Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2019

George BM

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Probably one reason I go with the high gravity stuff. DFH 120 min is a sipper, and by the time I am done its like, nah don't need anymore. Of course even though its one beer, its really more like drinking 3 lol.

interesting point same calories as a 60 minute but the punch of 3

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Is that right? Totally counter intuitive. All that barley/alcohol, you would think it has to have significantly more calories.

oh you're right

a google misinformed

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA 450 18.00%
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA 209

6.00%

that seems much more reasonable

so 3:2 ratio in terms of effectiveness

• Like 1

I don’t like to drink during the week due to 

a)getting up at 5am

b) a promise I made to myself to NOT become my dad who was a raging alcoholic. 

So I limit my booze to two drinks on fridays and Saturdays. Occasional splurge on holidays or other celebrations. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Probably one reason I go with the high gravity stuff. DFH 120 min is a sipper, and by the time I am done its like, nah don't need anymore. Of course even though its one beer, its really more like drinking 3 lol.

I think I've actually cut back my drinking a bit by going with the high gravity stuff and just having one (maybe two if I'm crazy).  I've really gotten into barley wines and trappist ales lately.  I had Barrel Aged Down the Line Barleywine from Rip Current last night (14.2%) and it took me an entire movie to sip the whole thing down (really enjoyed it).  I also love imperial stouts more than I used to.  Now these styles are making their way into our brewery's lineup, as I've brewed many small batches over the last year and now we are ready to scale up.  The ipa's we brew are the basis for our reputation and pay the bills as they are very popular, but I'm hoping to have a much broader portfolio of beers going forward and hope that people appreciate these styles more (barleywines, imperial stouts, belgian dubbels, tripels, quads, etc.).

Enjoying a high gravity beer or two at home hits the spot for me -- but when I'm at the pub and I get going on the free ipas out of the tap the night starts out fun then quickly turns into me suddenly waking up the next morning feeling like crap and wondering what happened . . .

• Like 3

Just now, jonjon said:

I think I've actually cut back my drinking a bit by going with the high gravity stuff and just having one (maybe two if I'm crazy).  I've really gotten into barley wines and trappist ales lately.  I had Barrel Aged Down the Line Barleywine from Rip Current last night (14.2%) and it took me an entire movie to sip the whole thing down (really enjoyed it).  I also love imperial stouts more than I used to.  Now these styles are making their way into our brewery's lineup, as I've brewed many small batches over the last year and now we are ready to scale up.  The ipa's we brew are the basis for our reputation and pay the bills as they are very popular, but I'm hoping to have a much broader portfolio of beers going forward and hope that people appreciate these styles more (barleywines, imperial stouts, belgian dubbels, tripels, quads, etc.).

Enjoying a high gravity beer or two at home hits the spot for me -- but when I'm at the pub and I get going on the free ipas out of the tap the night starts out fun then quickly turns into me suddenly waking up the next morning feeling like crap and wondering what happened . . .

This is exactly where I am with beer drinking most of the time. My go-to Imperial stout is the DFH WWS, which is 18%. I get it really cold and then slowly sip it (and sniff) and it really opens up as it warms. Lots of dark fruit and chocolate. Thats my idea of a beer drinking experience.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This does tend to happen. I really try to limit myself to one 'happy hour' beer a day during the week. I eat a very healthy diet overall, plus I workout, so not too worried about putting on weight. Just don't want it to become too much of a habit- one, then another, oh whats one more lol.

I used to go to the gym, but kids have gotten in the way of that. We’re it not for that, i would t worry about it too much. I eat well and walk a couple miles a day, so I’m not hefting up or anything - just need to keep things in check.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not sure where I have been. Just saw the Manny Machado deal. Damn. Didn't see that happening in this market.

Besides signing his BIL, the White Sox offered him more money if he hit incentives (8 years, $250 million, with incentives that brought the amount over $300 million).  But San Diego is more guaranteed money at 10 years/$300 million.  Plus better weather.  The White Sox brass interviewed yesterday were shocked/upset.

Will be interesting to see how fast Harper signs with a team.  I've been thinking for a while that if one signed the other would soon follow. 

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

i'm at B-.  bit too much rain for my liking, but this is certainly a better winter than the last 2.  it might be better than '16, too, minus the blizzard part.

Not sure how to grade it really. Each and every event here(including today) underachieved with the exception of one. After today I am slightly more than halfway to climo. In general I am not picky about how I get snow, but compared to the last 2 years(biased by the 2 beach bombs I chased) this feels very underwhelming. I need a legit warning level event to give it a C I think.

8 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

Besides signing his BIL, the White Sox offered him more money if he hit incentives (8 years, $250 million, with incentives that brought the amount over $300 million).  But San Diego is more guaranteed money at 10 years/$300 million.  Plus better weather.  The White Sox brass interviewed yesterday were shocked/upset.

Will be interesting to see how fast Harper signs with a team.  I've been thinking for a while that if one signed the other would soon follow. 

Yeah this should bode well for Harper. I kinda thought Manny would take the WS deal, but then this came out of nowhere. I know the Sox are not very good and in rebuilding mode, but SD isn't much better I don't think. So yeah maybe the weather and the culture out there was more appealing. I always thought he would end up with an up and coming team like Atlanta or Philly. From the SD perspective, its probably a good deal. He is young, and would likely still be very productive at the end of the deal. Plus a really good draw.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah this should bode well for Harper. I kinda thought Manny would take the WS deal, but then this came out of nowhere. I know the Sox are not very good and in rebuilding mode, but SD isn't much better I don't think. So yeah maybe the weather and the culture out there was more appealing. I always thought he would end up with an up and coming team like Atlanta or Philly. From the SD perspective, its probably a good deal. He is young, and would likely still be very productive at the end of the deal. Plus a really good draw.

Regardless of IL or CA, the state taxes will take a good chunk out of it.

Plus SD threw out $144 million in a long-term contract last year (7 years?) for a player whose name escapes me at the moment.  So they're trying to do something.