters for me to give this winter a B grade.  I'd put it at a C, pending what happens in March. 

I don't necessarily need climo snowfall for it to be considered a "good winter". The problem this winter is all the inch or less nickel/dime slop crap that provide zero enjoyment, but do add up to pad numbers. That includes today's inch. There have been 2 decent events here where I have gotten out and enjoyed the snow. That is below par for my idea of a good winter, and my standards aren't very high.

• Like 1

I work for a company that has a vdot contract for snow removal in Fairfax County (merrifield) to be exact, ive been doing it for 9 years now and it amazes me the amount of complaints from citizens whether it’s a large storm or small. If most truly understood the amount of time and hard work that goes into trying to keep roads clear, not one person would say a word. Not to mention the folks who just can’t seem to stay off the roads during snow.....let’s be honest, with the amount of closings yesterday 95% of the traffic had no reason to be out lol. Rant over !!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Big fan of the trade!

Same here.  Nice speed and defense to help on the 4th line and PK.  And didn't give up anything of value.  Big improvement over DSP and Jaskin.  Hopefully, DSP can get his ass in shape over the next month-plus, and come back in time to enter his Playoff Beast Mode.

• Like 1